It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2002, 05:26 PM   #1

AlaskaChickie HB User
Question What could this be?

Just wondering if anyone might have an idea on, what the heck is going on with my daughter... About 1 & 1/2 months ago she the most interesting rash... Well, I'm not sure I would call it a rash... She was fine (normal skin) at 9:15 pm when she went to brush her teeth getting ready for bed... She came back downstairs she was in tears just freaking out about hives(as she called them) I took her into a well lit room and thats when I saw these things... They looked like Targets All over her back,stomache,neck,ears... Some on her face... She also had this really strange red patchy (ummmm thing... Thats all I can think to call it...) Across her face... (Around her eyes and across her nose... Mostly around her eyes... I took her in to the doctor the next morning... Our doctor was not in... The Doc that we saw wasn't sure what I was so,She said to bring Gina back(thats my childs name)When our doc was in... She thought it was Erythema Mutliforme, She said if she got worse bring her back in right away... So, the next day the school nurse called and told me I needed to pick Gina up from school and take her to the Doctor ASAP... So, We saw a different doc than the first time (ours still wasn't in)She too thought it was Erythema Mutliforme... So, I looked it up online... Didn't look anything like what Gina has going on... The following morning Our Doc was back... We went in and saw him... He said that it is NOT Erythema Mutliforme... He felt it looked more like Urticaria... But not to sure... So he started Gina on Prelone... Said that if it went away... That it was Urticaria... So, about 5 days later it was gone... Anyhow, She broke out again with a diff. type hive... Ok, she was on Prelone for 5 weeks... also, clarinex...Well, this time they came back with a vengeance... Looks just like it did the first time 1 & 1/2 months ago... Our doc has no clue what it could be... He said that if it were Erythema Mutliforme or Urticaria it would clear up with the prelone and NOT come back... We have done alot of research online and came by Discoid Lupus... Looks so much (100%) like what my poor girl has going on... I made her an appt. with a Dermatologist... Not sure what to do... She says that her vision is blury... she has really bad night sweats... Coughing all night also... (she has asthma)This time they are in her ears,up her nose in her mouth,as well as on her back,neck,head,chest,thighs Etc. The Doctor did alot of blood work on her... ANA was normal... Mononucleosis test came Positive... CBC was a little out of wack but not bad... So, tell me what ya think...
Thanks for your time...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Inactive

renae HB User
Hmmm...interesting. I'll tell you why. I'm now 42 and when I was in college I too had those same type of skin issues. Mine did not happen quite so suddenly though but the description you give of it sounds the same. After going to several doctors, I finally went to a derm who diagnosed it as multiforme erthy...
It was treated, went away but I got it again every spring for the next few years. I thought it was allergy related because I do have severe allergies and asthma as well. I then didn't get it for awhile and then it started to come back a couple of years ago but I nipped it in the bud and went to the doctor right away.

I started having some symptoms late 2001--swollen glands, sore throat, fever, etc. Mono test came back positive. When it seemed to last too long, further testing showed a very high ANA and then a lupus diagnosis followed. Lupus can cause a false-positive mono test.

So while I really hope your daughter does not have lupus, there seem to be many similarities in our stories. I don't know how old she is but I'd talk to your doctor about your concerns and maybe get in to see a immunologist or rheumatologist.

I hope this has helped you some.

Closed Thread