It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

bonnie1974 HB User
postive speckeled ana titer 1:1280

I have been sick for over a year, went to the er and he sespected autoimmune, he pulled all kinds of blood my ra factor read <20, my lyme was positive only for p41 both on eia and westernblot, I did have a bulls eye rash 2 years ago that I was told was ringworm. the infectious disease doc thought it was a false positive. I see a rumatologist on wed. I live in nc and the have a very low rate of lyme so I dont believe they know to much. Alot of my syptoms are nero and alot of pain in hands wrists feet and knees. do you think there is a possiablity of lyme over lupus.

thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: postive speckeled ana titer 1:1280

Binnie, hi. Since I'm a patient, I can't guess whether your symptoms & labs more resemble lupus or Lyme. But you could ask your doctors---
1. if ANA elevates in Lyme
2. what a single lesion suggests, as opposed to recurrent skin episodes. (Do you have ANY skin problems that recur? Even things that don't itch, scar, etc.? Mention everything, on skin & all other!)

I was misdiagnosed as possible Lyme when I first got annular (targetlike) rashes; but I had multiple lesions at once, with new episodes every 3 months. Ringworm was mentioned by multiple local dermies, also erythema annulare. I was finally Dx'ed, by a combo of teaching hospital rheumie & dermatopathologist, with SCLE (subacute cutaneous lupus erythamatosus). My rash was SCLE, the annular form. (There's a second SCLE-specific rash called papulosquamous.) I finally tested positive for anti-Ro, which is seen in many (not all) SCLE patients, and also in Sjogren's syndrome.

Have you read the "sticky posts" (permanent info posts at top of thread list)? The one about test results describes specific autoimmue-type tests that go *beyond* ANA. Alone, ANA isn't diagnostic, alas, because it elevates in multiple diseases, or due to a passing virus, or sometimes due to a family tendency.

I hope on Wed. the rheumie takes a fresh look at everything & doesn't narrow his thinking too early. Some things can take time to sort thru, but better you get answers that fit & eventually treatment that fits! It's NOT easy to go thru, I know. Let us know how you're doing, OK? Hang in there! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
(female)

bonnie1974 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Binnie, hi. Since I'm a patient, I can't guess whether your symptoms & labs more resemble lupus or Lyme. But you could ask your doctors---
1. if ANA elevates in Lyme
2. what a single lesion suggests, as opposed to recurrent skin episodes. (Do you have ANY skin problems that recur? Even things that don't itch, scar, etc.? Mention everything, on skin & all other!)

I was misdiagnosed as possible Lyme when I first got annular (targetlike) rashes; but I had multiple lesions at once, with new episodes every 3 months. Ringworm was mentioned by multiple local dermies, also erythema annulare. I was finally Dx'ed, by a combo of teaching hospital rheumie & dermatopathologist, with SCLE (subacute cutaneous lupus erythamatosus). My rash was SCLE, the annular form. (There's a second SCLE-specific rash called papulosquamous.) I finally tested positive for anti-Ro, which is seen in many (not all) SCLE patients, and also in Sjogren's syndrome.

Have you read the "sticky posts" (permanent info posts at top of thread list)? The one about test results describes specific autoimmue-type tests that go *beyond* ANA. Alone, ANA isn't diagnostic, alas, because it elevates in multiple diseases, or due to a passing virus, or sometimes due to a family tendency.

I hope on Wed. the rheumie takes a fresh look at everything & doesn't narrow his thinking too early. Some things can take time to sort thru, but better you get answers that fit & eventually treatment that fits! It's NOT easy to go thru, I know. Let us know how you're doing, OK? Hang in there! Sincerely, Vee
Thanks for your reply in many cases ana can be elevated do to lymes I just dont want that to get over looked, but there is a family history to autoimmunne diseases.I am noy leaving out lyme until it has been throughly tested. So far my family dr says he believes its sle but the rheumie will now more I have syptoms of lupus but many are the say as lyme.

thanks for listening.
Bonnie

thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Bonnie, I've read the opposite: that ANA does NOT elevate in Lyme, which isn't to say a person could not have both Lyme & some other reason for elevation of ANA. But I have roughly ZERO expertise!

Anyway, good luck with the rheumie on Wednesday. Best wishes, Vee

Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
(female)

mldean1206 HB User

Bonnie,

I too run a high titer ANA with a speckled pattern, while the ANA test does not always mean a person has lupus, I have read the it is more likely when the pattern is speckled. I happen to be one of the ones that has lupus and Sjogren's syndrome, so who knows if there's a connection.

The homogeneous/rim ANA pattern can be caused by: antibodies to double and single-stranded DNA (seen in SLE in high titers and in lower titers in other rheumatic diseases),; and antibodies to histones (seen in drug-induced lupus), and deoxynucleoprotein (seen in SLE). A speckled pattern can be caused by the following antibodies: Smith (Sm), which is diagnostic of SLE; nuclear RNP, which is seen in high titers in mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) and SLE; SS-A (Ro), which is seen in Sjogren's syndrome and SLE; and SS-B (La), which is seen in Sjogren's syndrome.

Best of luck with you search.

Melissa

Last edited by mldean1206; 01-11-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Bonnie, In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace lists 16 autoantibodies (& complement problems) seen in lupus. In addition to RF, which you mentioned, were ALL these things tested for? (This book is in most libraries & bookstores. Another excellent rheumie/author is Dr. Robert Lahita.) I *think* bloodwork timing can be important: some may rise & fall, while others may be more static.

I hope you keep working with your new rheumie, even if he doesn't arrive at answers on the first try. A very good sign would be if he assures you that he'll keep trying until he figures you out. GOOD LUCK, Vee

Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
(female)

bonnie1974 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Bonnie, In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace lists 16 autoantibodies (& complement problems) seen in lupus. In addition to RF, which you mentioned, were ALL these things tested for? (This book is in most libraries & bookstores. Another excellent rheumie/author is Dr. Robert Lahita.) I *think* bloodwork timing can be important: some may rise & fall, while others may be more static.

I hope you keep working with your new rheumie, even if he doesn't arrive at answers on the first try. A very good sign would be if he assures you that he'll keep trying until he figures you out. GOOD LUCK, Vee
I havent herd back from the rheumie she ran Blood tests and did 2 weeks ago and xrays I wish I would hear from her. I see an infectious doc next week, he feels I dont have lyme that its a false positive, I feel its a strong possiblity.I am at a loss I just wish the Doctors would have more understanding about peoples feelings that I am not just a number, I am a person a mom that people count on.Its sad.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Bonnie, I know that feeling, and it is sad. My final diagnostic venture took about 1 month, but it was well worth the wait, especially when compared to the decades of problems I'd had. I hope you (and yours) can bite the bullet a little longer. Let us know how it's going. Meanwhile, thinking of you, Vee

Closed Thread