It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

jenrjen HB User
Lupus or MS

A little over 2 years ago I started felling numbness in my hands and eventually lost the strength in them. My elbows and feet began to hurt with this so I went to the dr and had xrays and blood tests done. Xrays came back normal, no arthritis but blood test came back positive for Lupus. Dr had me come back in for another blood test because sometimes the positive is a false positive and sure enough it was false. My hands strength is slightly better but not normal by any means and the numbness has gotten worse so went to another dr recently and he did xrays of my neck to check for pinched nerves and another blood test. Again, showed positive "Anti-inflamitory conditions". I have to go back again to rule out, I'm thinking, Lupus. Also in the heat of the summer I get a raised red area around my stomach that I really can't all a rash because it is solid red splotchy areas. The numbness in my hands is mostly at night and can't get a complete nights sleep without waking up. Has anyone with Lupus ever experienced these kind of symptoms? Also, my Dad has MS, could this be anything linked MS?
Thank you in advance,
jenrjen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Re: Lupus or MS

Hi Jenrjen,

Did you check out the sticky post at the top of this message board about the diagnosis criteria for Lupus? It is real helpful because it lists the eleven criteria for diagnosing Lupus. I'm no doctor, but it can be challenging to receive either a diagnosis of Lupus or MS because the symptoms can vary and be over a long period of time. I was diagnosed with Lupus by one Rheumatologist in May and now my current Rheumatologist is not 100% confident with the original diagnosis.

There are many blood tests for Lupus (ANA, Sed Rate, Rheumatoid Factor, Anti-La, Anti-Ro, etc.) and urine tests to check the kidney function. Positive results from these tests plus other symptoms, such as joint pain, swelling, malar rash, hair loss, mouth ulcers, nose ulcers, fatigue, etc. help the Dr. to come to the conlcusion of Lupus.

Also, have you had a MRI of your brain yet? Often neurologists look for lesions on the brain for MS and perform a neurological exam. I was tested for this, as well, because for some time I had numbness and tingling down both arms to my finger tips and one side of my face. It turned out I had myofascial pain disorder and muscle knots in my shoulder blades and neck were causing the numbness and tingling.

I know it is a great deal to take in and it can be very challenging not having any definitive answers. I am not having such an easy time of the wait-and-see method, but would rather get a definitive answer than an incorrect one. I hope you get some answers soon. Please keep us bosted. I wish you all the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

jenrjen HB User
Re: Lupus or MS

Hi Angie10,
No I guess I missed the sticky post. I'll have to go and read it and thanks for replying. Since I am just getting started with the tests I haven't had an MRI yet, just the blood test and 3 xray views of my neck. I feel like this is going to be a long process of ruling out this or that before I get down to the real problem. Talking to my Dad about his MS revealed a whole battery of tests they did on him before they diagnosed him so I'm thinking they will focus on the Lupus first and if they can't blame my symptoms on that then we'll probably move on to testing for MS. I'm like you and don't care for the waiting. I would rather know the answer so that the treating process can begin and I can know what I'm up against and start fighting back. I hope you get your answer and it's one that you can live comfortably with.
Good luck and thank you again for replying,
Jenrjen

Closed Thread