It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2002, 10:51 AM   #1

SusanM HB User
Post Question regarding siblings for those who have been diagnosed with lupus

I have had many health problems that started several years ago, but have never had the classis fever and joint pain that lupus often presents with. I do get joint pain on certain meds. Regardless, my doc suspected lupus when my problems began. I have never met enough of the criteria for a positive diagnosis. I just found out that I have a sister (I have not seen her in many years) who has severe SLE. My question-has anyone else with lupus had a sibling or been in my situation and eventually met the criteria for lupus? I have had positive ana, antiphospholipid antibodies, autoimmune thyroiditis, migraines, skin problems etc. Any responses appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2002, 07:51 AM   #2

Karen-kay HB User
Hello. I have three girls, ages 16, 12, and 11. I don't really know what's going on with all of them, but I can't tell you what I know. I have connective tissue and am taking mobic and plaquenil. My 16 year old, has lupus- with brain involvement. My 11 year old tested neg for ana, but has has protein and blood in her urine for 6 months and has been getting severely anemic since. My 12 year old tested positive ana LoW, but is now seeing a nuerologist for severe muscle spasm (on valium). So if you want to talk about the possiblities. Anything is possible. I wish I could help more, but I just don't know much. Take care of yourself.
God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive

renae HB User
Your chances of having lupus are very strong because you have a sibling who has it. I was dx last summer--like you I did not have the classic symptoms. I did have the fever but no joint pain whatsoever. The persistent fever for about 6 months is what led them to do some lab work and I didn't even know at first what they were looking for! So, I was stunned at the diagnosis.

You mentioned the lab work you've had done--are you experiencing any physical symptoms at all? Have they checked your urine? It turns out that my lupus is in my kidneys so other than the fever, the urine test told them something was wrong.

Just make sure they check everything and treat your symptoms.

Old 04-09-2002, 07:24 PM   #4

Tinika HB User
Red face

I have lupus and I am 17. I was diagnosed about four years ag. Then my sister was tested and she had possitive ANA one time, and negative the rest of the times that she was tested. Howeveer, both of my parents also have symptoms several times through out theri life, and there is the possibility that my grandmother had lupus also, but it is undeterminded because she died before moder medicine reached a decent point in history. Also, I have an friend whose mother has many symptoms, and she has a son who also has many of the symptoms along with some other problems.

Old 04-18-2002, 01:11 PM   #5

SusanM HB User
Thanks for the replies. I have also found out recently that my mother has SLE too. I have a doc who doesn't take much about me serisouly anymore. He says I have a "tendency toward autoimmunity." He has not ordered a urinalysis. I have never had persistent low grade fever though. Recent test show positive ANA 1:160, and also low positive anit-smooth muscle antibodies. These are associated with autoimmune hepatitis, but my liver function tests are normal so apparently it's not important. Anyone ever have liver problems??? Susan

Closed Thread