It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

rescuelady HB User
what is malor rash with photosensitivity

what is malor rash with photosensitivity, on my forearms I have dramatic itching, I have tried everything and perscription medications with no relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: what is malor rash with photosensitivity

Hi. I'm only a patient, of course, so the following is only from that perspective! A malar rash is facial. It's also called "butterfly", because of its shape. It bridges the nose but spares the nasolabial folds ( = those little lines angling downward & outward from outer nostrils to outer corners of lip).

Photosensitive means sun acts as a trigger for a rash---&/or for *other symptoms* like fatigue, joint pain, low-grade fever, etc.

Have you seen a dermatologist? I ask because I found that GP's aren't that good at rashes. (But, then, why should they be?! There are a gazzilion rashes out there.) And did the dermatologist biopsy your rashes? I've read that many rashes can't be properly Dx'ed solely by visual inspection, not even by a very good dermie.

In addition to proper tests, I'd expect a dermie to ask many questions. e.g., do the rashes scar or depigment? How often do they appear? How long do they last? Do they get better or worse in the sun? Any new pets? Any contact with new materials, like rubber gloves (the powder inside bothers many people), jewelry, soaps, detergents, etc.? Any new foodstuffs or any new meds? Any family history of psoriasis? Etc.!

I've read that most lupus rashes mostly do NOT itch, with at least one exception = lupus uriticaria (hives).

FYI, the malar rash is only one lupus rash. There are others. e.g., discoid (scars &/or depigments); subacute cutaneous, papulosquamous form (resembles psoriasis but isn't); subacute cutaneous, annular form (targetlike rings); bullous (watery raised blisters); tumid; etc.

I think you need to see a dermatologist---or a different one, if you've already tried one. I hope you get help soon, as itching can make you wild, for sure! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread