It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

JPCA HB User
Plaquenil and hairloss

One of my main symptom is a severe hair loss. It's diffuse but more pronounced on top of my head At the on-set of this disease almost two years ago, I've lost more then 70% of my hair (on top). I've always had very thick and straight hair, but now I can see through the scalp and the little regrowth is so much thinner and wavy. I am now on Plaquenil (started 2 weeks ago) My question is: does Plaquenil help with hair regrowth? Anyone experience positive results from taking Plaquenil, if so, how long did it take to grow hair back. I am really interested in feedback regarding Plaquenil and hair growth. I want my hair back....

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Plaquenil and hairloss

JPCA, I had hair thinning & severe breakage along the hairline, but not as severe as you described, I think... I've gotten my hair back. FYI, I don't have alopecia, and I never had "discoid" (scarring) lesions on my scalp. I wear wide-brimmed hats religiously, use sunblock, and strictly limit midday sun, 10-4, which I hate, but do nevertheless.

I'm in a very tiny subgroup: positive *only* for anti-Ro & also very photosensitive. I took 400 mg Plaquenil for 1-1/3 years, then dropped to 200 mg. With lifestyle changes, it's helped a overall, hair included. But I still have episodes, which affect my hair some, but not nearly as much as before.

I have to baby my hair: strengthening conditioner, towel gently & then dry with a gentle dryer, wear hats, etc.

FYI, Plaquenil can take 3-4 months to reach its full effect, so I hope that you'll see HUGE improvement in the coming weeks & months. Take good care, and post more when you have the time. With my best, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User

Hi, there. Plaquenil will eventually help your hair loss, but that will be a very slow process over a long period of time since plaquenil builds up in your body pretty slowly. And you should keep your head a scalp protected from the sun as VeeJ said. Are you taking any prednisone at all? I know, the dreaded steroids, but when taken for a limited amount of time, it can be very helpful with skin and hair symptoms without much worry. The immune gunk builds up in the hair follicles and basically chokes them off and the hair just withers away and falls out. Prednisone is much faster at stopping this process so that the hair follicles can clear out and get healthy again and start to regrow your hair. It takes time, though. It took a long time for my hair to stop falling out and a long time after that for it to actually start coming back in a way you could actually see, at least 4-5 months, altogether. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I have been losing my hair for a little more than a year now. I am on prednisone. I haven't lost quite as much as you have, but probably 35 to 40% of mine. I use to have very thick hair with plenty of body to it. You can now see my scalp around my part and especially where I have cowelicks ( I know I murdered that spelling) it almost appears as if I have a bald spot. My hair does appear thinner in the front also. I just went through a severe shedding spell. Like veej I try to be very delicate with my hair. Some of my problem is thyroid, I just also went very hypothyroid and I know that contributed to it.

I guess I am lucky to have had such thick hair I still look ok, and the body to my hair keeps it from looking flat. I however can't seem to notice any new growth. Don't know if it is my age, or being postmenopausal. I have also lost all my leg hair. Haven't figured all this out yet.

Glojer

Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
(female)

JPCA HB User

thanks darkwater. Did you experience more hairloss initially with Plaquenil? I've been losing hair steadily since a year and half ago. I have lost maybe 70% especially on top. Plaquenil seems to make the hairloss worse. How quickly did your hair grow back after taking Plaquenil?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

Kim Carron HB User

have just taken my first plaquenil. Like you I have hair loss, I only have a bit left on top of my head and all hair on body fell out last year, so no eyebrows etc

Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
(female)

JPCA HB User

Hi Kim,

Did your doctor tell you that Plaquenil will help you with hair loss? My doctor said that it may not make it grow back to where it used to be but may stop further loss. So far, it's been a month since I have been taking it but I don't see any improvement. I think the hair shedding is same ot worse. Is your hair re-growing at all?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
(female)

ronics HB User

Dear JPCA,

I have also experianced a lot of hair loss. it started many years ago. I have been diagnosed with conective tissue disease. (RA, lupus sle, lupus discoid) What I have recently found out is that my Lupus Dicoid is the main cause of my hair loss. It is because of UV exposure. Now... you have to understand... I have been wearing a hat and used spf70-85 sunscreen for the past three years( since pos for lupus). I am a fanatic about it. When I told my dermatologist this she asked me to wear a hat indoors! She said the new curly light bulbs that are good for the environment is awful for lupus patients! I have also been on plaquinel from the begining. Recently off prednisone after 3 years. And I'm also injecting methotrexate for years.Mt dermatologist has prescribed me an ointment to wear at night on my scalp. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't recall the name. Are you taking folic acid? That is suppose to help. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Ronics

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

Kim Carron HB User

He said it would help, but didnt hold up much hope of my hair coming back, on plaquenil two weeks now and hair has stopped falling out and some growth on the back of my head but not sure its related to the drugs

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
(female)

ResilientRed HB User

I've been on plaquenil for almost 2 yrs. After the first couple months I noticed that my hair was "shedding" a lot. When I brought the concern up to my rheumatologist he said that the hair loss was "probably" due to lupus itself & not the result of taking plaquenil! I found his response strange given the fact that I wasn't losing hair prior to taking plaquenil.

I believe that at some point you will stop losing hair but i strongly doubt that plaquenil will aid in growing it back!

Closed Thread