It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

jwagner53 HB User
Exclamation Blood clot in my lung

I was in the hospital over Memorial weekend with a clot in my right lung. It was the Lupus that flared. I now have to take coumadin daily for the rest of my life and have blood tests every week etc. The clot won't just go away either it will be there for 6 months or even longer. It didn't move from my legs it just formed in my lung and in stuck on the wall of my lung. I have to stay in air conditioning although I am not on oxygen. I guess blood clots in the lung are not unusual with lupus but I have never heard of it before. Anyone else have this happen?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

cainlady HB User
Re: Blood clot in my lung

Yes, I just recently was hospitalized with a blood clot in my right lung while on vacation. I was on coumadin at the time as well as the occasional Lovenox inj. I'd been on it for 18 months because of three DVT's during that time. I'm now on Arixtra inj., like you for life. They placed an IVC filter in me in Feb. My last clot, lung, formed somewhere else also. My clots are part of my APS. I've just decided that this is going to be part of my life. Kind of it is what it is and to make the best out of every moment. My hands and feet are terrible, I'm not sure if the plaquenil is helping or not. We'll have to see. Just be aware of changes in your body, pain, swelling, you know, you've been there. I'm now able to go out into me yard and play amongst my flowers. Do something that makes you smile. It will make all the difference in the world to your health. Please take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Wink Re: Blood clot in my lung

Hi there,

Not been here for a long while but wanted to reply to this question as it is of interest to me as it something that I had last year. I had multiple blood clots in my lungs and also a dvt in my leg at the same time. I was very seriously ill at the time. In the past I have had heart attacks and then had open heart surgery so I was at a greater risk of something like this happening. Happened a long while afterward but still a shock though I can tell you !!

Just some information from a patient point of view not a medical doctor one. Multiple clots or even one can and do start from a your leg caused by a DVT, not in all cases of course but in many many. The clots can be large or small.

The lungs contain blood vessels, which are derived from the pulmonary arteries. The pulmonary arteries break up into progressively smaller and smaller branches until they form small capillaries. PE's start off as clots that may come from your leg, pelvic, or abdominal veins, or even occasionally in the right side of the heart. These clots then travel through the bloodstream to lodge (embolise) in the lung arteries, cutting off further blood flow through that artery. This means that the region of lung normally supplied by this artery is no long able to function, as inspired air does not come into contact with the circulation.

One thing in your post was strange to me in that you said the clot you had won't go away, it will be there for about 6 months. This is very weird because the first thing that is given to you when a clot like this is discovered is that you are given a strict course of blood thinning injections into your tummy to disperse the clot. Check this with your doctor for me will you ?

Clexane/enoxaparin, which is a type of medicine called a low molecular weight heparin is the one normally use to stop blood clots forming within the blood vessels. In a lot of cases, Coumadin/Warfarin is given and you may be on it for life. I am.

I have APS though and have had blood clotting problems before, but never as severe as they were last year. Because of my APS, my INR levels have to be higher than the 'norm' and unfortunately mine fluctuates so much that I have weekly visits to the GP to keep a check on it. Pain to do but the safest thing to do also.

Thing is you don't have to have lupus as you know to have pe's and because you have lupus it doesn't mean you will automatically have them.

Hope this makes sense. I have been having a lot of problems lately and my head is not working properly. Hope this is of help to you. Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-20-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Blood clot in my lung

Golden you made very good sense. Remember a couple years ago when braveman was so very sick and was in ICU with both lungs full of bloodclots and one in his leg. From all his docs, I never did get as good an explanation as you just gave about how it all happens. He has the filter in his artery to strain out any new clots and he takes warfarin everyday and gets his blood tests done every four weeks now.

Glojer

Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Blood clot in my lung

Hya glojer,

Oh, yes I remember the time braveman was so very ill and all what you also went through because of this. I am absolutely thrilled that he is getting on with things much better now. The filter sounds such a good thing. Mind you with all of braveman's problems at the time, it is an essential thing for him to have.

I explained it the best way I could for people because I feel that we need to be able to say things to others in layman's terms. We get so confused at times with the medical terminology. Mind you, you know me. I cannot abide anyone trying to baffle me with science, so I stop the doctors and say "what do you mean by this, that and the other". Had a few dark looks, but hey I need to know and to be able to pass things on to others in a clear concise way if I can be of help by doing so.

The warfarin kerfuffle I have is because as I say because of the APS. My INR never is the same from week to week. Thick blood to start with and then the added problem of running the risk of more clots. Hey ho as I say, we sort things out because this is the way we are. Unfortunately some of us do go through heaps of things and to be able to glean knowledge and help others is what I really think its the thing to do.

You have all of my admiration in the way you came through such hard, heartbreaking times, the love and support you gave to braveman and the way you are still so strong. I know we put on this face to the world, we can cope with anything but we have to have the inner strength and determination to get through when this type of thing happens. Where it comes from I wil never know but it comes when we need it. You did and still do have this in abundance.

I do so hope you are doing ok and that braveman and your lovely family are still doing what you do best, being yourselves and loving and supporting each other.

Well it is now almost 2.00pm and I am thinking about making dinner. We haven't been out sine Friday because compassionman has had the procedure done on his hand, so we are eating at home today. Like to go out for Sunday lunch and have a roast but I will cook it today.

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Blood clot in my lung

Hya glojer,

Oh, yes I remember the time braveman was so very ill and all what you also went through because of this. I am absolutely thrilled that he is getting on with things much better now. The filter sounds such a good thing. Mind you with all of braveman's problems at the time, it is an essential thing for him to have.

I explained it the best way I could for people because I feel that we need to be able to say things to others in layman's terms. We get so confused at times with the medical terminology. Mind you, you know me. I cannot abide anyone trying to baffle me with science, so I stop the doctors and say "what do you mean by this, that and the other". Had a few dark looks, but hey I need to know and to be able to pass things on to others in a clear concise way if I can be of help by doing so.

The warfarin kerfuffle I have is because as I say because of the APS. My INR never is the same from week to week. Thick blood to start with and then the added problem of running the risk of more clots. Hey ho as I say, we sort things out because this is the way we are. Unfortunately some of us do go through heaps of things and to be able to glean knowledge and help others is what I really think its the thing to do.

You have all of my admiration in the way you came through such hard, heartbreaking times, the love and support you gave to braveman and the way you are still so strong. I know we put on this face to the world, we can cope with anything but we have to have the inner strength and determination to get through when this type of thing happens. Where it comes from I wil never know but it comes when we need it. You did and still do have this in abundance.

I do so hope you are doing ok and that braveman and your lovely family are still doing what you do best, being yourselves and loving and supporting each other.

Well it is now almost 2.00pm and I am thinking about making dinner. We haven't been out since Friday because compassionman has had the procedure done on his hand and couldn't drive, so we are eating at home today. Like to go out for Sunday lunch and have a roast but I will cook it today.

Take care.

goldenwings

Closed Thread