It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
Smile Lupus and new hope....

I have hypothyroidism, but I am not being properly treated right now due to adrenal fatigue. I have been studying lupus and all sorts of autoimmune diseases for a while now. I had a hunch that lupus, scleroderma, and hashimotos' were all caused by long term undiagnosed subclinical hypothyroidism, due to bad testing and poor medicine like synthroid. So, in my many books that I have read and all the research I have since learned, I am wondering if anyone here with Lupus has ever tried Armour to help with their Lupus? Armour is a natural desiccated thyroid medication. And I have heard of some success with it, but would like to meet others who have found success with it too.
Thanks
Mia

Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

wants2Bwell HB User
Re: Lupus and new hope....

hello
i have been hypo since 1978. I was probably hypo most of my life but the goiter showed up in my teens. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac and lupus. Felt like a truck hit me for 20 years on synthroid. Started cytomel a month ago and starting to feel human again. I wonder if the lupus will go away. The pain has subsided significantly since starting cytomel. Go figure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
Smile Re: Lupus and new hope....

have you or your doctor ever thought about trying Armour for your lupus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wants2Bwell View Post
hello
i have been hypo since 1978. I was probably hypo most of my life but the goiter showed up in my teens. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac and lupus. Felt like a truck hit me for 20 years on synthroid. Started cytomel a month ago and starting to feel human again. I wonder if the lupus will go away. The pain has subsided significantly since starting cytomel. Go figure!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. My thyroid function is normal, so personally I would NOT take a thyroid supplement, be it Rx or "natural". Having seen people in the "hyperthyroid phase", before they turned hypothyroid---well, they felt awful on both ends of the spectrum.

Systemic lupus involves the unwanted production of a wide range of very specific autoantibodies (anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, etc.) not seen in normal people---and not seen in people with "only" thyroid conditions. The goal of lupus treatment is to *suppress* the immune response to disrupt that unwanted production.

I'm certainly no doctor or biochemist [Ha! What an understatement!], but I picture treatment of hypothyroidism as different. Isn't the goal to *augment* a substance the body is making too little of? But maybe excluding the Hashimoto's form, in which anti-thyroid antibodies are seen?

There have been people here in the past with both lupus & Hashimoto's, so hopefully they'll post & make much better sense than I just did! With best wishes to all, Vee

Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

Vee, when you say that your thyroid function was so called "normal" can you share your test results? My test results were normal too, it wasn't until I did my own research that found out that my test was not normal. According to 15 doctors that I saw, including endocrinologists, my thyroid is still normal, but according to the AACE and clinical laboratories and U.V.A, and my new doctor and Dr. Broda Barnes and Dr. Mark Starr, and Dr. Stephen Langer and the morning basal body temperature then my thyroid is far from normal. Had i not pursued this very hard, I would still be undiagnosed. The lab values changed in 2003 and I could not find one lab or doctor in Virginia (to this day) who knows about the new thyroid lab ranges. So please post your test results, then I will give you the proof that the labs are not accurate in our society today.
Thanks
Mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Hi. My thyroid function is normal, so personally I would NOT take a thyroid supplement, be it Rx or "natural". Having seen people in the "hyperthyroid phase", before they turned hypothyroid---well, they felt awful on both ends of the spectrum.

Systemic lupus involves the unwanted production of a wide range of very specific autoantibodies (anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, etc.) not seen in normal people---and not seen in people with "only" thyroid conditions. The goal of lupus treatment is to *suppress* the immune response to disrupt that unwanted production.

I'm certainly no doctor or biochemist [Ha! What an understatement!], but I picture treatment of hypothyroidism as different. Isn't the goal to *augment* a substance the body is making too little of? But maybe excluding the Hashimoto's form, in which anti-thyroid antibodies are seen?

There have been people here in the past with both lupus & Hashimoto's, so hopefully they'll post & make much better sense than I just did! With best wishes to all, Vee

Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
(female)

ItIsntLupus HB User
Lightbulb Re: Lupus and new hope....

I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) in 1999, and gone slowly downhill. I have felt unbelievably bad for the past 2 years, the pain is excruciating and exhausting and there is no cure. I now have hope I didn't have before. I think I was mis-diagnosed, I think others have been as well, and that I actually have Wilson's Temperature Syndrome (WTS)

WTS is a deficiency in the T3 thyroid hormone, and it does not show up on lab tests. Cytomel (extended release must be mixed by compounding pharmacy) is the T3 supplement. One of the symptoms is an average body temp less than 98 degrees. I've been 96-97 all my life. I've had just about every other symptom at one time or another, most at the same time. It's CURABLE in as little as 3 weeks to 1 year. The cure is relatively harmless, so unless there is a specific counter-indication, the suggestion is try and see if it works. The treatment is analogous to going on birth control to regulate periods, after a couple of months on the pill, most never have the irregular periods again, but if they do, they can go back on the pill, etc.

After spending the past 5 years paying over $1000 month for my prescriptions alone, most of which are poison for my body, even the thought of being cured and back to my old self is elating. Please cross your fingers for me – I start the treatment next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wants2Bwell View Post
hello

Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

You are absolutely right! I wish more people knew what you know! But Armour thyroid also has T3 in it and I have heard that it's working wonderfully for many Lupus patients! So I will be very curious to see how you do on this treatment, please keep us updated and let us know!
I am so excited for you.
Mia

Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

This is all so very interesting. I have been working to get my thyroid and other auto immune issues in line for years. I have started on the T3 cytomel and it has helped the fatigue and certainly finally adjusted my numbers.

I think Veej's info may be correct in that the goal for people like me with Hashmotos is to suppress the antibodies. Making one system of our bodies work better can always benefit another.

Glojer

Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
(female)

tiredmom71 HB User

hi im ramona in conway,wow! thats great to know.ive been in alot of pain accompanied by fatigue.i recently had to quit my job and apply for disibility due to lupas,arthritis,and high blood pressure.ive experienced chest pn.in the last 2 weeks,have you had that problem with lupas?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
(female)

tiredmom71 HB User

i will be prayiong for you.that would be awsome if it works for you.i know the pain u have experienced and i dont wish that on anyone.please keep us posted and if it works for you than im willing to try it! anything to not feel the way i do everyday.

Last edited by tiredmom71; 02-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Closed Thread