It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
(female)

Judy59 HB User
How to convince my doctor I have Lupus with ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern?

How to convince my doctor I have Lupus with ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: How to convince my doctor I have Lupus with ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern?

Hiya Judy,

I haven't been on for a while but wanted to reply to your post. Not in a medical way but as a patient with SLE for well over 30 years.

A single test will not bring a diagnsosi of lupus. It depends on a lot of other tests for your doctor to be able to give you a definite yes or no. Here is some information for you :-

ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern?

Speckled - can be associated with SLE - but also with Sjogren’s syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, and mixed connective tissue disease.

A positive ANA test result may suggest an autoimmune disease, but further specific testing is required to assist in making a final diagnosis. ANA test results can be positive in people without any known autoimmune disease. While this is not common, the frequency of a false positive ANA result increases as people get older.

There are other conditions in which a positive ANA test result may be seen. These include:

Sjögren’s syndrome: Between 40% and 70% of patients with this condition have a positive ANA test result. While this finding supports the diagnosis, a negative result does not rule it out.

Scleroderma: About 60% to 90% of patients with scleroderma have a positive ANA finding.

Raynaud’s disease might also show a positive result on the ANA.

It might also also might show up in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, mixed connective tissue disease and other autoimmune conditions.

So all in all what this means is that you need a lot more testing to give a positive result for lupus. I am sure your doctor will do these tests for you if he thinks they are necessary.

I hope this is of some help to you.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 06-30-2008 at 05:27 AM. Reason: misspelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: How to convince my doctor I have Lupus with ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern?

Judy, hello & welcome. My understanding of ANA is exactly what GoldenWings posted. Since she covered that aspect, I'll take up another one, the ACR criteria for diagnosing systemic lupus. There's a "sticky post" ( = permanent info post) at the top of the thread list containing these.

These ACR criteria are tricky. You must meet at least 4 of the 11, at some time (meaning not necessarily all at once), to support a Dx of SLE (systemic lupus). A positive ANA fulfills only ONE criteria.

Also, there are other, typically milder kinds of lupus, referred to as "variants" or "subsets", for which you may meet fewer than 4 criteria. These are DLE (discoid lupus erythematosus), SCLE (subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus), DILE (when drugs induced a lupuslike illness that tends to reverse when the offending drug is withdrawn), and neonatal (when anti-Ro autoantibodies cross the placenta & affect a newborn).

There are several excellent lupus hardcovers in most libraries that cover the subject comprehensively. Dr. Daniel Wallace is one author you could look for, and Dr. Robert Lahita is another. They both cover all manner of things seen in lupus, which, FYI, extend far, FAR beyond the ACR criteria.

So, to get back to YOU... Now that you've seen some high-level layers of info, do you have things going on IN ADDITION TO a positive ANA that might suggest lupus as at least one of the possibilities? I hope you post more when you can. While we're just patients here, many of us are pretty good at helping think up questions for you to ask your doctors. Bye, Vee

Closed Thread