HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lupus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/)
-   -   Is it possible to qualify for disability (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/665228-possible-qualify-disability.html)

sophie56 01-23-2009 08:30 PM

Is it possible to qualify for disability

if your Lupus is so bad you cannot work?
Thank-you,
Sophie

carthur 01-29-2009 08:10 PM

Re: Is it possible to qualify for disability

Generally Social Security Administration determine a "disability" can be emotional, or physical, or a combination of both. Generally to win benefits, your disability need to be severe enough to keep you from working in any regular paying job for at least 12 months without interruption.

you must also have a doctor state that you are disabled. Your doctor's opinion should be backed up by some clinical findings and/or laboratory findings.

sophie56 01-30-2009 05:13 PM

Thanks Sophie, I haven't been diagnosed long. Right now the pain is too bad to work but I haven't gotten on the meds for Lupus....just stressing before I need too I guess. Two kids in college, bills,yada, yada.

kacklebird 02-09-2009 07:09 PM

Hi Sophie,

I too have SLE and am now on disability. I worked for 3 years after being diagnosed, but finally had to stop due to feeling so sick and being in pain. I applied for SSDI approx 2 months after I had stopped working. It is a long drawn out process and be prepared to be denied. It's rare that anyone is approved on the first review unless they're terminal/dying. It's a shame though that they make you go through all of these hurdles. I believe too that they hope people will give up after being denied. After I was denied twice I then hired an attorney. He then contacted my local Congressman who contacted me. The Congressman's Representative also called me to go over some things and then my records were re-submitted and I got an On the Record Approval within 2 weeks after the Congressman got involved. If you do end up not being able to work apply for the SSDI. Your rheumy or PCP must back you up too as they will be filling out the paperwork for the SSDI. I think I was waiting for close to 2 years before getting approved, but I knew this was the norm and was told by all of my Lupus friends that this is how it typically is for the majority. Living with Lupus is a nightmare. I hate to sound negative, but it truly is for many of us. I loved working and was very active, but now I'm just a useless nothing as I call myself. It's too hard to do much of anything when you're sick. Some people seem to have breaks in between flares, but I haven't found that yet in my case. Sooo, make sure that your doctors will back you up as you will need them to. You can apply for SSDI on line or you can call to make a phone appt with them. I did the phone appt when I applied. When I got my first denial letter they said the reason they were denying me was due to my age and education level. What in the world does your age or education have to do with how a person can function when they're sick. I think it's a disgrace that the system works against many who truly need disability and that have worked hard their entire lives. I don't know your situation, but if you really feel that you're too sick to work then I would get the ball rolling only because it takes a long time to go through the process. There is also a website that is called Social Security Disability Coalition. You can join that group and read the gazillion postings from people who have been denied, been waiting, been approved, etc. There is also a lot of helpful information from this site in terms of disability. I think it's worth checking out. So hang in there and don't give up in terms of fighting SSDI if you get denied once you have applied. K?

Take care

sophie56 02-11-2009 08:58 PM

Thank-you for the great information. I'll definitely check out the site and suggestions you made I am 52 and feel it might be a long process.
Sophie 56

Hergie 05-11-2009 03:24 PM

quick reply...I was deemed disabled in 2001...I am now 44 y/o
if you have a regular doctor speak to them about helping you get the ball going. My family doctor was awesome

Alexa3 05-13-2009 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=sophie56;3882496]Thank-you for the great information. I'll definitely check out the site and suggestions you made I am 52 and feel it might be a long process.
Sophie 56[/QUOTE]

Sophie, some people with Lupus can work, not everyone with Lupus gets seriously ill. there are a few different kinds of Lupus, some caused my meds and all you do is have to stop the meds, some are a skin problem, Discord Lupus. Then there is SLE, systemic lupus which is what I have. That is the kind that can lead to kidney or organ failure due to your immune system working on overtime all the time. We go in out and out of what are called flares. When I go into a flare my joints are extremely painful and feel like they are on fire. Then you go into remission, some stay in remission for years. Give the medicine a chance to work. You could go for years without any problems.

I'll never consider myself a useless nothing. I can still be useful even if I can't work anymore. I learn to take things slow, light chores even if it is just for 15 minutes. I try to cook at least 5 dinners a week for my partner. I have a food saver where I make enough for a couple days or more then vacuum and freeze them. I have a toaster oven so I don't have to bend down for the oven. It's right there on the counter handy; crock pots make cooking easier. You learn as you go, you take naps when you need to and soak in the hot tub for muscles. I also have other problems, so even if my lupus is in remission I have CFS/Fibro OA, DDD, Raynaud's, Psoriasis. you are going to have hard times, but you need to have good support in a spouse; I have a great partner and not only does she work hard but she is great at massaging, and helping with the heavy housework, all while working full time. She is the best. Meanwhile I applied for SSD, Nov. 2005, and finally have a hearing June 4th, so it's a LONG HARD battle, so only take it if you really can't work. No money for years while you wait, so many go bankrupt waiting and almost lose their homes.

pearless 06-11-2009 01:17 PM

I had SLE before applying for ssd 15 years. Im not at almost 20 yr with SLE. I won mine and it took 3 years but I did not have to go to court. They are a little more quicker now from what I hear. My main disability is SLE my secondary also includes my vertebre fractures, hyperthyroid, and depression.

ajabj5 11-30-2009 07:44 AM

I was diagnosed with Lupus 3 years ago and have coped pretty well until recently with it. I am tired all the time, all I want to do is sleep. My body aches all over like a nagging tooth ache. The biggest bother I have is my mind not being clear or in a fog. I hear what is being said to me but don't always comprehend it. It is like I am there but I'm not.

