It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

Lizzy73 HB User
Lupus - Help!

Does anyone out there have frequent bronchitis along with their lupus?

This is the third time in three months. If I even get the smallest runny nose, I get bronchitis - WHY??? I do not smoke and this really stinks! I am so sick of going to the doctor. I don't even want to go back!!! I wonder if it will clear up on its own?? My insurance sucks and I owe too much now in hospital bills as it is. Before lupus, I rarely had bronchitis. Is it related somehow? I've never read anything about it before.

Last edited by Lizzy73; 09-04-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Put under Lupus Message Board

Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

jwagner53 HB User
Re: Lupus - Help!

I have a blood clot in my lung that just appeared and it doesn't just go away. It is caused by the lupus and I am now on blood thinners forever. I had to go to the hospital too. I have a cough along with this and it's like the same cough my mother had before she died of emphysema. I have never smoked either. It scares me but looking it up on the net it says a cough is one of the signs of a clot in the lung. I hope you don't have a clot but you might mention to your Dr. that this is chronic for you. There has to be a better answer than just bronchitis. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Last edited by jwagner53; 09-05-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Frequent Bronchitis with Lupus

Hi,

I get bronchitis all the time, although I've had sinus problems since I was a kid. So I get alot of sinus pressure, stuffiness, post nasal drip, etc...which then evolves into bronchitis. I don't know, however, if it is related to lupus at all.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

grace70 HB User

HI I always got bronchitis and siunus infections but I was a smoker. I ignored the bronchitis and coughing of phelgm (sorry) until I ended up in the hospital with double pneumonia. Just be careful with infections especially when the lungs are involved. I learned the hard way and now I have permanent scarring in my left lung.

I did buy Dr. Wallace's book as suggested by Vee and it does say we need to be careful for pulmonary clots, hypotension etc. Did your doctor ever get a chest x-ray for pleurisy or listen to your lungs with a stethoscope to check for fluid. I wish my pdoc did!

Last edited by grace70; 09-09-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: cant spell

Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

Lizzy73 HB User
frequent bronchitis with Lupus - or something else perhaps?

Hello to all! Thanks so much for the input and advice. I have had bronchitis diagnosed by my doctor twice in the past three months. I felt it coming on again when I posted this, but then I actually started feeling better. When I went to the doctor (a different one) they did a chest x-ray which was all clear, and lungs sounded good. My chest when I coughed felt tight and burning, so I thought for sure I was getting bronchitis again, but maybe it cleared up on its own?? I've never had that happen before. Now I'm wondering if it's something different and not bronchitis....

I still cough a lot and I have noticed sometimes my voice will change throughout the day and will occasionally get tight feeling....has anyone had this? It's so weird.....this disease causes so many weird things to happen!

Has anyone else noticed anything with their voice changing and tightness in their throat area???

Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I have lost my voice several times before, one time it went on for several months. A job I had during one bout required me to talk on the phone all day...and unfortunately I had to leave that job because my voice would not come back enough to talk on the phone. But i've lost it before even when I didn't have such a job.

Also....I do get throat tightening alot but it just started this year, I think. It did not coincide with me losing my voice at all, though. So for me it is a seperate issue. Actually my throat will actually cramp up and get very painful, which is scary b/c I can't swallow and it almost feels like someone is choking me. Though it is not always that severe. Weird thing is, I was getting severe cramps and spasms all over my body, plus nerve pains and sensations all over...so it was not all just in my throat area.

I kind of hate when I have something wrong, then by the time I see a doctor, the problem is gone. Then I feel like they think I'm nuts or something. With my Rheumy, when I get some sort of rash, that always happens.....it goes away before I get in to see him.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
(female)

Lizzy73 HB User

OHH MY GOODNESS!!!! I have the EXACT same thing!!! And the exact same sensations all over my body too!!! Sometimes when I'm driving I can't focus on the road - it's not blurry or anything, it's just hard to focus - almost like my sight is jerky or kind of flashy but not really. I don't know how to describe other than it's so tingly that I can't concentrate or see straight... Do you have this too??? I am going to make note for my rheumy - but the same deal with me too, they just shrug their shoulders and don't think it's anything or I'm some kind of weirdo that wants attention or something! It's so frustrating because I'm afraid it's going to get worse, then they'll say "oh, if we'd have only caught it earlier...."

Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I have had problems focusing and seeing spots & swirls and feeling weird, etc..however, I know now that those symptoms were caused by migraines. I also suddenly developed severe light sensitivity...where it hurt my eyes in most light..sometimes I even had to wear sunglasses indoors. I also always felt like something was in my eye, mostly in my left eye. I also had some other symptoms...but that was diagnosed this year as dry eye syndrome.

I don't always get headaches with my migraines, though; most of the time I get weird visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, extreme sleepiness, and feeling spacey. Do you ever get headaches after your visual problems? Even if it's a day or 2 later?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

Lizzy73 HB User

I haven't noticed if my migraines come a day or two later, but I will take note of it. I have gotten really bad migraines lately, though. I have to wear sunglasses outside for sure, but not indoors like you do.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try to keep tabs of it...jot it down somewhere; like what visual symptoms you get and when, and when you get migraines. It is possible it could be related, or it might be migraine without headache, like I get alot. Then again, it still could be something else as well. Either way, I hope it gets sorted out for you.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
(female)

cecekatz HB User

I too have Lupus and Sjogrens. I take Plaquinil, Mobic, Evoxac, Ambien and Proton inhibitor. My voice has been coming and going for a year now. Like a 13 year old boys going through puberty. I also have visual disturbances, usually towards the end of the day. I have seen an ENT. He said that Lupus can cause inflammation in the joint between the neck and vocal cords. I also have an annoying cough. My internist thinks it is allergies, my ENT thinks it is GERD or inflammation and my Rheumy thinks it is Sjogren's (dryness). I am scared they are overlooking something. You always hear someone with a life threatening disease always say "that it started with a cough that won't go away". I just started taking Evoxac a couple of months ago for the dryness. It does help although I sweat alot more. When I don't take it, because I want to be social, I feel like the dryness is worse. Maybe I just notice it more or my body decided to dry up even more. I think the dryness is definately the reason for my eyes.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

hi all ...
this thread is exactly describing me since nov08 ... recuring sino bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, faryngitis(strep throat), oesophagitis (suspect GERD) reflux, gastritis, fatigue, SOB, pleuratic pains radiating thru my left side (ecg was *normal*) floaters, intense migraines, spasms, irregular cycles, anxiety, depression, swollen fingers joints etc plus more but you're all saying it ... dry eyes suspect sjorgens - skin is becoming involved too now ... but i will wait for doctors to do the dx'ing!

my GP did a FBC when i declined round 8 of anti-bx (since april) results showed: no infection, so it is viral! funny the CRP hardly showed up, doc says lupus seems dormant.
i'm out of pain meds and will need to seek further treatment as i cannot *ignore* anymore

the blood test form had in bold type : this is for those with no health insurance and of limited financial means (indigent) ... talk about a bitter pill to swallow but it cost me half price !

good luck all and will be watching for more ...
PS i lost my mum to COPD (and i am a smoker) i've tried to quit twice and will get it right on my third attempt! it is soooo stinky!

Closed Thread