It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

corrine12 HB User
plaquenil

can i take plaquenil while i am pregnant.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

SarinaRose123 HB User
Re: plaquenil

my mom has a drug nursing book and it sez that the preg risk is a class c. it also sez that when nursing you need to talk to your doctor, because the drug is expressed through the breast milk. so when i have learned (this is my opion) thats if it can go through the breast milk then it most likely can go through the placenta during pregnacy. and i cant remember what the preg risk class c means (bad or good) call you doctor or OB or someone and ask. hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. There may be other things you want to ask about, in addition to taking Plaquenil while pregnant... In the "sticky post" about TEST RESULTS (see the top of the thread list), in the resource cited, then Rheumatology & then lupus, you'll find some basic info on Lupus & Pregnancy. A couple of things jump out right away. e.g., ADVANCE PLANNING before attempting to become pregnant. Being FLARE-FREE for "x" months. Seeing an Ob/Gyn who specializes in HIGH-RISK pregnancy. ETC.

With best wishes, Vee

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
(female)

wen10 HB User

Hello Corrine,
i was told it is one of the safer drugs to take whilst pregnant and this came from the leading hospital in europe for lupus (London Bridge Hospital). I would check with your consultant though.
Good luck.

I am due to start this drug too and am trying to get pregnant.

wenXXX.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
(female)

Jules90 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrine12 View Post
can i take plaquenil while i am pregnant.
I am new to this message board. I am a 35 year old female and I took Plaquenil during my last pregnancy (one tablet a day) and everything turned out fine. To be honest I had a perfect pregnancy! I was also concerned about the breast milk issue and actually brought it up with my daughter's ped. and althought to me honest I do not recall what she said about it, however did not express concern. Now she is a lively 3 1/2 year old.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
(female)

TisJustMe HB User

I took 200 mgs twice/day during my entire pregnancy and while I breastfed along with quite a few other lupus meds. I was however followed by a high risk ob/gyn doctor and a rheumatologist who specializes in lupus and pregnancy. As well, I spent the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy in the hospital where I was monitored 24 hours a day because the baby was not growing properly - probably because of the lupus. I was told that IUGR (intra-uterine growth restricted) babies are very common to lupus patients. My baby boy was born small but healthy and only had to stay in the hospital for a week for observation after birth. It is very important that you receive the proper medical attention both before and during your pregnancy. Good Luck and God Bless.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

wen10 HB User

Thanks ladies,
that has reassured me in taking the plaquinel. Am on steroids at present and keep putting off taking the plaqquinel but know i do need to start it as i have RA aswell as possible hughes.
wenXXX.

Closed Thread