It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

motheroffour06 HB User
Anyone that does not have rashes?or rashes that are not facial?

My skin involvement seems to be on my arms and chest. But I am curious as to whether everyone has skin involvement and are the rashes in the same places or do they vary in everyone. I have read alot of post about the malar rash and just wonder about others.

Just one of my million ?'s

Last edited by motheroffour06; 08-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

healthnut HB User
Re: Anyone that does not have rashes?or rashes that are not facial?

I have not been diagnosed, only told suspicious for lupus. I do not have the facial malar rash, but a rash around my neck that goes down onto my chest. My arms have a little bit of a lacey rash look. The rash on my chest seems to get lighter at times, but the one on my neck has been there for about 4 years, and never goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I was diagnosed a year ago. The only time i had a rash was when i was in the sun for a long time. Otherwise,I don't get rashes. (so far )

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Good morning. For years I had SCLE nonscarring, nondepigmenting annular (targetlike) rashes, mainly on upper arms & some on upper torso. This rash correlates strongly with anti-Ro, the autoantibody I finally tested positive for.

Post-Dx, I got what was probably a single "discoid" (scarring) lesion, on my face (naturally ).

At age 9 or so, I had a widespread blistery, itchy fluid-filled rash, that blanketed arms & legs. It's not possible to know for sure so many years later... but when discussing it at the time I was finally Dx'ed, it *may* have been a "bullous lupus" rash.

I have mild signs of livedo reticularis (vascular disturbance that gives your skin a mottled lacelike appearance) & mild signs of Raynaud's.

I've never had a malar (butterfly).

Best wishes,
Vee

Old 08-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
(female)

4mysunshine HB User

I have not been diagnosed either but have wondered if you could have a rash other than the facial rash as well. Mine is in the middle of the top of back, on shoulders/tops of arms, neck and chest. Looks similar to what would happen after staying in the sun too long (red at first) than like blister. Ithcy. It comes and goes. Last episode was for 3 months. Has gone away now (of course it would when I have an apptmt with a dermatologist). Seems to be connected to premenstrual; shows up about a week prior to menstruation. Stress doesn't help either. Does this sound similar to what is going on with anyone else?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

VeeJ...do you have areas on your arms, legs and torso that do not tan...and do you find that you tend to burn quicker which in turn tans instead of peels? My husband fishes with a BASS team and recently I ventured out to one of his tournaments when the sun wasn't shining so I figured I did not need the " hat and the sunscreen"...Wrong idea!! The tan areas seem kind of "lacy" looking as you described yours. Most of the time I tend to have rash all over when exposed to the sun. That is what started all this with me.. I went to see the primary care MD with rash all over...even hands and feet. When the steriods he gave me for the rash seem to help with the pain I had been having for quite awhile he sent me to a Rheumy that after 3 years I still had no idea what was wrong...luckily I have found a new one that is great. I have been on the Plaquenil for 2 months now and I am showing some improvement. You are very encouraging...I took your advice and have read the books you recommend. They were very informing. Thanks again....Take care all!! Pix

Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Pix, I haven't had a tan in 10+ years, so I don't know what my skin would do these days... At the time I was Dx'ed, I was told quite bluntly what I'd already concluded, that I could NEVER be in the sun freely again.

The lacelike thing I got (and still get) lasts only minutes to a few hours. It isn't a rash---more like a temporary subsurface mottled pattern. I think it's "livedo reticularis", a vascular disturbance. I used to get this while in the sun, but I still have it sometimes even though I don't do sun anymore.

I do go out during the day, but covered up; and I choose places where I can retreat to shade. Post-Dx, my biggest boo-boo was like yours, out on a lake, kayaking, where I had nowhere to hide. That caused the one & only rash I've gotten post-Dx.

I don't want to scare you, but you really do NOT want "discoid" lesions on your scalp, as they can cause permanent hair loss. My rheumie warned me that even though all my lesions had been SCLE nonscarring, I was also "eligible" for discoid lesions. So I always wear hats during the daytime.

Is your skin recovering from your wild outing? Hope so! And did you guys at least catch some good fish? Take good care, Vee

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I have had malar rash, but have also had many other weird rashes over the years, most of which I never saw a doctor for. ( I usually did not have insurance). And when I got insurance, when I had some rash, by the time I got in to see my rheum, the rash would be gone!

I currently have some strange rash on my lower legs, no clue what it could be, though. It's small almost oval shaped areas, most less than an inch in diameter; they are red and ever so slightly raised; and there seems to be slightly rough or dry scaly skin over the tops of the spots. I have had them for about 6 weeks now. They do not itch at all nor do they hurt. I have 5 or 6 of these patches or splotches on my right lower leg on the back and 3 on my left lower leg more towards the inside. I do not see these patches anywhere on my body at this time, though. Last summer I got extremely itchy rashes around both ankles and around both outer elbows, it looked hivish but the skin also got hard in some areas. In the past I've had roundish shaped red areas with a sort of clear center. It almost looked ring shaped and I had them spotted around different areas; I've also had a huge, dark bruise colored rash on the inside of one thigh that went down to my knee area. It was really huge, it didnt itch or hurt though. But since I usually didnt have insurance & I usually did not see a doc for them...but they all went away on their own eventually. The only rash I did see a derm for was my first malar rash, as I was young and thought I might have skin cancer or something! I didnt know what it was, but I was always out in the sun!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
(female)

donald88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheroffour06 View Post
My skin involvement seems to be on my arms and chest. But I am curious as to whether everyone has skin involvement and are the rashes in the same places or do they vary in everyone. I have read alot of post about the malar rash and just wonder about others.

Have been diagnosed w/Lupus (SLE) Discoid rash is gone with use of prednisone & Paquinel. However, Leaves scars. Now havesmall rash on back of neck, back & butt The itching drives me crazy. already taking 180 mg generic allegra & some benedryl but nothing helps for very long. Have a derms-- & a rheumy but they don't seem to be able to do anything more w/the itch. Help!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi. Are your meds a possible cause? People here have reported having skin reactions to Plaquenil (ironic, huh?). In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Wallace writes that some people do react: he thinks this happens more with the GENERIC form = hydroxychloroquine, than with the brand-name.

Have you been very careful about avoiding UV exposure (including tanning beds)? That's a "must" for most of us, unfortunately.

Have you changed laundry products, soaps, or body lotions recently?

I hope you get relief soon. Best wishes, Vee

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
(female)

donald88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheroffour06 View Post

My rashes are on my back & butt. Generally in the same places & they drive me crazy. Hard to reach to put salve on

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
(female)

donald88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Hi. Are your meds a possible cause? People here have reported having skin reactions to Plaquenil (ironic, huh?). In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Wallace writes that some people do react: he thinks this happens more with the GENERIC form = hydroxychloroquine, than with the brand-name.

Have you been very careful about avoiding UV exposure (including tanning beds)? That's a "must" for most of us, unfortunately.

Have you changed laundry products, soaps, or body lotions recently?

I hope you get relief soon. Best wishes, Vee
I suppose it's possible that meds could be the cause. Hard to isolate. I don't go out in the sun anymore &I just do what I can. Thanks for your good wishes
Dottie

Closed Thread