It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innocence HB User
ANA and ds-DNA were negative 6 months ago, but could they be positive now?

I was suspected of having lupus or a similar autoimmune disease about six months ago, so my rheumatologist ran a few blood tests, including ANA and ds-DNA, which were all negative..and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. However, ive been having more problems since then, including swollen lymph nodes..and I've been to see general (called GPs in the UK) doctors and they've all asked me when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and whether I have an appointment with a rheumatologist soon...so perhaps they suspect something. I have a lot of lupus symptoms, so I was wondering whether it's possible that this time my ANA, etc will be positive???? Has this happened to anyone?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: ANA and ds-DNA were negative 6 months ago, but could they be positive now?

Innocence, I'm merely a patient. That said, I *think* results for MOST, if not all, of the blood tests can fluctuate as the disease flares/recedes. FYI, in his U.S. lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace lists MANY autoantibodies seen in lupus, in addition to anti-ds-DNA & the threshhold ANA test. e.g., antihistone, anti-Sm, anti-RNP, anti-Ro, anti-La, antiphospholipid, etc.

In the UK, I think Dr. Graham Hughes is the best-known rheumie/author. He did breakthrough work on antiphospholipid syndrome, aka Hughes' syndrome, aka "sticky blood" syndrome. FYI, there are sticky posts at the top of the thread list on APS, on lupus diagnostic criteria, and on lupus test results.

I was Dx'ed with fibromyalgia, too. And Lyme. Awful thing was that I slouched around for 8+ years with a rash I later learned was 100% diagnostic of a subset called subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE). I hope you see a rheumie, one very sharp about lupus in all its guises, subsets, clinical symptoms, blood tests, etc. Best wishes to you, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

Hildie41 HB User
Re: ANA and ds-DNA were negative 6 months ago, but could they be positive now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocence View Post
I was suspected of having lupus or a similar autoimmune disease about six months ago, so my rheumatologist ran a few blood tests, including ANA and ds-DNA, which were all negative..and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. However, ive been having more problems since then, including swollen lymph nodes..and I've been to see general (called GPs in the UK) doctors and they've all asked me when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and whether I have an appointment with a rheumatologist soon...so perhaps they suspect something. I have a lot of lupus symptoms, so I was wondering whether it's possible that this time my ANA, etc will be positive???? Has this happened to anyone?

Hello, I had a simular experience with my GP. He ran an 'ana' and it was negative, but I still had alot of other symptoms, so he sent me to an RA Dr. He also ran an 'ana' and other test. IT came back positive. He did tell me I had FM and could or couldnt say if I had 'lupus'. All my first BW like DNA DS, SS-A and SS-B for Sjogren's was (-). I too have alot of the symptoms like swollen-painful joints, extreme fatigue, muscle pain, etc. I dont have the typical rash. I wish you the best.
Hildie

Closed Thread