It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
quick question.....

Hi, does anybody know if the ANA test, anti-nuclear AB would be effected if one was on antibiotics (ceftin). Would it cause a positive result?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: quick question.....

Using a popular powerful search engine, I read that between 7 and 10 percent of people taking this medication develop a skin rash and positive ana. I hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

o.k not clear on what that means ......does that mean that by taking this antibiotic you would have a true postive if you have lupus or you could have a false postive ana by taking an antibiotic before testing. I remember reading that taking antibiotics of other drugs can alter your test result but it did not clarify in what way. Can you please clarify?

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
(female)

realisticchic HB User

The way I understood it is that, if you were normal (no Lupus ) and had a normal negative ana, and then began taking this medication it could cause you to develop a positive ana. The articles I read did not mention in specific what would happen to a person with Lupus who took the medication. That said, knowing that there are medications out there that can cause a normal person to get drug induced lupus, and that those same drugs can make someone with lupus terribly ill (speaking from personal experience), I would assume that Ceftin, since it is capable of making non-lupus people get a positive ana, would definitely be capable of causing someone with lupus to develop a truly positive ana once again. When I mentioned personal experience above, I was prescribed griseofulvin for suspected ringworm (turned out it was actually scle rash), It caused me to flare horribly, with organ involvement......and, a positive ana.....believe me when I say it was truly positive, as in, Lupus was running wild ana, not a false positive where all I had was a positive ana with no symptoms. So, if you took the drug and then got a positive ana after being negative, it would probably be really wise to have your urine checked and additional bloodwork, just to be sure nothing internal is going on, even if you don't have any symptoms....kidney involvment can be really sneaky Keep in mind, I am in no way a medical proffessional.

Closed Thread