It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

klypus HB User
Ptt-la

In august my PTT-LA Screen was 43, in september I went to another Dr. and it was 135. Does that mean anything?

Last edited by klypus; 11-17-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
(male)

klypus HB User
Re: Ptt-la

I got 217 veiws and no one knows?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Is this test = lupus anticoagulant? If so, I *think* it's used in conjunction with OTHER tests, and also that "disease context" is important.

In his lupus hardcover, which is available in most libraries & bookstores, Dr. Daniel Wallace discusses the OTHER tests needed when someone's PTT-la is elevated, such as antiphospholipid antibodies, syphilis (in which a false-positive is meaningful), plus other specialized tests. In people with LUPUS, these findings act together to assess risk of blood clots, need for medication, etc. (Also see the "sticky post" at the top of the thread list on APS.)

But Dr. Wallace ALSO cites OTHER conditions in which people test positive for antiphospholipid antibodies and lupus anticoagulant, such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, infectious diseases (particularly AIDS), etc.---yet in these diseases, actual clotting complications are apparently quite rare, despite "positive" test results.

Sorry above is such a muddle, but I'm only a (dumb) patient & have only lupus, not APS... In your shoes, I'd do a little reading, write out questions, then insist on talking to your doctor (NOT a front-desk staffer). Alternatively, you could go right to your doctor, and ask him/her to do a tree-style sketch showing test & disease possibilities. Best wishes to you, sincerely, Vee

Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
(male)

klypus HB User

truth is, there really isn't much of a point in finding out if you might have early signs of lupus? As of now there are no cures. Lupus is a clinically treated disease with medications that are not meant specifically for lupus anyway.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Lupus and APS are two different conditions! The "lupus anticoagulant" test isn't really for lupus, despite its very confusing name. It, and the others mentioned earlier, are for *APS*, not lupus.

Per the sticky post at the top of the thread list, APS can cause clotting problems---migraines, strokes, miscarriages, etc. Sometimes clotting levels are such that treatment isn't deemed warranted. If treatment is needed, that can range from baby aspirin to Coumadin---or even stronger meds.

Because many drugs used in lupus are also used in other conditions doesn't mean they don't help. I needed help. I've been helped a LOT.

Hope this puts a little different slant on things. Take good care, Vee

Closed Thread