It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

ecyohcaihsenek HB User
What Are The Chances Of Me Being Diagnosed With Lupus If My Mother Had It

What Are The Chances Of Me Being Diagnosed With Lupus If My Mother Had It

Old 11-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: What Are The Chances Of Me Being Diagnosed With Lupus If My Mother Had It

Hi. I've read that people who have lupus in first-degree relatives have a *slightly* increased chance of developing it & that it's very far from a "given" that you'll end up with it. (The odds in identical twins are a lot higher than in, say, mother-daughter.)

I think the mainstream lupus books speak to this: you could find some at your local library or bookstore. Also, you could make sure that you're familiar with the classic signs & symptoms. Even though your risk may not be elevated much at all, you'd maybe feel more comfortable if you were armed with some up-to-date basic knowledge. And be mindful of sun exposure (which everyone should be, lupus or no lupus).

Hope this helps a bit! Take good care, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
(female)

mysobriquet HB User
Re: What Are The Chances Of Me Being Diagnosed With Lupus If My Mother Had It

i think it differs based on clinician...

growing up, no one said it was heriditary, so i never worried about it...

when i first started going to the doctor, they said it wasn't possible... by the time i was diagnosed, more doctors agreed that it was genetically involved...

who knows?

i know that my mother has a "mutated" form of it according to docs and that her mother died of it in the 50's... and all of her mother's 7 sisters had other autoimmune disorders including one other w/lupus (discoid)...

Closed Thread