It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

Bryansmom HB User
Lupus and Breast Inflammation

Does anyone else have a rhuematologist who answers to everything..."lupus doesn't affect ____________ (insert body part here)." I swear I never know who to talk to about problems that come up.

For example..
I just recently started having some really yucky breast discharge and pain in my left breast. Went to OB/GYN. She was worried enough to send me for a surgery consult. Breast surgeon sent me for a mammo, even though she's not sure it will show anything. She was intrigued when I asked, "could this be lupus related." She felt I am showing signs of inflammation in the ducts of my breasts, and when you couple that with the 2 huge oral ulcers I have right now, the fact that I sleep 14 hrs a day, and my swollen hands and ankles, we both are thinking that a lupus connection sounds plausible.

I e-mailed the rheumy, only to be told, "lupus doesn't affect breast tissue." She did put me on prednisone, the wonder drug that works wonders.

Now, I've read up on a condition on the internet referred to as "lupus mastitis." So, if lupus doesn't affect breast tissue, how doe they come up with lupus mastitis?

It's all just a curious little game. It's up to us to synthesize the information that's out there. I believe that we all need to be blunt and stand up for what we want when we seek care.

Anyway, anyone else have breast inflammation associated with their lupus?

(deep breath....)

Michelle in CA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Lupus and Brest Inflammation

Hi. I *think*, from something I just read, that lupus mastitis is a form of lupus panniculitis. That's a variant that causes subcutaneous hardening & lumps in fat tissue, and only very rarely affects breast tissue, I read. But this does seems very different from milk duct discharge (to my totally untrained mind, anyway).

Milk duct infections are apparently common in new moms. Are you a new mom?

I think you were right to see your dr(s) quickly & ask good questions. You can never ignore possible infection, especially with lupus---let alone breast symptoms of any kind. So, you did YOUR job. But, like you, I wonder why so many doctors feel it's OK to be so SNARKY, like nasty junior high kids.

Are you feeling better? I hope so. Hang in there & take good care! Best wishes, Vee

Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

sach34 HB User
Re: Lupus and Brest Inflammation

Well I've come to the conclusion that inflammation of any kind is possible with lupus. I just think that everybody is different and things affect everyone differently. I'm not saying you have lupus or anything, but if you have other symptoms of lupus blood work and a qualified doctor is necessary to help you either diagnose it or rule it out. I'm no doctor and I'm surely not qualified but why couldn't it affect the breast? Doctor's are great, but they surely don't know it all about every disease and they need to keep an open mind about things. Some have lost or maybe never had compassion. I am sorry that doctor hasn't had compassion for you. I would change doctors. I referred myself to a rheumatologist after being told I didn't have lupus. then I was diagnosed with it five years later. The one thing that helped me is that when I found that good rheumy I stuck with her and have been with her for almost six years now. I hope your issue clears up and that everything turns out fine or turned out fine depending on how old this post is.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

teddyjane HB User
Re: Lupus and Breast Inflammation

I'm not going to say his name but my Doctor wrote a book on Lupus...ok The book on lupus...the book says that lupus effects everyone differently...that it can cause damage or inflamation in ANY soft tissue...so it cracks me up (and infuriates and upsets) the heck out of me that he says exactly that "you know lupus doesn't effect/ doesn't usually effect____" I understand if he wants to tell you that ___can also cause said symptom and you should be check out for ___, but no he has to make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. So here's my theory, always check that the symptoms can't be caused by something else that can or needs to be treated but it's also a good chance that it's lupus and keep getting second opinions till someone sounds sane or makes sense to you and what your feeling. Doctors at scripps medical center in california believe that a patients diagnosis and prognosis of themselves is usually pretty accurate, sounds good to me so listen to your body.

Closed Thread