It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

Postie HB User
Joint Pain

If a person has Lupus, don't they also have joint pain? If they don't have pain except for muscle pain the forearm just sometimes, wouldn't that definitely rule out Lupus?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
(female)

jhmom HB User
Re: Joint Pain

Not everyone with lupus has joint pain, it depends which organ lupus is attacking (brain, lungs, kidney's, joint, skin, etc). I don't know if you just having muscle pain would rule out lupus or not that would be a question for your doctor. Has your doctor ever checked you for Fibro?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

Postie HB User

I don't have any joint pain. So that would probably mean that if I end up with a diagnosis of Lupus, then my organs wouldn't be affected? My face, neck and chest is affected by the rash.

I only have 9-11 tender points of fibro. But they don't bother me. The only muscle pain I get is in the forearms and that's once in awhile.

But I will e-mail again with what I do have and you can see what I have. I'm being sent to a Hematologist on the 23 because my neutrophils are diminishing. My CBC showed it to be only 0.05. I'm dangerously low.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

jhmom HB User

Lupus can attack any organ in your body whether that be your joints, kidney's, lungs, heart, etc. If you don't have joint pain that just means lupus probably doesn't attack your joints, it may only attack your skin. Were you dx with lupus with a skin biopsy?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-03-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

Postie HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with Lupus yet. I go to a Hematologist on the 23 because of my white cells. Since I don't have pain, do you think if I do have Lupus, then it would just affect the skin? That would be the best out of the three kind to have--correct?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Postie, some rheumie/authors use the word "subsets" to describe distinct forms that are "less" than classic systemic lupus (SLE). Here are a couple:

DLE = discoid lupus erythematosus, the mildest group. Characterized by discoid rashes, which tend to scar and/or depigment. Sometimes referred to as "skin-only", BUT patients may also have fatigue, joint pain, etc. Cosmetic considerations can be big, incl. permanent hair loss if lesions damage hair follicles. Bloodwork is pretty "iffy", as maybe only 50% or so have detectable autoantibodies. Patients meet fewer than 4 of the 11 criteria.

SCLE = subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus, the intermediate group. There are two quite different SCLE-specific rashes. One is annular (papules that eventually turn into targetlike rings), and the other is psoriasiform (looks like psoriasis but isn't). Unlike "discoids", SCLE rashes tend not to scar or depigment. Bloodwork is less "iffy" but not definitive: roughly 2/3 to 70% test positive for ANA & for anti-Ro. Patients may meet fewer than 4 criteria or more than 4---but often it's the milder criteria. Major organ damage is possible, but the odds are thought to be considerably less than in SLE.

SLE = systemic lupus erythematosus = "classic" lupus. Patients typically meet 4 or more of the diagnostic criteria. But patients can remain mild, meaning have no major organ involvement (kidney, CNS, heart, lung, etc.) 95% or more are ANA-positive & also test positive for one or more of the many autoantibodies possible in lupus.

Obviously I'm merely a patient! Your local library should have hardcovers written by professionals that could tell you MUCH more. One reputable author is Dr. Daniel Wallace, and another is Dr. Robert Lahita.

FYI, if a rash is determined by deep-punch biopsy (with, possibly, immunofluorescent stain tests) to be lupus-specific, you do have lupus IN SOME FORM. But it's the totality of your symptoms/criteria that determine in which group you fall, not the rash alone. Some people actually have MULTIPLE kinds of lupus rashes. (I had SCLE annular for years, with also a bit of "discoid".)

Have you seen a rheumatologist? A dermatologist?

Good luck with your upcoming hematology appt. Drop us updates when you can, OK? All best wishes to you, from Vee

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

Postie HB User

Hi Vee:

I have 4 criteria out of the 11 symptoms for Lupus. Also my ANA is always positive. It's always 320 but in April it was 640 but then went back to 320 in November.

I don't have the rashes that scar and no hair falling out. So I know it wuldn't be Discoid if it was any Lupus.

I have alot of other symptoms that go with Lupus. I have been under a Rheumy for 3 years. I go the 23rd to the Hematologist and maybe he can figure out the rash.

Postie

Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Postie, hi. Finding doctors good at this stuff can be an enormous challenge! My final rheumie also sent me to a dermatopathologist, which is a Board-certified dermie also trained to do his/her own labwork. (I'd seen MANY dermies before that & struck out every time.)

In your shoes, I'd ask BOTH your rheumie & your hematologist for names of dermies gifted in autoimmune-related skin manifestations. Minimally, start collecting names, in case you need same at a later time. But I hope you get clarity sooner from the hematologist! Best wishes & good luck, Vee

Closed Thread