It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

For the past month and a half i've had a series of diffrent symptoms; headaches, body aches, joint pain, face pain, and fatigue. I went to see my Doctor, and he ordered basic lab work. When I returned for my follow up he stated to me all my blood work was negative, I stated to him that i still felt sick, he went ahead and ordered more blood work, a week later I went to see him and he said my ANA test came back positive: 1:320, my lab work show no inflammation in my body, liver is fine. He ordered anti-ds-dan, the result was inconclusive. He said anything under a # 4 is considered negative, and anything over a 10 is considered positive, mine was a #7. He reffered me to a rheumie, but i dont see him until next month. I'm really stressed out not knowing whats really wrong, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

 
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atascadero ,Ca.
Posts: 537
kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

I'm sure your rheumatologist will be able to shed more light on what your lab results mean. I wouldn't want to guess at a diagnosis,although the lab results could mean it's some kind of autoimmune disorder.My lab results, and symptoms were similiar to yours. I was actually relieved to get a diagnosis .I was put on a medication that made me feel a lot better. And knowing there was a reason for the way I felt was also a relief.
Good luck,and hang in there.
.

Last edited by kathryn+2; 06-09-2008 at 10:15 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: southeast Indiana U.S.A.
Posts: 248
realisticchic HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

An elevated ANA can point to several different autoimmune conditions, your rhuemy will run more specific tests to determine which condition you have. It could be that by the time you see the rhuemy the dsdna will turn highly positive, and that pretty much is a clincher for Lupus, so although it is hard to wait a month, it may be a good thing, in that it might help you to get a firm diagnosis. Take Care, and I hope you start to feel better soon

 
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Kathryn thank you for the info, at least it gives me some hope that i'm on the right track. I was wondering if you can share with me what your diagnosis was. Thank you, and God bless u.

 
Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Thank you realistic for your info and kind words. I've been trying to read as much as i can on lupus, which I believe is a good and bad thing, I want to be educated and know what I should be looking for but at the same time it's a little bit scary when I read about all these stories and what lupus can do to your body. Ultimately I think catching it early is the key to controlling it. God bless!

 
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atascadero ,Ca.
Posts: 537
kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Hi teresacar,
Well my symptoms and tests were similiar to yours, and my rheumy told me that although she wasn't going to give me a firm diagnosis of lupus (,and in fact she put down mixed connective tissue disorder in my chart,) she told me she was going to treat me as if i had lupus. She put me on plaquenil ,and in about 3 mos I started to feel better. Still have the same symptoms ,but not as bad. She also said I had fibromyalgia. I think lupus is pretty hard to diagnosis,and I'm glad my rheumy had an open mind and started me on treatment even without a firm diagnosis.

Good luck , I hope you get some answers ...,I know how hard it is to keep going on, feeling so awful ,and not knowing why. It took me 2 years to finally get diagnosis. Let us know what happens....
Kathryn

 
Old 06-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Thank you Kathryn, I really appreciate you sharing this information with me. I see the the rheumy on 7/1, and i'm just praying that he can give me some answers that day. Thanks again, take care.

 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: AR, USA
Posts: 134
lynn41 HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresacar View Post
For the past month and a half i've had a series of diffrent symptoms; headaches, body aches, joint pain, face pain, and fatigue. I went to see my Doctor, and he ordered basic lab work. When I returned for my follow up he stated to me all my blood work was negative, I stated to him that i still felt sick, he went ahead and ordered more blood work, a week later I went to see him and he said my ANA test came back positive: 1:320, my lab work show no inflammation in my body, liver is fine. He ordered anti-ds-dan, the result was inconclusive. He said anything under a # 4 is considered negative, and anything over a 10 is considered positive, mine was a #7. He reffered me to a rheumie, but i dont see him until next month. I'm really stressed out not knowing whats really wrong, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

I will be extremely interested to see what the rheumie tells you. I too have suffered the same symptoms as you for two years, including a persistent rash. I had my rheumie appointment about two months ago and had a positive ANA at 1:320 with similar results as you. The rheumie I saw said the positive ANA didn't mean anything, that I had fibromyalgia, and dismissed me with no return appointment, suggestions or meds. When I asked what the rash was, he said he didn't know. It was a very frustrating appointment for me so I hope your appointment is more productive. Good luck and please keep us informed.

 
Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,960
VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Teresacar, Did you ask for copies of your labs? I'm curious whether he ordered *multiple* specific tests, meaning didn't stop with ONLY anti-ds-DNA. Here's why... In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace lists 16+ antibodies & complement findings that can be seen in lupus. Examples of these other tests (partial list only) include antiphospholipid, anti-Ro, anti-La, antiribosomal P, antineuronal, antihistone, anti-Sm, anti-RNP, ETC. (Most libraries have Dr. Wallace's book.)

In lupus, anti-ds-DNA & anti-Sm carry great weight diagnostically, while others aren't considered as specific because they're seen in multiple conditions. But testing "more strongly positive" on one or more of those *others* might narrow the range & speed up diagnosis. Your new rheumie may well re-do everything (many do that).

Here's my own personal example. I may have been *slightly positive* at some point on certain tests (not really sure); but it was only my anti-Ro that was really "meaningfully positive".

