It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

grizzlyrose HB User
ana positive, speckled,1;80 titer

On 2/28 all bloodwork came back normal: ANA was postive, speckled, 1:80 titer. ESR was a 5 (negative), RF/nephelometry was a 9 (neg), CRP was a 5 (neg), ANCA was negative, CBC was within normal level, wbc auto, liver and urine all "WNL" cept, urine had a trace of proteinand RBC was 4-10. (standard value 0-3/hpf). Anyways on 3/13/09 the Rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, Now my big question is, is it possible to be diagnosed with Fibromyalagia before a serious disease, even know the Dr. feels as though blood work is fine? Also put me on voltaren for pain and inflammtion and trazadone for a better quailty slumber. but my left hip and thigh still hurts in the day and wakes me up at night, but is does help with the rest of my widespread pain.So I would appreciated anyones input on this messages. Thank you, Grizz.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: ana positive, speckled,1;80 titer

autoimmune diseases can take time to develop and affect your blood work. i was diagnosed with CFS & autoimmune dysfunction in the beginning (ana 1:320), fibromyalgia, mild lupus, back to fibromyalgia again, and now 13 yrs later, MCTD (ana 1:640 & RNP 7.3 at it's highest), well my doctor didn't say I had MCTD 100% positively but he said I very well could, and I pretty much know I do, but it takes forever to get in with a rhematologist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Grizzly, I think it's entirely possible to be dx'ed with fibromyalgia before some more serious condition. Fibromyalgia doesn't show up in bloodwork & has many features that overlap with certain AI's, so maybe it's "what's left" when labs don't show anything more concrete...?

BTW, I certainly think fibro is real. I certainly had tender spots, etc. for decades before I developed more lupus-specific symptoms & an auto-antibody that finally showed up on blood tests.

Hang in there! Best wishes, Vee

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

Stacey8505 HB User

There is no diagnostic bloodwork for fibromyalgia. To be diagnosed with fibro, specific sites on the body are palpitated and if 11 of the 18 specific sites are tender, then the patient is diagnosed with fibro. In pts with fibro, the brain is unable to modulate pain signals from the body - a good way to think about it is it's like the brain has the pain volume knob turned too high - so pain signals are interpreted by the brain as exagerated.

Fibro is often comorbid with depression and anxiety, and it's not sure if this has to do with a disruption in serotonin receptors (one of the receptors involved with depression and anxiety) or if the body's inflammation is a precurser to serotonin disruption. For example, 5-HIAA is a precursor to serotonin, and a high ratio of 5-HIAA to quinolinic signal inflammation and is often seen in patients with both inflammation (auto immune) and depression. Both H-HIAA and the quinolinic metabolite can be measured with bloodwork.

If you are having some depression with your fibro pain, then ask your doctor to try Cymbalta. You could also try Lyrica, and you can take the two together. Neurontin is the generic for Lyrica; there is no generic for Cymbalta right now.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

Bryansmom HB User

I don't think Neurontin is the generic for Lyrica. Neurontin is a name brand drug for which Gabapentin is the generic. Pregabalin is the generic for Lyrica.

Closed Thread