It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Ana

The doc said my ANA is 1150 . Is that high, moderate, or what??
Thanks,
Sophie56

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

karenboss HB User
Re: Ana

Hi Sophie -
I saw in your other post that you are just tested and waiting to see ruhmatologist - is that right? Me too

your ANA number doesn't look like other's I've seen - mine is 1:18, relatively low, I think the normal way to express the ANA is 1:XX - and it referest to the number of dilutions that the tester went through and still saw positive results. The larger the second number the more active the disease at the time of the test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Sophie, I read about two measuring scales in Dr. Daniel Wallace's very helpful lupus hardcover. You could browse it in many libraries & bookstores.
1. ratios that keep doubling, e.g., 1:160 (read as "one to one-hundred and sixty"), 1:320, 1:640, 1:1280, etc. Dr. Wallace considers 1:1280 high.
2. the other is called International Units. Dr. Wallace considers anything over 30 I.U.'s high.

But ANA is elevated in various conditions, not just lupus (like RA, Sjogren's, scleroderma, Addison's, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, polymyositis, vitiligo); also due to family tendency, aging, or a passing virus. It doesn't mean that much in & of itself, except to encourage further study, probably.

Hope this helps some, best wishes, Vee

Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thanks guys. I did not actually see results . The doctor told me it was 1150. Could it be 1:150?
Thanks,
Sophie 56

I saw the Rheumatologist Wed. and have to see him again Wed. of the coming week. He ran all tests again! He suspects fibromyalgia as well as Lupus. It that normal or unusual.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Sophie, I was also wondering if you'd been told the results, as opposed to actually seeing same. You could just ask for a copy.

One reads Fibro is common in lupus patients. Weirdly, most everything my local drs. ascribed to fibromyalgia got much better when I started Plaquenil, which makes me wonder: just how often do symptoms overlap?

Good luck with your two upcoming rheumie appts. I hope you get clarification soon. Not a moment too soon, as the saying goes! Best wishes, Vee

Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thanks Vee, I'll ask for a copy. All he did was tell me a score???He said I may have Fibro as well as they go hand in hand. Sadly it is all Greek to me

Closed Thread