It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2002, 12:28 PM   #1

tonzie HB User
Post Lights in certain stores!!!

I just discovered that when I go into certain stores the lights make me sick..Very sick. Like I have to get out now. I have wondered for years why this happens in certain stores, and the other day someone suggested it is the lights. I went to the store that this bothers me and sure enough it happened again..The thing that is so bad is it is my favorite craft store...boo hoo....Does anyone else have this problem...I wonder if sunglasses would work..?

Old 06-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Wink

That's a new one. I know the lights suck when you're trying on bathing suits, but other than that, can't complain.

Have you mentioned that to your doc? (I can only imagine the look mine would give me!)

What sort of symptoms are you having? Very sick is kinda broad...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 08:08 PM   #3

Itty Kitty HB User
You might be sensitive to flourescent lights. I am. The doctor put a pink tint on my reading glasses to help me in school and it made my eyes feel less fatigued. I'm not sure if this will help, but it might be worth a try. The cheapest method would be sunglasses. I suggest you try them first.
Take care!

Old 06-20-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

honour8@bigpond.com.au HB User
Cool

Hey isn't that annoying I have always had trouble there and wondered why and what causes it. I have SLE and Hashimotos Thyroiditis with Psoriatic arthropathy....it is always your fav store, I would love to know what causes this....

Old 07-07-2002, 04:20 PM   #5

tholavina HB User
The reason you have a problem with the lights is because businesses use florescent light bulbs. Those lights put out UVA and UVB rays, same thing the sun puts out that causes Lupus patients to be sick. Some patients are so sensitive that even reflected light from the sun coming in the window and bouncing off the floor causes them to be seriously ill. Knowing this, you would think that hospitals would change their lights wouldn't you? The best way to combat this is to wear sunblock at all times, the highest SPF you can find. It was suggested to me when I was diagnosed to wear what they called a "froggie suit". To tell the truth, that didn't sound really great to me as a 14 year old, so I didn't go find out what that was. Really sensitive patients need to cover as much of their skin as is humanly possible. I've heard that is what the froggie suit does. I have been lucky not to be that sensitive to light, but know of many who are. They wake up every morning and put on sunblock with their make up. They also buy chapsticks and make up with sunblock in them. Good Luck.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:34 AM   #6

FranInMd HB User
Strangely enough, I test weakly positive for Lupus and I thrive on the sun. I have the "internal" type supposedly. I have just this summer started having headaches from the sun - which just upsets me terribly as I love the sun. My eyes have always been sensative to flourescent (bad spelling) lights. They have a certain flicker that just can ruin anyones day. Here at work I have a privacy screen on my computer to cut back on the lighting and above me here at work are flourescent lights. They have some called "blue" and "Yellow" - giving a tint. I have only one on above my desk which is of the blue tint. We have windows close by so it makes it a little easier on me. In the winter time inside my bldg the lights drive me crazy and I have used sunglasses at my desk - haha. I was diagnosed with "Classic Migraines" when I was 19. These type of Migraines caused a flickering in my optical and I would experience a blindness. I would have to go in a dark room and place a cold cloth on my eyes. This can really ruin one's day! Seems that these migraines get worse with hormonal fluctuation :-(

Closed Thread