It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #1

san HB User
Question pinpoint red dots/petechiae??

Has anyone one had any tiny red dots on body about the size of a pin point? I think it is called petechiae. If so, can ya give me more info.

Old 03-05-2002, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

Ann S HB User
I have them all over my stomach, but was told by a regular Dr. that they were just blood vessel breaks. They are tiny dots though about the size of a pin head. Are they related to Lupus or another AI disease? Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2002, 06:21 PM   #3

san HB User
Unhappy

Thanks for replying, I am not sure if they are related to any disease, that is what I am trying to find out. I have had other tests done & symptoms leading towards Lupus. At 1st, my doctor just kept telling me to come back & redo tests. I told him last time I would like to see a rheumatologist(?sp) and he said he will run some other tests in a couple months, nothing is too bad at this time. I noticed the spots a few weeks ago, but recently noticing more & more. I tried to find info on the net, and it seems to lead me towards one more thing 'possibly' involved with Lupus. I want to see my doctor, but I don't want him to think I am a hypocndriac :-)....so I am trying to get more info as to if it is serious, or can wait until the end of this month when I got back to the doctor. I called, and of course only got the nurse....she said if it worries me much, to come see him. ugh!

Old 03-30-2002, 01:53 PM   #4

Mary Crimmins HB User
I have these little red spots on my stomach,thighs and now they are appearing around my eyes.Anyone else have these?

Mary http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 04-09-2002, 06:19 PM   #5

Tinika HB User
Red face

Yes, I have petichie. The thing is that I have it because of ITP which is a chronic disease related to Lupus. I have the dots up and down both my legs, some on my chest and stomach, and arms because of itching, or simply playing with my dog. I also, sometimes get them on my face, and of course, simply wherever because of nothing in particular. It isn't rare for peps with lupus to get ITP symptoms, but just be careful about taking pain meds with asprin in them because that will make the dots get worse, and you may start to get really apparent bruises also. Good luck, Christina~

Old 05-21-2002, 08:45 AM   #6

Kaecee HB User
I have these too. Not sure why or what they are or from. If anyone ever find out please let me know I I find out will do the same. Mary I use to live in Puyallup Wa. Also went to Sumner High school.

Old 05-21-2002, 03:08 PM   #7

animallover HB User
Tiny red pinpoint dots under the surface of the skin may be petechiae or vasculitis of smaller blood vessels. I was diagnosed with ITP (another AI disorder that destroys platelets in the blood and makes it difficult for the body to stop bleeding) years ago after many months of unexplained bruising and then rashes of petechiae.
Petechiae usually occur when platelet levels in the blood are low; they are small areas under the skin where capillaries begin bleeding (happens all the time) but cannot stop bleeding as soon as usual. The petechiae themselves are not dangerous but could be a sign of low platelets, which might be of concern depending on HOW low they are (mine are typically low but haven't been dangerously low for years). Get to a physician as soon as possible to let him/her check out the spots and possibly order a simple blood test (CBC) to check your platelet level. If nothing else, this is good for peace of mind.
I recently began noticing more outbreaks of the pinpoints and went quickly to the doctor to get a CBC. However, the doctor felt that these other dots were vasculitis, a condition where (as best I can tell) the blood vessels under the skin become enlarged or in some other way move up closer to the surface of the skin in areas, making them visible to you. According to the doctor, this is not entirely uncommon and can occur for a variety of reasons. This symptom by itself usually isn't cause for concern.
If the spots are petechiae, they are more likely to occur in patches together, turn brown with time rather than stay red, and begin on the legs or feet. If the spots are vasculitis, however, they will remain bright red for a longer period of time, may be somewhat raised, and will blanch out (fade briefly) with pressure. I find it hard to see this effect using my finger and trying to pull it off in time to see the blanching, so I use a piece of glass (old eyeglass lens) to mash on the skin and watch through the glass to see if the spots fade.
It wouldn't hurt to see the doctor and request a CBC - like I said, it's great peace of mind and, in the event that the spots are petechiae, may allow you and your healthcare provider to give you better treatment.

Closed Thread