It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

jean500 HB User
sever leg and hand cramps

I have severe leg and hand cramps during the day and night. I do not have them all the time but when I do I can not even hold something in my hand What is causing this problem als??

Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: sever leg and hand cramps

Wow, I have the same problem, except I have cramps & spasms in other parts as well. I had my hand spasm up while holding a cup of coffee from the convenience store one time and I could see the cup squeezing inward. Thankfully I was able to put it down real quick, otherwise I think I would have made a mess & probably burned myself.

I keep getting horrible cramps around my ankles and it makes my feet turn under and twist in. It's quite difficult to try to stand on the foot its happening to, to try to get the cramp to stop. I have my knee cramp so that it stayed bent, 2 nights ago I had a horrible one in the back of my upper leg. I even get a pulling down sensation on my face.

The last time I was at my rheum's, my hands were cramping up. He noticed it and said it looked like tetany. He sent me for more blood tests (CBC, CMP, ESR, and magnesium)..I called the office a couple times to find out if all is okay and , of course, no one's calling me back. What else is new lol. So I just assume that my tests didnt show any vitamin or mineral imbalances.

Besides this, I know I have lower spine problems and nerve pain that comes & goes, so maybe the lower body cramping might have something to do with that. But it doesnt explain my upper body & hand cramping. So I'm sorry, I dont really have an answer either..except that you might have your calcium, magnesium, and other levels checked.

Oops, one more question...when your hands cramp up, do all your fingers squish together and cramp inward towards your palm? Mine do that. Sometimes it doesnt even really hurt, but sometimes the cramp starts in the middle of my palms with alot of pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

jean500 HB User
Question Re: sever leg and hand cramps

Yes--I was playing cards and could not even hold the cards. My leg cramps begin in my feet and can move up to my knees.My fingers will just cling inward and it is very painful When the cramps are in my legs i can not walk. I have mentioned this to each of my doctors and they just dismiss the problem of the leg and hand cramping. I am lost as to where to begin

Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Do you have any back problems at all? Any back pain or any sharp pains that radiate anywhere, like into your leg(s) or arm(s)? Or pins & needles or numbness anywhere?

I am just wondering if it still could be spine related. I was told by my rheumy my spine problems are separte from lupus, that lupus doesnt affect the spine. But I am not even sure that I actually have lupus, but I do have something that causes flares of joint pains, fatigue, rashes, hives, etc...But lupus had been suspected by a dermatologist and my rheumy.

What sort of doctors have you mentioned this to? (I assume one was a rheumy if you have lupus)

Old 03-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

watoozie HB User

I had sever leg and feet cramps before diagnosis, but after the Plaquenil I didn't seem to have them anymore - - - - - but when I had a flare last summer I had muscle spasms in my right ribs. Now I am in another flare and my left shoulder blade area, up over my shoulder and over my collar bone. I saw my rheumatologist this past Thurs and he said it has nothing to do with this darn Lupus and Sjogrens. I beg to differ with him!!! I'm just a complaining woman!!!!! He wants me to have some physical therapy, but my insurance is a $24.00 co-pay and I've already handed out $125.00 in three wks to him and the eye doctor and the dermatologist. I am on prednisone, for the last three wks, am down to 5mg a day. See him again in a month. He always says "well your blood work looks good!" I guess that means I shouldn't hurt or feel bad. He wanted to know if I was depressed. He should be on this end of it! Take care a God Bless, hope you all get to feeling better. Thanks for letting me vent.

Closed Thread