It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User
Has anyone taken the 6 day Prednisone pack?

My rheumatologist said my blood tests indicate a 'lupus-like disease' so he gave me a 6 day pack of Prednisone to take. I have to take 6 pills the first day, 5 the second, etc until the pack is done on the 6th day. Has anyone ever used this?

My dr said that this will help him with my diagnosis. He said that people with Lupus generally feel a lot better on it, then the symptoms come back once the pack is gone. I'm only on the first day and my spine, feet, and hands aren't hurting. I was having really bad cramps in my calves earlier, and then it was time to take another pill and they aren't hurting as bad anymore. Has anyone experienced this kind of response with this steroid? I've had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia for 3 years and I went to a new rheumy bc i was suspicious of lupus (blood tests were coming back very suspicious) ... the new dr said he definitely thinks if i have fibro, it is second to something else going on.

I'm just looking to hear some feedback and experiences of others to compare. Thank you for letting me share!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Has anyone taken the 6 day Prednisone pack?

Hi sherry, I do take prednisone but have never heard of the 6day pack. The reason you take a declining dose is you are suppose to never stop prednisone without coming off it slowly. When I started prednisone, I felt better within the first 3days. I have stopped taking it before, and my symptoms returned but my rheumy didn't mention anything about indicating that is a signal. I hope you can get this figured out. I take 4mgs. a day and it keeps me at a level of pain I can live with. I don't want to take higher doses cause I don't want the side effects. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

Yes ,
My rheumy did the exact same thing. She said if it was an autoimmune disorder then the prednisone would make me feel better.Which it did. Then she asked me at what dose did the pain start coming back. (for me it was when I went down to 2 pills). So based on the fact that the prednisone helped me ,along with an elevated ANA, and some other symtoms like sun sensitivity,she did eventually diagnose me with lupus. I was put on plaquenil and that helped me a lot. ( it took 4 months to kick in though) Even though the prednisone took away my pain i am not on it . I would rather live with the pain i have then live with the side effects of the prednisone.Like you, I also have fibromyalgia,and I am dealing with that with physical therepy and acupuncture.
Good luck...Kathryn

Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

This is interesting, thanks ladies for the information. I will be adding that to my list of questions for my rheumy. I also have fibro, but do exercise and muscle relaxers and sleep meds for that.

Kathryn, I did take the plaquenil in the beginning but I had some eye issues with it. You know that 'it is a slight chance, but no one ever has a problem' kind of issue. My rheumy won't put me on it again, although after the 3hours of testing with little tiny electrode wires in my eyes the top guy at the top medical school said I just had those weird kind of eyes and the plaquenil would be ok. I would rather not take a chance either. Do you get regular eye check ups with the visual field test and all, I think it was recommended for every 6 - 9mo.s when taking plaquenil? I do great on the prednisone, no side effects so far.

Thanks
Glojer

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

Glojer,
My rheumy did mention the eye issue with plaquenil,but said it was very rare and not to worry about it. I'm having a problem with dry eyes right now so I just had an eye appt. Everything else checked out okay. You might want to reconsider the plaquenil if your Dr. thinks it's okay. It really has helped me a lot ,and there are no side effects. Also, I just started acupuncture,and after 2 sessions I can tell a difference. My energy level is greater ,and a swelling that I have had in my sinus area for 6 years is starting to go down. After being treated by an ENT with antibiotics ,steroid nose sprays,and (2 CAT scans), without any success, I am thrilled that the acupuncture is working for me. Also it has helped with some tendonitis in my elbow,and TMJ pain. Next I am going to have her work on my neck pain. I would highly recommend checking into acupuncture.
Good luck...Kathryn

Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
(female)

teresacar HB User
Smile Re: Has anyone taken the 6 day Prednisone pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryrenee0423 View Post
My rheumatologist said my blood tests indicate a 'lupus-like disease' so he gave me a 6 day pack of Prednisone to take. I have to take 6 pills the first day, 5 the second, etc until the pack is done on the 6th day. Has anyone ever used this?

My dr said that this will help him with my diagnosis. He said that people with Lupus generally feel a lot better on it, then the symptoms come back once the pack is gone. I'm only on the first day and my spine, feet, and hands aren't hurting. I was having really bad cramps in my calves earlier, and then it was time to take another pill and they aren't hurting as bad anymore. Has anyone experienced this kind of response with this steroid? I've had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia for 3 years and I went to a new rheumy bc i was suspicious of lupus (blood tests were coming back very suspicious) ... the new dr said he definitely thinks if i have fibro, it is second to something else going on.

