It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

mott07 HB User
Severe Reactions to Insect Bites

For the first time, I've been having terrible responses to bug bites and was wondering whether anyone else had this problem. Not only do I get more bites than anyone I know, they are unbelievably itchy and red, almost swollen looking. I've been diagnosed with lupus for years, but live in a city and only now spending more time outdoors, so I may have been like this all along or it could be something new.

Does anyone have any recommendations for remedies for the itching? I've been taking Benadryl and rubbing some antibiotic cream on them, but they continue to be a real distraction during the day and are waking me up multiple times every night. I'm starting to dread being outside at all, because I really can't deal with more, so if anyone's got any suggestions at all I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Severe Reactions to Insect Bites

Hi, Mott. For mosquito bites, I use Itch Eraser, which comes in a white cylindrical container with a ball bearing-like top that dispenses a clear liquid.

BUT if no product erases the itch, in your shoes I'd speak to my rheumie & ask if I needed to see a dermie. I've read that most lupus-specific rashes are typically non-itchy, EXCEPT uriticaria (hives)---but of course I'm only a patient.

Also, have any of your meds changed? Sometimes "fillers" provoke skin problems, I've read. (I have itchy areas under my arms after 8 years on generic Plaquenil with no problems & am starting to wonder!)

In summer, I avoid perfumed body lotions, perfume, hair spray, etc. to cut down on my attractiveness to insects (I've been horribly reactive since childhood). I also avoid dryer softening sheets & use dye/perfume-free laundry products. Good luck, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

mott07 HB User

Thanks, Vee. My husband went out and got that exact stuff and it has really helped with the itching. At least I haven't woken up at night because of it recently, so that's definitely improvement.

I'm off to the rheumie next week, so I think I'll take your advice and bring this up. Since it's new, I've never mentioned it before. I'll see what his thoughts are on talking to a dermie about it. I'd at least like to know if he thinks it's related to the hives I get from the lupus.

Thanks again,
Mott

Old 07-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My husband, who does not have lupus, is allergic to mosquito bites. If he's lucky, it only winds up 1 inch across.

Hitting it with benadryl cream immediately after the bite helps somewhat.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

I have lupus and have terrible reactions to bug bites, esp misquitos...rash up-swell immed and this lasts for around 3 weeks. I just think its part of our inflammatory responses to things, esp if our disease is quite active,,,,In fact, I just got bit this morning and used some stuff called "After bite" praying it helps. If it gets bad, I will have to take alot of prednisone

Closed Thread