Anyway, just some thoughts from a mere patient... I hope things start falling into place quickly during your upcoming rheumie appt. Best wishes & GOOD LUCK! Vee

 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Teresacar, Did you ask for copies of your labs? I'm curious whether he ordered *multiple* specific tests, meaning didn't stop with ONLY anti-ds-DNA. Here's why... In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace lists 16+ antibodies & complement findings that can be seen in lupus. Examples of these other tests (partial list only) include antiphospholipid, anti-Ro, anti-La, antiribosomal P, antineuronal, antihistone, anti-Sm, anti-RNP, ETC. (Most libraries have Dr. Wallace's book.)

In lupus, anti-ds-DNA & anti-Sm carry great weight diagnostically, while others aren't considered as specific because they're seen in multiple conditions. But testing "more strongly positive" on one or more of those *others* might narrow the range & speed up diagnosis. Your new rheumie may well re-do everything (many do that).

Here's my own personal example. I may have been *slightly positive* at some point on certain tests (not really sure); but it was only my anti-Ro that was really "meaningfully positive".

Anyway, just some thoughts from a mere patient... I hope things start falling into place quickly during your upcoming rheumie appt. Best wishes & GOOD LUCK! Vee
Hi Veej, yes I have copies of my labs. so far this is what he's ordered:CMP (all normal), CBC AUTO DIFF(all normal) , arthritis panel (normal) AND ANA (HOMOGENEOUS) 1:320 (positive) and of course anti-ds-dna (inconclusive)
He gave me the feeling he didn't want to tell me more, about what he really thinks since i don't have other symptoms. But I do thank him for sending to the rheumy pretty fast. Veej I've read a lot of your post and you seem to be so knowledgeable in this subject, can you tell if nauseas is a symptom of lupus? Thank you so much for your reply. God bless!

 
Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
teachergirl64 HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

I found what the different ANA patterns meant and here's what it said about yours. The Homogenous pattern is very specific to lupus and requires dsDNA, ssDNA and anti-Smith for further evaluation The rheum you see will repeat the ANA panel and run the additional tests. Good luck with the waiting. It is hard.

 
Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,960
VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Yes, I had nausea, with with what was Dx'ed as irritable (functional) bowel syndrome. And that got me labelled "fibromyalgia". Many, many frustrating years later, new symptoms evetually landed me with a different rheumie. Now I believe my GI problems were REALLY due to malabsorption, especially because (1) I also had the chronic cystitis that typically accompanies malabsorption, and (2) Plaquenil quickly eradicated both my GI misery & the cystitis (as well as reducing joint pain, rashes, etc.)

But if you have ONLY nausea, that probably has such a large number of causes...? I think all you can do is report everything & hope that a picture starts to emerge for your doctors to assess & narrow. GOOD LUCK! from Vee

 
Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Hi Veej, thanks for your reply. I don't only have nausea, i have headaches every day, body aches, i'm always fatigued, I occasionally have face rashes. And i have noticed that the sun makes me very fatigued. This nausea thing just started about three days ago, and no I am not pregnant (tubes tied, just had my period). Thank you so much for the advice. God bless u!

 
Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: lathrop, california
Posts: 46
teresacar HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergirl64 View Post
I found what the different ANA patterns meant and here's what it said about yours. The Homogenous pattern is very specific to lupus and requires dsDNA, ssDNA and anti-Smith for further evaluation The rheum you see will repeat the ANA panel and run the additional tests. Good luck with the waiting. It is hard.
Thanks teachergirl64 for the info. I am praying that when i go see the rheumy he will shed some light into all this. God bless.

 
Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 20
theartyone HB User
Re: Positive ANA, inconclusive anti-ds-dna....please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn+2 View Post
Hi teresacar,
Well my symptoms and tests were similiar to yours, and my rheumy told me that although she wasn't going to give me a firm diagnosis of lupus (,and in fact she put down mixed connective tissue disorder in my chart,) she told me she was going to treat me as if i had lupus. She put me on plaquenil ,and in about 3 mos I started to feel better. Still have the same symptoms ,but not as bad. She also said I had fibromyalgia. I think lupus is pretty hard to diagnosis,and I'm glad my rheumy had an open mind and started me on treatment even without a firm diagnosis.

Kathryn
Hello, I also have been diagnosed as having mild mixed connective tissue disorder. What concerns me is the rheumy came to this conclusion without running further tests (they found a positive ANA- 1:256). It is only after reading on here that I see others have had more detailed tests. I am worried about developing Lupus, I am only 27 and have not yet had children. I have noticed less symptoms now I am on an anti-inflammatory diet. Pleased to hear you're feeling better, I hope your symptoms disappear soon!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
positive ANA and antiSSB - no symptoms of Sjogren's ShellieBelle Sjögren's Syndrome 9 12-08-2011 04:26 PM
Inconclusive results smuckers HIV Prevention 1 11-01-2008 08:34 AM
Positive anti-dsDNA, but no other symptoms? Zenyatta Lupus 2 10-30-2008 03:35 AM
how common is lupus without positive ana auggie1 Lupus 3 06-11-2008 10:35 AM
testing for fibro - inconclusive results gunner00 Fibromyalgia 18 02-18-2007 08:57 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



VeeJ (173), ladybud (43), AngelicBrat (16), luca689 (7), ksp (6), neveragain444 (6), luvinmusiq (5), brooklyngirl (4), Daisygrace (4), AgedFlowerChild (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!