I'm just looking to hear some feedback and experiences of others to compare. Thank you for letting me share!
Hi Sherry! I'm new to this lupus thing and I was wondering if you mind sharing your lab results if possible. Just like u I am trying to compare my experiences. I have been seen a Dr. and he believes I have Lupus, I still have to wait till I see the rheumy next week. Hope everything is going well for u!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Okay I'm on day 4 of taking the methylpredisolone pack and I've had a lot of energy. Tuesday I worked all day, went to the driving range with my fiance, went to the store, and made cupcakes at home! I haven't had that kind of energy in a long time. It was great.

In the first two days, the medicine seemed to make the aching in my calf muscles worse...like a lot worse. Is that normal? Maybe steroids help joints and inflammation and aggrivate muscles? I'm not sure what to think about that.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
(female)

TisJustMe HB User

Hi Sherry! I've been on prednisone for years and years with no side effects except weight gain when my dose goes up. When I'm on my maintenance dose of 5 mgs, I don't have side effects.
My mother however, has been given prednisone for her asthma and her fibro (I suspect she also has lupus but that is another story) and at anything above a very nominal dose she gets very bad cramping in different places of her body including her calves and also her chest. She calls it charley horse type cramping as the only way she can describe it. The doctor has told her that she is allergic to the prednisone and that is what is causing the cramps or charley horses.
So, I guess I have a long winded way of saying that maybe you too are allergic to the prednisone? --It does help my mother's pain and gives her the energy to do things but the cramping leaves her actually screaming in pain and when it's in her chest she's scared she is dying or something so, she has decided that it is not worth it even to take a very little dose.
Good Luck,
Tis

Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Tis that's funny that you say that. I've been keeping a journal for the past couple of days to record how the steroid is making me feel. Last night I did about 10 minutes of aerobics (I actually had the energy to do aerobics!) and I had to stop because I was really short of breath. I thought it was just because I'm out of shape (I'm small, but I haven't done cardio in a while), but the chest pain has stayed with me since last night. It's tight and feels heavy. It's not terrible pain like you described...just heaviness. The calf pain does feel like a charlie horse though. You were on point when describing that!

Maybe I am allergic...or just having weird side effects. I always have some side effect with meds that the doctors have never heard of lol...story of my life.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathryn thanks for the info on the acupunture, that is something I have considered. My DIL went to an osteopath that does it and she said it hurt her but it did help. I have to say though my DIL has a 0 tolerence to any kind of pain.

Tis, I will file that bit of info on prednisone and cramping in the back of my memory, of course it could get lost in there. It is a good bit of info to know.

Sherry, I had the same effect when I first started prednisone but it leveled off. I also feel better when I have to up the dose but just when I get going real good I level off again.

Glojer

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I was on my 4th day of the prednisone pack yesterday (the dosage is reduced each day until you are down to one pill on the 6th day). I took 3 pills which is 12 mg. I had to take two pain pills yesterday because I started hurting and I was really tired too. I woke up this morning exhausted. Is this common when you reduse the dosage? I'm just trying to figure out if I was just having a bad day or if it had something to do with the amount of medication I took. Any comments would be really helpful.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherry, having a bad day is normal when you reduce the dose. Your body has enjoyed the extra adrenaline and energy and suddenly it is gone. I have done this several times, the reducing the dose that is, and have some days that are really bad and sometimes just a sort of bad day. You may have more than one bad day, but they will level off. Please let us know what your doc says about all this. The fact your pain came back etc. I would be interested if you don't mind. Hope you feel better soon.

Glojer

Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I think taking that steroid pack has made me more melancholy than usual. I got a 'taste' of what life is like when you have tons of energy and no pain. I didn't expect the emotional roller coaster that experience gave me. Talk about highs and lows. I spent most of the weekend on the couch...tired and achy as usual. I gained 5 pounds this last week which is weird because even my fiance noticed that i haven't been eating a whole lot. It must have been from the steroids?? Oh well, I'm sure it will come off in a week or two...I hope hee hee. My rheumatologist appointment is on the 10th. I'm really curious about my test results...maybe I will finally get a diagnosis instead of 'you definitely have a lupus-like disease'.

I don't know if this has anything to do with being off of prednisone or not, but I woke up with my equilibrium severely off. The ground feels like its tilting and moving. Unfortunately I decided to wear heels to work today and I'm pretty wobbly when I walk. Has anyone had this effect after stopping a steroid? I always have the weirdest side effects

Closed Thread