It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

daniellexo HB User
is it worth exploring if this could be lupus?

I've had splinter hemorrhages in my fingernails on and off for years, but more so lately. A doctor tested me for heart ailments and then said it's just one of those weird, but normal abnormalities. Because of the increase lately, I started researching it online and some websites suggest it can be a sign of lupus.

Now that I read lupus symptoms, there is a lot I don't have, but then a lot that I do but I know they can be indications of a lot of things...My usual "symptoms" are frequent canker sores in my mouth, abnormal rashes when exposed to sun (though not specifically the butterfly and I use plenty of sunscreen), heart palpitations, frequent pins and needles/numbess, general fatigue, swollen glands, depression, hiccups/heartburn, muscle pain and weakness, shortness of breathe, headaches, muscle twitching in sleep, dizzy spells, cold feet and the splinter hemorrhages.

My father has scleroderma which I understand is not specifically genetic but that autoimmune diseases as a whole can be.

I do feel generally "healthy" but sometimes, I think that I've just gotten used to all the symptoms, some of which come and go but all which occur at least once in any given month. However, they are all so general that I feel silly going to a doctor. Also I don't have a family doctor (I can never find one accepting new patients) and only visit walk-in clinics which makes it difficult to visit just to say you feel generally unwell but nothing specific.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: is it worth exploring if this could be lupus?

Hi, Daniellexo, & welcome! What do your abnormal rashes after sun exposure look like? How long do they last? What part of your body? Do they scar or depigment? Itch? Etc.

In addition to the well-known butterfly rash, which you said you don't get, there are other rashes that are lupus-specific, which is why I asked. These can be examined & biopsied by a dermatologist.

If a rash is determined to be lupus-specific, you do have some form of lupus. I say "some form" because there are various forms/severities: e.g., systemic (classic SLE, which can range from acute to subacute), subacute cutaneous ( = SCLE, which can also range from serious to mild, but is thought to have better odds than classic SLE), or discoid (DLE, which mainly affects skin but can also cause some subacute symptoms like fatigue & arthralgia).

The severity of the disease depends on your overall symptoms, not just the rash. Also, some people actually get multiple kinds of lupus rashes. I had many years of SCLE targetlike nonscarring rashes, then got a big "discoid" on my face.

The good thing (!?!) about a rash is that it's not subjective---unlike you going in & saying you feel "generally unwell", as you put it. So that's why I focused on rashes first. Post more when you can, OK? Meanwhile, sending best wishes. Sincerely, Vee

Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

nanna870 HB User
Re: is it worth exploring if this could be lupus?

i have all the systems that was stated in the message board,i get rashes,pain in my joints,tmj"s, heart palpitations was so severe once i was on two beta blockers, the drug plaquenil is working hard on my vision really bad. they say that there is another drug,but i don't have the best medical coverage, and most doctors want see you.any info or help you can provide would be helper. thanks

Closed Thread