It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

pearless HB User
Trigger thumb

I found out that I have had trigger thumb for more than a year. An x-ray taken last year clearly shows two nodules in my thumb joints. I received a phone call at that time from surgeons office that the x-ray was negative yet I still have the x-ray that the nodules are clearly visible. That office cancelled my apt at that time. Now I have a thumb that is basically unusable. I cant extend it all the way out and the nuckle area is huge. When I attempt to extend it the tendon is visible. I have to go back to my primary due to rheumy doc wants me to get a cortisone shot in it and called it trigger thumb. Does any one else have this. If so what is your experience with getting the cortisone shot? well it cure it?
pearl

Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User
Re: Trigger thumb

I've had trigger thumb a few times. It is inflammation in the soft tissue around joints. Not a joint problem per se.
First time I got it was after carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Second day of healing, both my thumbs triggered. Surgeon said was a common reaction after that surgery. Had steroid shots in both and they were fixed - poof!
Second time was out of the blue. But then I was referred to a great physiotherapist who showed me how to exercise, ice, etc. myself, so when it is just a hint of pain & stiffness, I can usually stop it from getting worse. I also have splints that I wear when doing heavy hand work, repetitive stuff.
Couple of other times, I've had steroid shots in my hands. My general feel is that they work when you get them. Avoiding having to get them is better (who wants more pain anyway?
So maybe getting a physiotherapy consult would give you these tools, especially if it becomes a more chronic thing.
Hope this helps,
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

pearless HB User
Re: Trigger thumb

Paddy
thank you I will see what I can do. Just seems like its getting worse and over the past 2 months the thumb on my other hand is doing the same thing.
pearl

Closed Thread