It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

lenad HB User
Question Soon to start plaquenil

I was dix with lupus 4 1/2 years ago after the birth of my daughter. Ive had arthritis for 18 years and knew I might have had lupus then. I've been on a low dose of prednisone for three of the 4 years. I havent filled my prescription for plaquenil yet and wanted to know what to expect.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
(female)

watoozie HB User
Re: Soon to start plaquenil

I've taken Plaquenil for a little over 2 1/2 years and I would be afraid to be without it!! I feel so much better. My headaches are gone, my skin is better, my aches aren't quite as bad, the little red dots on my legs are gone, I'm not having mouth ulcers and dizzy spells anymore.
Give it about 4 months to kick in, that is what it took for me anyway, before I really started to feel better. I think you will feel much better. I also take an anti-inflamatory, Feldene.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

janmar123 HB User

I have been on Plaquenil and it is a good drug. My symtoms really improved after 3-4 months. Unfortunately, I became allergic (rashes) to the drug and had to go off of it. I was very disappointed, however I have started chloraquin which is a similiar drug that has been arouund a long time. If you are able totolerate Plaquenil it is a very good drug with little side effects. It can bring you great benefit... Good luck

Old 11-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I wish I'd had Plaquenil years ago! It's helped with fatigue, pain, photosensitivity, etc. Also, I'd had GI & urinary problems for decades, and migraines, and anemia; and these four nastier problems receded so fast that my head spun. I still have some pain & fatgue, but much less than prior. And I have to be very careful to block sun.

At my rheumie's request, I have my eyes checked twice yearly, but he assured me that his practice (large & in a huge metro area) had *never* seen a case of Plaquenil-induced eye problems. So I decided NOT to overworry it & just go to have my eye check-ups as requested. I've taken it seven years now & will probably be on it for the rest of my life.

FYI, Plaquenil is considered MUCH safer than the older antimalarials & MUCH safer than steroids; thus I consider myself lucky to be a candidate for it.

Hope this is what you're after. If not, just yell, OK? Best wishes to you, from Vee

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
(female)

watoozie HB User

I cannot find the drug Chloraquin anywhere - what is it?? Did your doctor prescribe it?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
(female)

wen10 HB User

Chloroquine is the same as hydroxychloroquine and Plaquinel, they just have different ingrediants in them to pad out the drug. Hope this helps.
Best wishes
wenXXX.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Watoozie, Chloroquine & Plaquenil are antimalarials. Chloroquine (Aralen) is an older, stronger & quicker-acting drug; but it is not considered nearly as safe as hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), due to greater odds of eye toxicity, which may or may not reverse when chloroquine is discontinued. So chloroquine is usually prescribed only for short periods & only if problems bar using the safer Plaquenil.

In contrast, the (rarer) eye toxicity caused by Plaquenil is believed to be fully REVERSIBLE if Plaquenil must be discontinued.

Dr. Wallace provides more detail in his lupus hardcover, available in most libraries. The above is just a few of the points he makes.

Hope this helps. Vee

Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
(female)

watoozie HB User

Thanks, Vee, I think I'll stay with Plaquenil!! My eye doctor says he has never seen anyone on Plaquenil have a problem with their eyes. I would certainly be afraid to be without it, I feel so much better since I've been on it and haven't had any problems with it.

Closed Thread