It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

JPCA HB User
Plaquenil side effect: hairloss

I have been taking Plaquenil for about a month now and I've noticed that my hair loss is even more severe than before. Is this a side effect of taking Plaquenil. Does anyone have the same experience? If so, does the hair loss subside after a while or will continue to fall out? If I stop Plaquenil, will the lost hair grow back???

I thought Plaquenil is supposed to help with hair loss , not promote it

Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

organichick HB User
Re: Plaquenil side effect: hairloss

Hi JPCA

Sorry to hear about the negative effects you are experiencing from this drug.

I too have suffered drastic hairloss due to Lupus and it's for this precise reason that I am not taking the drug.

You should have been informed of the side effects which include: irritability, nervousness, emotional changes, nightmares, convulsions, nerve deafness, muscle weakness, blurred vision, light flashes, edema, bleaching of hair, alopecia, aplastic anaemia, anorexia and nausea.

At present I am exploring the possibility of a homeopath.

Stay well.

All the best.x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

watoozie HB User

I also had hair loss due to Lupus. I also have Sjogrens Syndrome. I have been on Plaquenil for almost 4 years. My hair loss seemed to get better after time, it is by far not thick as it was, but sure not as thin either. The Plaquenil helped with my symptoms so much so that I would not want to be without it. It took about 4 months to reap the full benefits from it, and I have had a few flares, but Plaquenil made me feel so much better!! Hope you have good luck with it, maybe you could even use Rogain to help with your hair loss. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

Jesse88 HB User

I've been on Plaquenil for two years and I just happened to see a picture of myself from two years ago and I could see my hair was definitiely thicker back then. I have suspected overall thinning for a while now but that picture confirmed it. I don't know if the Plaq. is causing it, the lupus, Sjogrens, or the Imuran, but I've decided I have to take these meds regardless and just hope my hair doesn't get any thinner. Someone said biotin supplements help but I haven't had any luck with that.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
(female)

claresparkle HB User

You are not alone. I have been on Plaquenil for about 3 months and have definite hair loss. It's bad enough dealing with Sjogren's Syndrome but having this fine, thin hair is a real bummer. I have considered not taking the Plaquenil but it has been helping me to feel better. Good luck with your situation - at least know that you are not the only one.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

4boystolove HB User

I have been on Plaquenil for 12 years. In the last few months I have noticed that my hair is falling out. I wear alot of tank tops and I would feel something tickling my arm and it would be a long strand of hair. My hair has gotten alot thinner and when I wash my hair and comb it out......so much comes out that it freaks me out. Called my doc yesterday and he said Plaquenil does not cause hair loss. Wants me to come to figure out what is causing the hair loss. What these docs do not understand is that we (as patients) are the ones experiencing this. If we are all on plaquenil and our hair is falling out............***? of course it is the drug. I want to go off of it but I am scared. I am going to do alot more research on this. My husband is being an idiot and wants me to get all different kinds of wigs. I believe it is the plaquenil.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

4boys, are you photosensitive? For those who are, I think sun can trigger bad things---not just rashes, but overall flares, which could include hair thinning.

I haven't worn a tank top without BIG protection over it, like a shirt of tight weave, since I was Dx'ed 9+ years ago. I also wear HATS with wide brim & of tight weave. I've taken Plaquenil for 9+ years. My hair is 100% better than it was in my bad years. Of course, I'm just a patient, so please read above in that context---meaning please review sun precautions with your drs. Good luck & wishing you better hair days, Vee

Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

ronics HB User

4boys,

Vee may only be a patient but she know a lot. My hair started falling out when I was 17. Today I am 48 and have very little on top. I even had a hair transplant before dx at40. All before ever taking plaquinil. A dermatologist is the doc to see for it. My hair loss is from years of photosensitivity. Even with a hat and topical steroids to control it it is falling out. I am so tired of not having hair. For the first time I am thinking of a wig. I want the hair I always wanted and this could be my only chance. Does anyone know if insurence will pay for it? We don't have cancer but we are on chemo and lupus is a disease that has this issue.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

I think vrs. diseases can damage hair. My only sis is hypothyroid; hers became very coarse & she lost a lot of it, too (evenly spread out, not in patches). My best to everyone, Vee

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

i've taken plaquenil for 15 years and only started hair loss since the introduction of methotrexate. i bought a fun wig from hsn for $99...haven't had the nerve to wear it out yet.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
(female)

organichick HB User

Hi 4Boys2love
Sorry to hear about the stress you're having to deal with. Just like you I have had dramatic hair loss amongst the other distressing symptoms. My last resort was Chinese medicine and together with prayer I have been going to acupuncture and taking herbal tablets and after 2 years my hair is now growing back. It may not work for everyone but it has aleviated the majority of my problems. Hope this helps! All the best.x

Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
(female)

organichick HB User

Hi Heidiclouser
Sorry to hear about the stress you're having to deal with. Just like you I have had dramatic hair loss amongst the other distressing symptoms. My last resort was Chinese medicine and together with prayer I have been going to acupuncture and taking herbal tablets and after 2 years my hair is now growing back. It may not work for everyone but it has aleviated the majority of my problems. Hope this helps! All the best.x

Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #13
(female)

organichick HB User

Hi Ronics
Sorry I'm not sure about the insurance issue but Just like you I have had dramatic hair loss amongst the other distressing symptoms. My last resort has been to turn to Chinese medicine and together with prayer I have been going to acupuncture and taking herbal tablets for the last 4 months and after 2 years my hair is now growing back. It may not work for everyone but it has aleviated the majority of my problems. Hope this helps! All the best.x

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
(female)

Kimmioh HB User

My daughter started taking plaquenil April 2008 for UCTD. She was experiencing a small amount of hair loss at that time and we were told by the Dr. that plaquenil would help with her auto-immune disease and the hair loss.

The hair shedding stopped around November 2008 but started up again in April 2009 and has not stopped yet! The hair loss has been extreme and she is only 16! We are devastated by this!!! We too believe it is the plaquenil but cannot get any clear answers from anyone. Even her doctor's at Universtiy of Chicago can't or "won't" tell us what to do. After a scalp biopsy, we were told "her scalp is normal!" If it were truly "normal", I wouldn't have quart baggies full of her hair that we collect on a daily basis. It falls out in the shower; it falls out when she combs it; and it falls out even when the wind blows! The doctors told us to try rogaine, and gave us a topical steroid to take down the inflammation. Have been using these 2 products since July, and nothing is helping.

We too want to stop the plaqunil for we believe it is the reason for the shedding. (Even the print out from the pharmacy states plaquenil can cause hair loss.) Her doctor advises against quitting the drug for he believes it helps with her UCTD, however, my daughter said she would rather live in pain than be bald by the age of 18!
If anyone has any answers out there, PLEASE send them to us.

Thank you.

A mother and daughter in tears....

Last edited by Kimmioh; 09-16-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
(female)

Kimmioh HB User

Thank you! I too believe this drug is the cause of all of our problems.

Closed Thread