It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
I saw the Rheumatologist today ...help!!!!

A month ago my Hematologist told me I had Lupus and referred me to a Rheumatologist. The Rheumie said my ANA was 1:150 and I have many of the symptoms. He said something that starts with a G (sorry can't remember what he called it) was high and with Lupus was generally low but high with Fibromyalgia but that Fibro and Lupus go hand in hand. Basically he redid all tests I just had a month ago and told me to come back in a week
Any thoughts would be SO appreciated..
Thank-you ,
Sophie

Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: I saw the Rheumatologist today ...help!!!!

Maybe Guillian-Barre I think that is the correct spelling. It is a nervous system disorder that causes muxcle weakness{in a nutshell}.

Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

klbk HB User
Wink Re: I saw the Rheumatologist today ...help!!!!

Hi Sophie 156:
Are you saying he said a lab test that starts with a G was high? I'm not sure what test it was, but you might refer to the sticky at the top of the lupus boards referring to lupus lab tests.

I presume your doc is doing specific testing to differentiate your disease. A lot of these autoimmune processes are in the same family. Once the body decides to attack itself, it turns on all kinds of responses. It can take a while to figure out the details.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
A month ago my Hematologist told me I had Lupus and referred me to a Rheumatologist. The Rheumie said my ANA was 1:150 and I have many of the symptoms. He said something that starts with a G (sorry can't remember what he called it) was high and with Lupus was generally low but high with Fibromyalgia but that Fibro and Lupus go hand in hand. Basically he redid all tests I just had a month ago and told me to come back in a week
Any thoughts would be SO appreciated..
Thank-you ,
Sophie

Sophie did you get a copy of your lab report? You should always do that and keep it in a file so you can refer to it. I have Fibro and there isn't anything that comes low with Fibro other than maybe vitamin D and a lot of people who have Fibro have low Vit. D. Usually with Fibro your tests all just come back normal. Mine do but for low Vit D and my SED rate that's high and my CRP that's also high. so I guess I'm a freak of nature until they decide where to put me LOL!!!
Take care,
Sharon

Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya sophie,

I don't quite understand what he means - lupus and fibro go hand in hand - as this statement is wrong.

There are people with lupus who don't have fibro, and people with fibro who don't have lupus. You won't as a matter of course develop fibro if you have lupus so this seems an odd thing to say to me.

This point needs clarification from him - you need good info and up to date info when dealing with doctors and don't ever be afraid to question things if you are uncertain of what has been said.

Take care,
goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 03-18-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sophie, I am not playing a Dr here, but due to my MS, Lupus, Fibro and RA I done a lots of research and can say something to you: if a Dr would tell me that Fibro and Lupus go hand in hand - would scare me enough to leave him for good.

This statement is so wrong! First of all: there are no blood tests showing Fibro. Fibro can be Dx only by a good RA Dr and only by pressure points and overall symptoms. Many DRs don't even recognise Fibro as a condition and only b/s there are no tests shown Fibromyologa .

So please do yourself a favor and go for second opinion, never hurts to get more information!
Best of luck to you, honey.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

My Rheumy also said that many people with Lupus have Fibromyalgia.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Alexa3, that is a true statement, many people with lupus do have fibromyalgia. It is however not a given that if you have lupus you will have fibro or if you have fibro you will have lupus. Sophie''s doc seem to make a blanket statement that lupus and fibro go together, that is an incorrect statement. Your doc seems to have a better grasp of what is going on.

Glojer

Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

He does, I have a good Rheumy, and no it isn't wise for a Dr to make a blanket statement like every one has one they will get the other. If that were so then Fibromyalgia patients would be taken more seriously.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Amen to that Alexa3!

Closed Thread