It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
(male)

jkjsooner HB User
My mom's story

Hi guys. I just felt the need to talk and I'm sure I'll find some understanding here.

About 15 months ago I got married. I live about 1500 miles away from my parents so I don't see my parents very often. My mom had two wrist braces and she said she had fallen and hurt her wrists. Only a couple of months later did she share with me that they believe she had Lupus.

As the year went on I began hearing stories that her condition had deteriorated significantly to the point where she was in so much pain she did not leave her bed for three weeks. I saw her over Thanksgiving but she had just had cortizone injections and was on strong pain medications so she was feeling much better than normal.

She had been complaining of very bad chest pains and was coughing up blood (which the doctors attributed to allergies, ugh!).

This last week she was in such bad shape that my sister and her brother in law (in internal medicine) made her go to the hospital. As it turns out she has lung cancer (the tumor is 1/3 the size of her lung) and it has spread to her lymph nodes and her adrenal glands.

The fortunate thing is that they are going to do treatment and she will have a fighting chance. That is actually better than the first prognosis we heard.

Anyway, as it turns out they do not believe she has Lupus.

So why am I writing this on a Lupus board. I don't know. I suppose I can identify with those who have Lupus as so much of what my mom experienced is so similar to Lupus - even with rashes. I hope this is appropriate for this board. Forgive me if it is not.

I also want to encourage everyone to either positively identify their condition (if that is possible?) or rule out other causes. I wish you all the very best and a healthy future.

Last edited by jkjsooner; 12-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: My mom's story

good luck to your mom. I hope she does great with her treatment.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
(female)

Shaymari HB User

Good Luck to your mom and your entire family. Thank you for sharing your story, stay positive.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

JKJ, thank-you for being kind enough to write that story. You may save someone from going through what your mother has. I was diagnosed with Lupus last Wed. but because there are other concerns the doctor did a bone marrow test for cancer. I feel a little of what your family feels and it is very scary. I will pray for your Mother. She is very lucky to have a child who cares enough to try and help others in their time of sorrow.
Please let us know how she is doing.
Sophie

Closed Thread