It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

watoozie HB User
Burning mouth & tongue

I've had Lupus & Sjogrens for over 3 yrs now and this is a new sympton for me. My mouthand tongue and inside bottom lip feels like I've eaten hot peppers. My tongue is not red or looks any different, just wondered if anyone else has had this. It's been going on for about 3 days.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

darkwater HB User
Re: Burning mouth & tongue

I had this for a short time at the beginning of my treatment for lupus, but I have not had it since my treatment began four years ago (which consists of plaquenil and 5mg of prednisone daily-down from about 30mg at the beginning). My husband also has a bad case of having a raw and burning mouth. He has another autoimmune disease, rheumatoid arthritis, which causes him to have a very dry mouth which is often raw and burning. Our rheumatologist says this can happen to anyone with any autoimmune disease. Saliva offers protection to the mucous membranes and when little saliva is there, the irritation, rawness and burning begins. I guess you know all that.... There are prescription pills and lozenges that are supposed to help, but none of them worked for my husband, so he just eats a very limited menu of food these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

Ive had Sjogrens for 30 years now..lupus too. its very common since the tissues are very dry. My burning mouth-tongue is horrible...even gets worse with the chronic thrush that i get. Wish I had some suggestions..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
(female)

latinobarbie HB User
Post Re: Burning mouth & tongue

watoozie, i have the same thing, you should see my tongue, it's all full of cracks now , like if I've been cut with razor blades ;i am not telling you that your going to end up like me , but i have it for many years now, and it's burning like hell sometimes; with every new flareups those ugly sensations are coming back ( sores in the mouth , checks , inside the lips and of course the tongue that is becoming painful ). There's not much we can do, except go easy on the hot stuff...usually i can't get enough spicy food.

Good luck to you ,

Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, All. I switch to a sensitive-teeth formula of toopthpaste when this happens & also to a much milder mouthwash. While these things may not cure the problems, perhaps you can stop additional irritation. GOOD LUCK. Vee

Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

watoozie HB User

Thanks everyone! I made a routine trip to the Rheu. and he prescribed a steroid paste. He said put it on my lips and work it onto the tongue. You talk about horrible!!!!!! It is real grainy and like it says - a paste. Usually steroids work pretty fast, but after using it for several days it hasn't helped at all. He also said to try Milkamagnesia (sp?), just rinse and spit out. It hasn't helped either. It is about to drive me insane. If you hear of a new treatment or anything to try, let me know. Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Hi, it is interesting that I just read about a condition called "burning mouth syndrome" in which the tongue and mouth tissues feel like they are on fire.
Recent studies have found that a natural antioxidant found in all tissues and cells, alpha-lipoic acid, is an effective treatment.
There are 2 forms of alpha-lipoic acid: the R-form and S-form. It is recommended to take the mixed form in lower doses of 50mg a day, due to the fact that the R-form alone can lower blood sugar levels. And it is best to take it with your largest meal of the day. People with reactive hypoglycemia(low blood sugar) should be advised that it does lower blood sugar levels.
Also alpha-lipoic acid, especially the R-form can potentially trigger a migrane attack in those with a history of migranes. In that case, you can take 250 mg of magnesium in the form of magnesium citrate or citrate/malate 3 times a day with meals & this can prevent migranes.
I am not a dr. Just someone who has Lupus and is taking natural supplements to improve my health. Please check with your physician before making any changes to your health regimen. Best wishes to all.

Closed Thread