It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

BE 123 HB User
High ANAs, silica ingestion, hsv2... advice please?

Hi all, I am a 28 year old woman, formerly healthy until I contracted hsv2 (genital herpes). I believe it has triggered some sort of hyperimmune response that is making me incredibly ill all the time (like I have the flu (all aspects of the flu from fever to sore throat) and horrific full body nerve pain which is worst below waist). Those are the main problems, I do have a host of other neurological issues all but one entirely attributable to hsv2. I do not really respond to the antivirals for hsv2 that work for everyone else so that is why I am looking into this abnormal immune response thing.

About 10 years or more ago, I had several abnormal ANAs in nucleolar and speckled patterns with no accompanying symptoms, so no further workup was done, and the ANAs self-resolved at least 5 years prior to contracting hsv2.

The line to the rheumatologist is 8 months long. I am desperate and not getting any more help from my ob who punted me to the neuro who doesn't believe any of my symptoms are due to hsv2 or a weird immune system.

I bought and read Daniel Wallace's book on lupus. He says viral illnesses and silica are major triggers. My questions:

1) Has anyone heard of hsv2 trigger? It is a member of the herpesvirus family, closely related to ebv which is a known lupus trigger.

2) He talks about silica DUST triggering lupus, but is silica/silicone in ANY form bad for you? It is a filler in just about EVERYTHING--drugs, vitamins, supplements, etc. I took a bunch of it to strengthen my hair and nails, this was before I developed terrible hsv2 symptoms. I also took a lot of supplements all of which contained silica and which (since learning of this connection) I have since discontinued. And of course, Valtrex and the other antivirals contain silica, so I'm stuck there (I respond to them only minimally, but they are better than nothing so I take them). I tried to find a way to reach Wallace to send a quick email about silica being in every drug and supplement, but couldn't find any contact info.

VeeJ, if you are there, could you please advise? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
(female)

ARIES18 HB User
Re: High ANAs, silica ingestion, hsv2...VeeJ and others, advice please?

Hello,

I have symptoms very similar to yours. My ana was positive and my pattern was speckled. I was referred to a rhematoid and I have my appt. tom. I was told that I have Lupus. I also have a GI absorption issue.

My symptoms started in Sept. 08. My left leg was numb and my sensation to hot and cold in that particular leg was affected. When I applied lotion to my leg it felt like someone was putting a flame to my leg. The numbness traveled up my leg along my stomach and up to my mid back.

I had an MRI of my lumbar spine to rule out a back injury. The MRI did show some issues with my L5 so I underwent 2 epidural cortisone injections. But, the numbness was still present after 2 injections. I experienced spasms and hot sensations in my leg.

I was referred to a neurologist who sent me for lab studies which showed vitamin deficiencies Vit D, B12, & Iron as well as Pos. ANA, Speckled pattern and low thyroid levels.

Since Sept. I also had a sudden onset of bowel issues. Constant diarrhea. So there is definitely GI issues involved. My lab studies were done again and showed my levels even lower than the first time.

I am on oral vitamins and iron and still my levels fall. Tired and body aches all the time.
Trouble writing, headaches, vision changes. etc.

I will let you know how my appt. goes tom and the advice that I recieve from my rhematoid.

Just know that you are not alone.
Take Care,
ARIES18

Last edited by ARIES18; 01-06-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

nicolina HB User

Hi:

Not so sure I have the same issues as you but I also tested pos for lupus (speckled). I was told it was so low that I shouldn't worry.
I also tested & for hsv1&2. I have tingling in my hands and feet. My wrists are tender to the touch. I some times feel as though my face is burning and my dermatologist gave me a cream for granuloma annuluire? There are so many herpes viruses out there and I think maybe we came in contact with more than one. I have been looking into hhv6A & B. That also reeks havoc on your immune system. I'm tired of the Drs. telling me its in my head. All they want to do is give you anti depressents.

Good luck ith your appointment.

I know its real

Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Brieukirsch. Have you read the possible SIDE EFFECTS for Valtrex? I think there are multiple BLACK BOX warnings, including thrombocytopenia, serious anemias, various nasty neuro problems, etc.

After you recheck these, I hope you immediately discuss same with the dr. who prescribed Valtrex to you (was it your GYN?). Also ask if you've been TESTED for any of these side effects, to the degree that tests are available, that is. (For example, there are DEFINITELY tests for thrombocytopenia & anemia & probably more.)

But I'm not suggesting your problems are attributable to the drug, as I'm merely a (dumb) patient. I'm only saying that the possibilities are such that, logically, you need this all reviewed.

If you've already covered these bases, sorry I've been repetitive. I hope you post again when you can. Meanwhile, good luck & best wishes, Vee

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
(female)

BE 123 HB User

VeeJ, thank you. I have indeed. I think it is ok bc I am not the type of immunocompromised to which the thrombo... refer (that is, transplants and advanced HIV), although there is indeed something amiss with my immune system. I say with certainty my problems are entirely hsv2, and I hope at this time it's "only" the hsv2 making me so miserable and not the hsv2 having triggered something else if that makes any sense. I certainly don't need new problems.

