It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User
Very cool news.

Hi ! Just found out that i have "leaky gut syndrom" which can cause autoimmune disease, such as Lupus, ect... Food allergies contributed to this. Did not know that i am allergic to milk, eggs, soy and cain sugar. My Rhum. dr. never even considered this. I went to a natural dr. and he suspected this (to my surprise !) Food allergies can cause different reactions for people. Anywhere from skin sensitivities, stomach problems, autoimmmune disease, ect... By eliminating these foods along with proper suppliments, will be the start of healing your gut in order to get better. For some people it takes a long time anywhere from three months to a year. If anyone is interested, look it up in ******. It is a very interesting and complex condition. Any ?? I will do my best to give you answers !! Oh yeah ! My natrual dr. is hoping to get me off of these terrible meds. eventually !! Prednisone and Methotrexate. What a blessing that would be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Very cool news.

Hi. Are your natural doctor & rheumatologist going to work together? I'm curious because I can't even manage to get a G.P. to acknowledge the existence of my rheumatologist, and thus have burned thru a few GP's since my previous (good) one retired... (Aaargh!)

That said, I hope you keep improving & can get off the heavier meds. That would be a real triumph for you. All best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

selfdiagnosed HB User

I wondered about his too! I think that I am going to try to find a natural doctor around here to get some advice! Meanwhile - after Thanksgiving...I started by giving up meat. When I was pregnant (both times) I didn't eat meat and I felt a ton better than I do right now. I will also give up dairy, but I am going one step at a time for now.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Hi ! About my drs.
My Rhum. dr. is pretty mad that i have gone to see a natural dr. It was difficult for me to obtain my medical records from her... She looks at natural healing as "nonsense" She, like all drs. ARE NOT educated to heal with nutrition. My natural dr, is a medical dr. as well. He knows both sides. He just wants to start the healing process of my gut with some natural suppliments and for me to go on this special diet. Leaky gut syndrome sometimes takes a while to heal. So my plan is to stay with my Rhum. dr. until i am able to get off of my meds. As far as them working together, i feel no need. I truly feel that the medical field is all about making money with medicating people.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear "What", Just be careful not to take products whose content you don't understand. I think you have to AVOID products that BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM, because your immune system is already overactive & produces aberrant autoantibodies. The goal of your current meds is to quell this overheated response, so you don't want to counteract that. In his hardcover, Dr. Wallace lists natural subtances that should not be taken by lupus patients, and there are probably other such lists available. Anyway, keep us posted, OK? Sending my best wishes, Vee

Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Hi Vee. Thanks for looking out for me ! The suppliments i take are not to "boost" the immune system. They are to repair the small intestine ( where the problems are taking place.) All of them help with the inflamation as well. Have you ever considered having food allergy testing done ? I had NO IDEA that i was allergic to anything ! If you read online, there is so much info. how much damage this can do to your body. If you don't mind, what is your situation with Lupus ?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, again. I'm saying that *ingredients* are important, that's all...

Anyway... I have SCLE (was Ro-positive) but have been stable for 7 years, taking only Plaquenil & avoiding sun scrupulously. Still have pain & fatigue.

I had serious GI problems for 20+ years that stopped on the proverbial dime after I started Plaquenil, which is why your initial post caught my eye. I took useless meds (Librax), saw useless doctors Lots ), observed hideously restricted & useless diets (Jello! Bouillon! ) , etc. AND had all the invasive GI tests repeatedly before age 30. (Also had sciatica, migraines, anemia, chronic cystitis: these abated quickly, too.) My rashes were the last thing to hit, which is too bad, because they were critical to Dx.

I can therefore really appreciate your wanting to get to the cause(s) of your GI problems! How about you? How long since Dx? What problems led up to Dx? Have you seen the same rheumie all along? Take good care & hang in there! Vee

Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Hello! Well dx was two and a half years ago when i gradually had more and more knee pain. When it finally swelled up i saw a g.p. then an ortheopedic dr. I was doing advil for a long time and ok with it. I had had given birth to my son and after that both knees swelled along with body pain ( in general ) and a butterfly rash on my face after being in the sun. That's when i found my Rhum. dr. My blood test results gave no specification to what i had besides a positive ANA. ( Basically a connective tissue disease) I forgot to add that after having my daughter first is all basically when this began. So after having children, my body began to change, which is common. I have been hanging in there with my Rhumy. Since the birth of my son about 8 months ago. She has been nice and helpful to her capacity. My natural dr. is just wonderful !! He has seen time and time again patients ( like myself) with food allergies suffering from diseases that are curable with eating correctly. By identifing the allergic food,( or foods )to eliminate it out of your diet along with a healthy diet should improve things ! The next step is to get a Mercury poisioning test done. He feels that if it is positive, that it could have contributed to my health issues. I go back to him in two months for my next visit.
It is great that you are doing well on your one medicine! Not only am i on Pred. and Mtx my Rhum. Dr. wants me to go on the one you are on too ! She is nuts! This whole thing has been an absolute nightmare and i have never fully accepted it for some wierd reason ?? Now i know why !!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
(female)

