It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

Donte HB User
Anyone have 10 mg Prednisone effect their bloodwork?

Hi,

I went to er for back pain last week. I had been taking 10 mg Prednisone for the last 4 days for a flare up I was having. My lymphocytes were pretty low at 12.5 and my glucose was 161.

I have been on Prednisone before a lot during the beginning of my disease and don't recall my counts ever being effected like this. And I was having blood work done every three months back then.

Any one have this?

Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: Anyone have 10 mg Prednisone effect their bloodwork?

Last round of blood results I had came back with low lymphocytes and high neutrophils. My c3 had risen and c4 fell. I was curious and researched a bit and found out that this can be caused by lupus itself, or by prednisone, at the time of the blood draw I had been on 10 mg. a day for about three months prior to the blood draw. Previously I had been taking 7.5 mg. a day and an occassional depo-medrol injection, and previous blood work was normal where lymphocytes and neutrophils were concerned. I have been on a 15 mg. per day pulse and then down to 10 mg. a day again, and have another appt. later this month, it will be interesting to see if my Dr. orders bloodwork again whether the lymphocytes are still low or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

I was on a daily 10 mg dose for almost a year and it kicked my glucose levels into the diabetic range which unfortunately did not return to normal when I stopped taking the prednisone. The same thing happened to my mom. It also can elevate your WBC.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

Donte HB User

Realisticchic,

Please update me when you get your bloodwork done later this month. I'm curious too to see if your lymphocytes are still low. My neutrophils were high too (not too high though). I've had a mildly high total wbc for a long time on and off and my rheumy tells me it's just inflammation. I also have mildly elevated temperature (99.0-100) on and off all the time and he says that's from inflammation too.

Teachergirl64- Does diabetes run in your family at all. I'm wondering if this happens to people who are more at risk for developing diabetes. Both of my sisters are diabetics and I have a long family history of it.

My GP is going to do an A1c on me in a month just to make sure it was from the prednisone. I am now off the prednisone as of today, so it should be well out of my system by then.

Closed Thread