It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2001, 07:12 AM   #1

san HB User
Question What is the normal range for ana test?

I am wondering if anyone knows what a normal ana test should be. OR, what is considered high enough to be concerned. My gyn dr. ran a few tests due to my major fatigue & achiness & pains. He called & said the ana was 'slightly' high & to follow up with my family doctor. Well, the family doctor said "I don't think it's anything", but is going to run an Arthritis profile II (whatever that is) to be safe. I don't know what my ana was, but when I go back< I want to ask. thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to san:
bamabred (10-20-2011)
Old 12-13-2001, 07:45 PM   #2
Inactive

renae HB User
I don't know what the normal is for ANA-I can't remember. The best thing for you to do is when your doctor gives you your results ask him what normal is or better yet, ask for a copy of all of your lab results. At least on mine, they tell you what the normal range is and what my actual results are. I'd look it up for you but I don't have them available right now! Acutally, I'm requesting them again and should have them next week. If you don't know by then, ask me again and I'll look it up for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2001, 05:47 PM   #3

san HB User
Renea,
thanks for the reply. Please let me know your results.
I don't go back to doctor until Jan. 8th or so?? Having a complete Arthritis Profile II done at the end of this month (whatever that is).
I am going to ask my doctor for copies of everything too, thanks again

Old 12-17-2001, 06:09 PM   #4
Inactive

renae HB User
Hi san--My ANA is considered "sky high". It is 1:1680.
Normal is much lower than that. I will be picking up copies of my labs on Wednesday and can then see what normal is for sure and let you know then.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:18 PM   #5
Inactive

renae HB User
I'm sorry for the delay but wanted to get back to you with what is considered a normal ANA test result:
A titer below 1:160 is usually considered "negative" or not
present.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-08-2002, 10:05 AM   #6

SusanM HB User
An elevated ana level is partially dependent on the lab doing the test. a level as low as 1:40 can be considered borderline positive, and ones 1:80 are usually considered positive. With lupus people usually have levels much higher than these, and many healthy people have low positive ana levels.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:01 PM   #7

san HB User
Thanks for your info. I had my lab follow-up today & doctor said I am still on the low end, but nothing major. Alls he said is "40 is normal, you are about 80" He said I don't have lots of other symptoms for anything in particular, so I am to follow-up in 6 months for lab tests again, BUT if in the mean time, notice changes, to let him know.
The main reason he ran the tests was due to my extreme fatigue, doing a thyroid test & decided to add the ana check too. I didn't today, but I am going to call & ask if I can get a copy of my reports, so I can understand what he is looking at more.... hopefully he will let me get them now. thanks again

Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #8

eliteagrus HB User
Re: What is the normal range for ana test?

I was positive at 1:80 (negative on my labs tests was 1:40) They put me on prednisone for my entire pregnancy to avoid a loss (I'd had a history of many losses...)

I went back and demanded another test because I've had 2 years worth of headaches (25 a month for two YEARS) and it came back 1:320 (on the same chart of positives and negatives, but a different dr reading the results...) He said it was positive but very low, so THAT wasn't the problem. I went to my ob with those same results and he said, That's a LOT worse, I'd be getting that checked out!!!

VERY discouraging!

eli

Old 01-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #9

san HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteagrus
I was positive at 1:80 (negative on my labs tests was 1:40) They put me on prednisone for my entire pregnancy to avoid a loss (I'd had a history of many losses...)

I went back and demanded another test because I've had 2 years worth of headaches (25 a month for two YEARS) and it came back 1:320 (on the same chart of positives and negatives, but a different dr reading the results...) He said it was positive but very low, so THAT wasn't the problem. I went to my ob with those same results and he said, That's a LOT worse, I'd be getting that checked out!!!

VERY discouraging!

eli
THANKS for this info. I have been feeling o.k., so my dr. has never ordered more lab tests. What are they doing for you now? Any other abnormal lab tests? SAN

Old 01-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi,

My doctor in Texas told me normal was 1:39 or less. I was 1:40 and 6 weeks later was 1: 600. It's important to repeat the test after some time passes. At that 6 week mark, I felt great. Go figure.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #11

san HB User

Barbara H.
So, now what are they doing for you? Anything? Do you have any sypmtoms of immune disorders? thanks

Closed Thread