My job is very stressful and with the retirement of a co-worker I have been given her job to do along with mine. I don't want to complain but I work for a small company and those that have been there for longer than I have if they don't want to do something it is handed off to me. The VP no longer does his work it is given to me to do so he can take care of personal things.

My son was in a near fatal auto accident 4 years ago next month. He has frontal and temporal lobe brain damage. This controls his emotions and behavior, he is 24. He has bouts of violence, and anger outbursts that are constant. Not only do I have a stressful job at work but I come home to more stress with doing the best I can to keep him under control so he doesn't hurt someone or himself.

I asked my DR 2 weeks ago for a medical leave and she gave me 2 weeks. That time will be up on Friday. I don't feel any more rested than I did the day I went out there for blood work. I have had a cough for over a month I can't get rid of and I found out through work that I have short term disability and this would be great if I could get this and still have insurance so I can go to the DR until I get better.

My WBC is always 10,000-15,000 above normal. It has been like this since day one. My last SED levels were elevated and she told me I was on the beginning stages of Rhuem. Arthritis.

I need to take care of my self. And I have never had to ask anyone to do anything to help me and I have a difficult time asking the DR for this and I NEED more that 2 weeks I need more than 4.

Any ideas?

Madison104 12-01-2009 04:55 AM

ajb, I am sorry for your pain. I remember being in your situation years ago and I needed time off from work. My doctor was doing the "I suspect you have Lupus" bloodwork and was going to send me back to work until the results came in. I remember sitting in his office, across from him. I looked at him and said " Respectfully doctor, I know medically you understand what my illness probably is, but AS your patient you just don't know how much I am suffering. I can NOT return to work, I just can NOT get myself out of bed and do what is required of me at this time. Please give me a slip to remain out of work, until the bloodwork comes back and until you can get me feeling better." He agreed, and actually I was out of work for the next 4 years on a work disability, until I had my remission. Today I am much older and things changed for the worse and I am on SSD.

Just be honest. You don't feel well enough to return to work at this time. I would ask the doctor to please take care of you AS his patient. Work can wait.

I wish you the best...
Madison104

socalswan06 12-24-2009 01:14 PM

Hi..I was finally diagnosed with SLE earlier this year. It has been almost a decade since my doctor at the time discovered an elevated SED rate (77), I just hadn't met enough of the criteria needed to call it LUPUS.
I seem to have a continuous flare..it never stops.
I have also been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynaud's. My SED rate is now 126 (it was 89 about 3 months ago). I feel horrible everyday.
I have been fighting for my SSI for over 2 years now. I'm in the hearing stage.

To add icing on the cake I also have PTSD from the loss of my husband in 2002, Bi-Polar(hereditary), and Borderline Personality Disorder. I feel like a circus dog jumping through all the hoops SSI has made me go through. I do have a Lawyer now to get me through the final process.

I'm not being treated for my Lupus. I feel worse everyday. I don't go out. I can't clean the house and I'm only 40. I have developed voice box, lung ish issues in the last few weeks. I don't know what it means but I guess not being diagnosed for nearly a decade isn't helping my situation.

Sorry to ramble on but I feel that this is the only place where I'll be understood. I have been called a liar and that I don't go places as an excuse with Lupus having nothing to do with it.

It feels like I'm wearing a "pain suit". I'ts hard to breathe.

I'll let ya go..thanks for listening,
Lorrie

carthur 12-25-2009 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=socalswan06;4149307]Hi..I was finally diagnosed with SLE earlier this year. It has been almost a decade since my doctor at the time discovered an elevated SED rate (77), I just hadn't met enough of the criteria needed to call it LUPUS.
I seem to have a continuous flare..it never stops.
I have also been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynaud's. My SED rate is now 126 (it was 89 about 3 months ago). I feel horrible everyday.
I have been fighting for my SSI for over 2 years now. I'm in the hearing stage.

To add icing on the cake I also have PTSD from the loss of my husband in 2002, Bi-Polar(hereditary), and Borderline Personality Disorder. I feel like a circus dog jumping through all the hoops SSI has made me go through. I do have a Lawyer now to get me through the final process.

I'm not being treated for my Lupus. I feel worse everyday. I don't go out. I can't clean the house and I'm only 40. I have developed voice box, lung ish issues in the last few weeks. I don't know what it means but I guess not being diagnosed for nearly a decade isn't helping my situation.

Sorry to ramble on but I feel that this is the only place where I'll be understood. I have been called a liar and that I don't go places as an excuse with Lupus having nothing to do with it.

It feels like I'm wearing a "pain suit". I'ts hard to breathe.

I'll let ya go..thanks for listening,
Lorrie[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------

Start getting treatment for you Lupus as soon as possible. This will help your case a great deal. Also, if you don't get treatment, SSA may not acknowledge that you have the illness.

Madison104 12-25-2009 01:13 PM

Oh yes, please do seek treatment, as it is important for ss but also for you as well. Lupus can affect any part of our body, so please, please seek out care.
I have Lupus and this illness does feel like we are wearing a pain suit.
I am very sorry that you are hurting...
Hope you get relief soon...
Madison

ccrook74 12-31-2009 08:41 PM

Yes. Go online to Social Security Web site and you'll see their Blue Book as a reference on some diseases that does qualify you however it has to be at point you can't work, it affects your job or you lose your job due to your disease, the effects. Hope this helps.