It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Facial Flushing....??

My daughter is no 16...she was diagnosed with class 4 lupus Nephritis 2 years ago this april...full kidney failure, dialysis, chemo, massive steroids ect ect...she has been doing very well....she does get a very red and hot facia flushing and we are trying to figure out if it is the Lupus or what else could be the cuprit...it is not the butterfly rash.....her whole face is red and she sits with ice on it. Does anyone else experience this....and input on the culprit?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

laura61 HB User
Re: Facial Flushing....??

My daughter ,now 15 she was diagnosed with class 4 lupus Nephritis this August .She was in the hospital for a week and had a kidney biopsy and at that time she had her first infusion of chemo. She then had 5 more after once a month and was on 60 mg of prednizone. We just decreased it to 30 mg and they also put har on cellcept once she finished the chemo. they now want to increase that however she is having some side effects.Anyway, yes she will get very red in the face and hot. I guessit seems to happen more after she has been running or such. Yes, I get very concerned and forgot to bring itup at the rhuemotologist app. If you find out anymore information and same here I will let youknow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I posted this same question on the cancer board, maybe this one too? My 15 year old is being tested for Lupus and "flushing disorders" as she gets this flush on her face at the oddest times. At the same time though she also gets diareah { I really need to learn to spell this word } and swollen knees , feet and trouble breathing. Her Derm dr said it could be carcinoid syndrome so she just did a 24 urine test , to test for 5h1aa {I think I remembered it all} this weekkend. The results take 7-10 days!It's a good thing I am taking her to TX to visit familiy, to take her mind off how sick she feels. She has had abdominal pain for so long, she has thought she was passing another kidney stone. She has hydroneprososis{sp}and had surgery 3 yrs ago. She is nauseated ALL the time now, it never went away after her sugery. She also has a congenital brain defect although you wouldn't know it, she has a 3.98 GPA.

Look into the flushing disorders .

Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine46 View Post
I posted this same question on the cancer board, maybe this one too? My 15 year old is being tested for Lupus and "flushing disorders" as she gets this flush on her face at the oddest times. At the same time though she also gets diareah { I really need to learn to spell this word } and swollen knees , feet and trouble breathing. Her Derm dr said it could be carcinoid syndrome so she just did a 24 urine test , to test for 5h1aa {I think I remembered it all} this weekkend. The results take 7-10 days!It's a good thing I am taking her to TX to visit familiy, to take her mind off how sick she feels. She has had abdominal pain for so long, she has thought she was passing another kidney stone. She has hydroneprososis{sp}and had surgery 3 yrs ago. She is nauseated ALL the time now, it never went away after her sugery. She also has a congenital brain defect although you wouldn't know it, she has a 3.98 GPA.

Look into the flushing disorders .
Sorry to hear your daughter is suffering so much! Lupus is so diffucult to diagnose...My daughter became ill very quickly and gained 27 lb in 7 days, she became nauseas and took her in....the rest of the store is a nightmare. I hope your daughter does not have Lupus. My daughter would rather have cancer as people know what that is and how to treat it better than lupus....Lupus never goes away....Please keep us updated on what her tests show...I was surprised to get a response as I have no idea why it happens and she gets so upset about it..it lasts for hours and is so hot.
Best wishes for your daughter and her test results!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

laura61 HB User

I just wrote about my daughter having facial flushing but she also has had a tough time with diarrhea . Now the doctors are trying to figure out if it is from the cellcept or something else? The rheumatologist even suggested going to a gastro....???Whatever the doctor is that treats that stuff.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My daughter is on Myfortic( cellcept with a stomache protectant)...Wonder if that is causing the flushing....her Rheumy did not think any meds were causeing it but everyone reacts differently...Keep me updated on what you find out.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

My daughter isn't on any meds right now, so her flushing is a natural occurence. I did look up the Lups Nephritis, she fits all the criteria, has for awhile, and her kidney has not been functioning at a normal rate in yrs. She tested positive for APS and has Raynauds so I know that autoimmune disorders go handin hand. At one time it was thought she might have MS as they thought I had MS. Right now I am still in limbo .I myself have had positive ANAs but my Rheum dr thought they weren't significant?I have Epilepsy and also APS , RLS{so does Mary} and Raynauds as well as Hashimotos.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
(female)

laura61 HB User

Does anyone know what causes the flushing?My daughter seems to be getting it more often .Does it mean anything ? I am going to ask the doctors atthe next visit.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

look up flushing disorders. i am hoping my daughter does not have the adrenal tumor or carcinoid syndrome that they suspect{and tested} her for . We have to wait days for the urine and blood tests.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

We found out the results of my daughters first round of tests, they show she might have adrenal tumors. She now has to see the Endocrinology dr to further rule out this.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine46 View Post
We found out the results of my daughters first round of tests, they show she might have adrenal tumors. She now has to see the Endocrinology dr to further rule out this.
Keep us updated on your daughter! She is in our thoughts and prayers!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Thanks, Funny thing is even after her one test came back elevated for a pheo -something or other they are still sending her to a Rheum Dr tomorrow {one she saw about 2 yrs ago from Children's} to rule out/in Lupus or some other autoimmune disease. I just don't want them to waste time and make a mistake. Meanwhile she feels like crap all the time, sleeping when she gets home from school, and in pain.

Closed Thread