wen10 HB User

Hello Whatishappening,
am pleased you have found someone you trust in helping and finding answers for you but please keep on seeing your consultant aswell as if there was a diet that could enable everyone not to take the awful drugs i guess we would all be on it. I think it is the drugs such as mtx and prednisoline that slow down the diseases which i dont think diets can do although diets can help with inflammation but not the disease itself. Goodluck though and please keep us posted of your progress.
Takecare and best wishes
wenXXX.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Dear "What", The newest thinking in rheumatology is that as many people as can tolerate it should take Plaquenil, even those who also must take the stronger drugs. FYI, the antimalarials are the LIGHTEST tier of lupus meds. Second: steroids. Third: immunosuppressants.

So your rheumie suggestion about adding Plaquenil does suggest that she's trying to get you to the lighter drugs.

Have you read any of the lupus hardcovers? Dr. Wallace does cover alternative approaches in his book, to augment the traditional approach, though, not to supersede it. For what this is worth... Take care! Bye for now, Vee

Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Hi Vee. As far as the Plaquinil, my Rhumy. suggested taking this at first saying that this is a drug of the safer kind. She also said that there is no guarantee this will work for me. She said it could take several months and to go on the pred. and mtx right away. ( i could hardly walk at this point) Now that i basically can't live without these drugs and maybe feeling only 50% better... she wants me to go on the plaquinil also... " you can only take so much asprin while stepping on a tack " That's the way my natural dr. feels about my condition.
( wen 10 ) Just by going to my natural dr. he informed me that my hips were out of line, which was caused by falling a while ago. He corrected this by using prolotheropy injections AND that i probably have food allergies ( which were confirmed to my surprise by tests.) NO OTHER DR. NEW THIS ! OR EVEN WANTED TO TEST FOR! This includes my gp, ortho. and Rhumy. doctors !! ( Dr. Magaziner, he's online and been in business for 20+ years) Most people are uninformed about treating conditions naturally, they just go to their dr. Anyway, my dr. basically said to stop eating the foods i am allergic too, take some natural intestine healers and begin the process of "healing" my leaky gut syndrome. This in return will eventually normalize my body to get well ! Other dr.s just know how to write out a prescription without suggesting anything else. Wow, what a thought if everyone was to catch on to holistic drs. ect... how many jobs in the medical field would be lost ! How interesting !

Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

"Whatis", People who arrive at the rheumie's office in dysfunctional misery often have to be given stronger drugs at first. This just happened to a relative of mine, and I was stunned when I learned how much prednisone she was on & for how long. This I learned AFTER she was rushed to the ER with stomach bleeding! Scary.

So, I hear 'ya! I firmly believe that diet is very imporant, but I'm just inherently cynical about claims that lupus can be CURED by diet. But *you'll* know as you continue how you feel, and *you're* the one who counts here!

I personally don't think most doctors are in it for the money. My vote would be something even worse: ego! (You may gather I've had my issues with the profession.) Anyway, may you make great strides in feeling better. Best wishes, Vee

Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Just my two cents so take them for what they are worth...well all of about 2 cents! lol... but I wouldnt trust ANY doctor that told me he could cure lupus with herbs and diets. If this was the case it would most definatly have made the Journal of Medicine since they have been trying to find a cure for some time. There are doctors that believe they can also cure cancer with natural herbs. While I believer there are probably herbs and diets out there that could help with the disease and maybe make it less active, if a holistic dr told me to stop taking my other meds and do nothing but change my diet and take herbs, I had better be prepared for the damage down the road that would certainly be taking place. Just because something is natural doesnt make it any less dangerous. Herbs can be just as toxic as prescription medications. Many medications are systitized herbs with the compounds broken down to make sure the exact amount of the compound needed for the medication is included in each dose.

It is your body, and I truly wish you the best of luck. I have 4 children and there is no way that I could even begin to take a chance on coming off my meds and letting this disease run rampant on me. Nevermind that I would be unable to take care of my kids, I would like to be around for my 8 year old son to graduate high school.

Anyway, best of luck to you...just my two cents. take it for what it is worth.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Just want you guys to read an interesting article. " The danger of food allergies" by Dr. Len Lopez. This basically explains everything. Look it up on the net and let me know what you think.

Closed Thread