Do you know if it is safe to ingest silica (from Valtrex, other meds, vitamins, and supplements)? Dr. Wallace's books strongly recommend against silica exposure of any sort, but he mentions silica dust, and I don't know if silica in ANY form is bad for you? I know you are very familiar with his books so that's why I ask. It is such a common filler (binder) I am unable to find meds without it. I may have to locate a compounding pharmacy and pay $$$ if I can't get the hsv2 under control.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Nicolina, I am sorry you find yourself in similar situation. Regarding the hsv1 and hsv2 tests, make sure you had a type-specific IgG test and that the value for hsv2 was GREATER THAN 3.5 if your hsv1 was also positive. Due to cross-reactivity between hsv1 and 2, bc of their genetic similarity, the type-specific IgG test often gives false positive hsv2 when in fact you don't really have hsv2.

Of course if you have already had a culture that grew hsv2 that is a moot point. I don't mean to digress from lupus, but I feel strongly that hsv2 has ticked off my immune system and confused it (to put it gently).

What about hhv6a? I know there is a and b, and one is worse than to the other but I'm not sure which. I also have hhv6 and hhv7, bc I have pityriasis rosea. I'm one of the few handful of people in the WORLD who have had more than one episode of pr. Every time my hsv2 gets out of control with the full body constitutional symptoms and nerve pain and fevers and sore throats (YES, hsv2 causes sore throat for me EVERY TIME), my pr rash flares. It's like I have amassed a superherpes or something and it all comes out to play together and I don't know how to control it.

Are you on Valtrex or any antivirals?

Let me know what your rheuma says, take care.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-13-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
(female)

BE 123 HB User

ARIES, thanks for your reply, and sorry to hear you've got the nerve issues too. The nerve pain I have experienced from hsv2 covers such a range of pain from cigarette-burning to electricity to twitching to jolts to pin*****s and is the absolute worst pain I've ever had. How high was your ANA? And have you had any further testing to determine whether it is lupus, RA, MCTD or some other AI disease?

I also have bowel issues--my hsv2 has upset my bowels to the point I have sometimes 6-8 bms a day, all unsatisfying due to motility issues as the nerves are fired up, and all the straining has caused me to redevelop internal and external hemorrhoids so it is now useless to try to sit. And I also experience diarrhea a lot.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: High ANAs, silica ingestion, hsv2... advice please?

Brieaukirsch, I'm pretty sure some of the disorders you alluded to are possible in people who *aren't* immunocompromised---like thrombocytopenia, for one.

In lupus, the immune system is overactive, NOT deficient; the problem is that it's ALSO aberrant, in that it produces unwanted antibodies that attack healthy cells---anything from DNA matter, to cell cytoplasm, to platelets, to red blood cells, ETC. (Dr. Wallace lists them in a table in his hardcover.) Standard lupus therapies modify the immune system to reduce autoantibody production (antimalarials), or flat-out SUPPRESS it (steroids & immunosuppresants).

P.S. I don't know whether those med fillers can ever do harm.

P.P.S. Is the rash you described called rosacea? FYI, the literature states that rosacea & the lupus "butterfly" (malar) rash can be mistaken for one another. Hmmmm....

Yet people with totally different conditions entirely can have some of the same problems, but due to different underlying causes.

I'd asked if you'd looked into possible side effects for your med, only because one side effect I saw seemed kind of close to what you first wrote---I think it was nerve pain. So I was wondering if you'd asked your doctor which of your problems could possibly be medication-related, as oppsed to disease-related.

I hope above makes better sense, as my earlier post lacked a certain (ahem) clarity. Hope you've been having a good weekend, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 01-11-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Re: High ANAs, silica ingestion, hsv2... advice please?

Ha! I see I just edited my previous post & put the postscripts in the middle of the post. Duh. Sorry, I'm not having a good day here!

Just wanted to add that I also had horrible, chronic GI problems, for 20+ years. I was tested repeatedly for signs of inflamamtory bowel disease (Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, etc.) but no signs of those were ever found. Then, when I was finally Dx'ed with lupus, wasn't I surprised to learn that GI problems are common in lupus?! Even more surprising, mine cleared up very quickly after I started Plaquenil.

Many other causes are possible, but I just wanted to make sure you'd already read that GI problems may be seen in lupus. Best wishes, Vee

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
(female)

nicolina HB User

Vee, I'm not on any anti virals and I haven't gone to a reumatologist. I'm kind of in limbo with Drs. right now. I don't really remember what my test results for hsv1 and 2 were.Although I remember hsv2 was higher than 1 and yes they did a igg. I wouldn' even know how to check my records as I don't know which Dr. did the testing. I have been to many many Drs. to get at the bottom of my problem but all I get is you definately have something going on but everything else seems fine. My wbc is a little below 4.0 and I was told not to worry about that either because its not to far below normal. So for now I'm trying to eat healthy and trying to keep away from meds.

Closed Thread