It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2001, 12:35 PM   #1

Irish HB User
Talking What about Nosebleeds?

Do any of you Lupus patients have nosebleeds? I was diagnosed about 6 years ago and just recently I have had a few nosebleeds. It really scares me because I am not sure what is causing it. I hate to make an appointment with my doctor just for nosebleeds.

It will start suddenly and just pour from one nostril. I am also on blood pressure medicine (Accupril & Norvasc) and wonder if it could be one of them.

I had another one last week and was about to grab my car keys and take off for the doctor's office when it stopped.

If you ever have this problem, let me hear from you.

Old 05-06-2001, 03:30 PM   #2
(female)

Ann S HB User
Hi Irish,
I like your post name!! I have a great love for Ireland, its music, etc.
Anyway, about the nosebleeds......... the Norvasc that you are taking is a calcium channel blocker which is the same as the adalat that I take for Raynauds. I've noticed that I bleed easier or more since I've started it. I haven't had nosebleeds, but often when I blow my nose now, there will be a few spots of blood. Do the nosebleeds coincide close to when you started it? Neither one of the drugs you listed (or mine) list that as a side effect though. I wouldn't make an appt. with your Dr. about it, but couldn't you just call and talk to his nurse about your concern? I do think its worth mentioning to them.
Good luck, Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2001, 06:19 AM   #3

Jeri HB User
Hi Irish,
Don't forget that one of the symptoms of lupus is nasal ulcers- and they are usually painless. Ann's advvice to call the dr's office is good- and be sure to remind him to look in your nose during your next exam.
The sores could invade a capillary- thus causing the temporary bleeds. If you are also on meds that interfere with cotting- the bleed may last a bit longer than normal.
worth checking into. I had a nasal ulcer for about 18 months that finally cleared up on its own. That was before I was dx with lupus- so never even mentioned it to my rheumie. I laughed when I read about mouth and nasal sores a couple of months ago cause I had never heard of that symptom linked to lupus. Another one of those "aha" moments. :-)
Jeri

Closed Thread