It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Oral ulcers to the max!!

Hi,
I have RA and as far as I know not lupus but am having a terrible problem with mouth ulcers and I noticed this is one of the sites where this problem is addressed. Right now I probably have 10-15 sores but a new one on the roof of my mouth is causing problems eating anything harder than pudding. I am on lysine, have the magic mouthwash which helps with pain but not with clearing them up. I have eaten kiwi and even rinsed my mouth out with saurkraut juice argghhhh!! it was in my local paper as a cure. I also have had two biopsies and they said that was inflammation and injury. I was just wondering if anyone had any more suggestions? I see my rheumy Monday and am going to address this problem. I think Arava is my major cause of this but I need it to prevent constant draining of my joints and pred injections. thanks in advance,
Donna70

Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

jhmom HB User
Re: Oral ulcers to the max!!

Hi Donna,

I am new to the forum but noticed your post. I use to suffer with terrible mouth sores, multiple sores for 2 weeks at a time. My rheumy gave me an rx for folic acid. I am allowed to take 1-5 (1mg) tabs a day to keep them away. I usually take 3 a day and I can tell if I slack up, they start appearing.

I am on plaq, imuran, methotrexate, etc

It may be worth asking your rheumy about it. I hope you find some relief. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I actually have had these sores for months, they never really go away completely. My rheumy did put me on 3 folic acid and I take one now daily. She thinks that plaquenil would help me, I notice that you are on it. I was on plaq for 13 yrs and developed some eye issues and went off of it and after MTX and Arava seem to be saddled with these sores. If they don't hurt I can live with them but I have these flares when they get really red and sore that is hard. Thanks for your comments, I am definitely going to try to get some help.
Donna70

Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

dimebox HB User

Boy, do I feel your pain! A horrible 10-week bout with oral ulcers was how I came to be diagnosed with lupus back in 2002. I can go long periods without them, but when I do have a flare up of them, YIKES!!! I have actually been having a bad episode of them since around Christmas. I tend to get them most under my tongue and on the sides of my tongue, but I also get them on my gums as well.

I can't do all of the rinses because they make me gag. I've really just learned to handle the pain, but it really is no picnic! I also get nasal ulcers, which hurt like the dickens.

Anyway, I don't think I really have any new suggestions to help, just wanted to offer my empathy! Hope you feel better soon!

Larissa

Closed Thread