It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
What do I do??/?

Does anyone with Lupus have nausea, diaharea ., to weak and disoriented to work. I have been so sick since Saturday night. First, constipated, diarehea , and nausea. I didin't think I could stay at work and feel I have to . I am a school teacher and have missed 39 days this year. I don't feel like I can work tomorrow. Anyone having these problems. I just can't get fired. I have 2 kids to put through college. Any help or input?
Also, anyone with Lupus and possible Fibromyalgia? Do you take pain meds or any other meds or both. Sorry this is all so new to me and I am just not handling it. I have never been so sick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: What do I do??/?

Hiya sophie,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad at the moment. I hope I can put your mind at rest about some of your post content.

I gave my input as a person who has had SLE for over 30 years and not as a medical practitioner. Your symptoms seem to me to be the result of a bug going around or even from something you have eaten. Even food preparation can give rise to sometimes causing us to have tummy upsets as you describe.

It could also be caused as a result of taking OTC medicines. Any medicines you get from a pharmacy must be checked and double checked to make sure they don't have an interaction with prescribed meds. Even a simple cough linctus can cause lots of problems for a person with lupus.

There is a more serious take on this, which I will describe here but as I say only from my own experience of having lupus.

There is something which is termed as 'acute abdomen'. This is a condition that describes the sudden onset of tummy/abdominal pain. A variety of serious problems can cause this condition. You should see your doctor immediately if you develop acute abdomen. Things to look out/be aware of include the following :

Abdominal pain that may be severe and radiate throughout the abdominal area. Nausea, vomiting, or even loss of appetite. Change in usual bowel movements. - Sorry about that one. Very serious is vomiting blood or blood in the stool.

If you have any of the above you must go as soon as possible to see your doctor and describe exactly how you are feeling and describe you syptoms thoroughly.

Having said that, I am only giving that information as a guideline to a more serious look at what is happening to you. I would explore also the points raised earlier in my reply to your post.

You asked about lupus and fibro. I too have fibro which is classed as secondary to my SLE. Lots of people with lupus do have fibro, but in the main there are a lot of people with fibro who don't have lupus. It is not something that is a given when you have lupus. Lots of other people with lupus don't have fibro - so the two don't go hand in hand.

I don't take pain meds because I have had heart attacks and heart surgery, plus other surgeries and have other medical conditons and disabilities. I am on so many toxic meds that I cannot be prescribed painkillers as they interact with each other and would cause major problems for me. That is only what would happen to me though. I know lots of people who do take pain meds for lupus and also take meds for fibro which are mainly muscle relaxants which encourage good sleep which in turn makes the pressure point pain and so on of fibro a little more bearable.

Sorry it has been such a long post, but I don't come on here now as much as I used to and wanted to be of much help as possible to you.

Take care, goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Goldenwings, I am so happy to get a response from you. I am fairly new here. I was diagnosed in January. I read a post from you saying you hadn't been on due to health problems. I thought of you often and it uplifted my heart to see you posting to me. ..to better days and you are in my prayers.
Thanks,
Sophie56

Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: What do I do??/?

Hiya Sophie,

Any time I can be of help let me know either here or through the private messaging section - PM - which is listed at the top of the forum.

I know sometimes that there are personal things which may be associated with lupus that we don't always feel comfy discussing openly so I will help all I can.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-25-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Sophie. In addition to all the good points "GW" posted [Hi, GW!], I'm wondering if the AWFUL FLU is in your area, too? We have it here in the northeast, big-time & widespread. I can't shake it. For over 2 weeks, I've had respiratory aspects, fever, chills, aching---and now GI misery... So while flu is NOT something I'd wish on you, if it's that, hopefully your misery is episodic as opposed to chronic.

When you were Dx'ed, were you put on new meds? Had you taken them for awhile before the AWFUL hit?

Are you feeling any better? If not, I hope you've spoken to your doctor.

Sending you get-well-soon wishes! Hang tough & take good care, Vee

Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thanks Veej, and maybe I did get a bug. I have felt a little better today. I see the rheumie again tomorrow so I'll have more news then I hope. I hope you are feeling better.
Sophie56

Closed Thread