It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

mindy1974 HB User
BIG BIG diet changes for health...maybe :)

Hello All!
So I have been doing a ridicules amount of research on a diet that might make a big different in how I feel. Lately there is a lot of evidence on something called calorie restriction diet for people with chronic pain and disease. Most avadence shows a 30 % change in patients within 3 months. I asked my doc about it and he said that as long as we stay onto my blood work and symptoms -that I should give it a go. His RA patchents do well with a strict anti- inflammatory diet. Its really about a lot more veggies, fruits and lean proteins, and small amount of grains. Also lots of supplements and fluids. And a big reduction in over all calories. I think I am going to give it a try. Just wanted to know if others have seen positive changes in over all health with big diet changes.
Thanks you guys!!!!!
derlinda

Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

*erica* HB User
Re: BIG BIG diet changes for health...maybe :)

Hi derlinda
I haven't tried any big diet changes but I seen the episode on Oprah about calorie restriction diets. It was amazing! Dr. Oz estimated that one of the people on calorie restriction would live to be 125! It sounded like a great thing to me and I have been contemplating whether or not to try it myself. The people who had done the diet were all extrordinarily healthy, looked SO young for their age, and had an increased estimated life span. I'm sure if you looked on Oprah's website you can find more information about those people's success stories. You may even be able to watch the original episode. If you find out any more about it I'd love to hear about it Have a good day!
-Erica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

Hi E!
i did see that, and then i saw a study on 60 minutes. i have been reading medical reports on it for 2 weeks now--- wow! its the most hope i have felt in a long time. i know its not a cure but it could help with the pain and the mood swings. i will give up chips and candy for that
lets keep updated, i will be starting next friday.
have a super weekend!
delinda

Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi derlinda, This sounds interesting I did not see the O' show. I have however tried lower cal diets and stick to them most of the time. When I can be consistent for several weeks I notice a big difference in pain and energy. I stay away from the junk foods, sugar especially and eat protein and veggies and grains. Good Luck.
Glojer

Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

hey there D
Best i ever felt (lupus in remission) no meds was when i went EASTERN ... mistake was that i never went to my rheumie and did the blood works to confirm ... next time!
anyway the relevance is that the chinese doc had me on a strict raw organic diet (there were other treatments involved as well)
it was really easy to adapt to and actually tasted great ... i am pursuing growing my own vegetables to counter the cost of organic produce and do believe that the nutrients in these organic foods benefit us far more than all the toxic sugars, salt (read somewhere v.bad for lupies ? brain fog prevails please do not hold any inaccuracies against me) the processed, hormone injected, genetically modified foods we buy and try and survive on ... yuck
Good luck
Keep us posted

Last edited by Angel MJ; 04-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I will be starting next Friday, its a slow long process to get on this diet but I think that is a good sign. I would start now but Iím going on a big trip to Austin Texas (the texas heat, being at sea level, and humidatey always makes me feel a bit better- strange right?), so I will be eating out 3 times a day and surrounded by the most ridicules yummy food, so Iím going to eat healthy but Iím sure I will have my share of fried everything and cupcakes the size of a small child head. Iím most looking forward to a shift in my fatigue.
Chin up!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: BIG BIG diet changes for health...maybe :)

Hiya derlinda,

Good for you looking into things that will be of benefit in the dietary department. I personally have never changed my diet in any way. I just don't eat what doesn't feel good. For instance, I know that to have English fish and chips each night would be a no-no, having lots of sugary foods would make me feel sick, stodgy foods would make for lethargy - this is the type of food regime I maintain. This way I can assess what is good for me personally and what is bad. I do think though that reducing calories is a good thing just so long as you don't overdo it and make yourself more unwell by losing too much body fat and energy. This can be as bad as having too many calories.

Good on you though to have found/been looking into a system that you think might be beneficial to you. Hope it works for you when you start it - when you come back from your wonderful trip. Good luck with that too.

goldenwings

Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
(female)

Nadesico HB User

I have a big big BIG problem with diets i tried all but this one of course... anywho none have worked for me but i know what the problem is now, i havent been able to get out and because my money has been totaly crap i cant go anyway since i need to get taxies places since i cant walk to town its too far... good excersize but bad for me... anywho.... i was wondering if there is any thing specail i have to do for this Cal thingy??? i need to do something as i am getting fed up of mom and everyone telling me to eat less.... how much more do they want me not to eat... i only have dinner now cause i am getting fed up of them telling me i should eat less.... i try tell them its not my eating its the lack of excersize thanks to money and no transport so... i was ust wandering about this one see if itll help... if not what else is there?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

GW thanks for the support. I’m starting to make small changes to get ready for a big change. I know when my weight gets low I only get my periods every few months, and that is a welcome experience because my periods bring such depression and back pain. Even at my lowest weight my doctor thought I was ok. I know I need some fat t stay healthy and energized. I know we all have food we love but I have a food I hate- it broccoli. But every time I eat a huge serving of broccoli I feel instantly better. Sold, upbeat and a bit more energy. Maybe I can learn to love it.
Happy Saturday!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

up date... i have made some major changes and my tummy feels a bit better i also seem less depressed in the morning. my energy is a bit up and the need to nap is not strong at all. i still need to work on more veggies but the major increase in fruit and total decrease in all red meet has helped my lower gut allot!!!
love to ya all!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Good on you girl!! If it suits you then carry on - keep an eye on things though, don't overdo it with too many veggies as this can give you a bad tummy. If you like cauliflower, why not try it with a cheese sauce? Then you get the veggies plus you get some dairy - unless you are cutting down on dairy.

Take care,

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

hi Gwings!!!
yes have to watch over doing it with the veggies, if i do to much then i am stuck in the bathroom for most of the morning.....
i have been eating alot more cheese then i normally do and i am loving having that as a treat to look forward to after a day of fruits, grains, and veggies..
happy tuesday doll,
derlinda

Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

Well I let the food slip amd now I'm feeling less the Great. Guess it wasa helping allot more then I knew.....oxox

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

i think that it is still great tho - you can feel the difference between the good & the junk ...
also the longer you stick to it the more of a habit it becomes & it does get easier!
hang in there! eat right!

Closed Thread