It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2002, 04:51 AM   #1

Cook4Andy HB User
Question Rashes?

Hello everyone,

My sister has lupus and as broken out in a terrible rash which has me worried sick.

At first it was just on her arms, now it's spread all over her body.

Her Doctor has her taking predizone (sp)?..

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and have any advise.
I read some where that Vitamin A helps?!

Any input will be deeply appreciated.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #2

tonzie HB User
Hi, My friend and I both have lupus. She has had it for only a few years and we usually have lots of the same symptoms. She has had body rashes and I never have. The Dr. also put her on coritsone. She just recently went to an alternative dr. who told her to absoluetly quit all wheat or yeast. She has and her rashes have suddenly gone away.....She hopes it is because of the yeast, but it could also be that they are just leaving for awhile which they do sometimes and then come back. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she will be able to control these rashes with her diet....Good luck to you what ever you do...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2002, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

I eliminated all wheat/flour/pasta products, in addition to sugar. I've gotten rashes from time to time that seem to be centered on my upper arms or lower legs. I am steadfast in staying away from steroids (prednisone and cortisone) so my doc helped treat it topically - a gel/cream called Fluocinonide. Cleared my rashes up in about two days. It's a perscription.

Do the rashes itch or have any "heat" to them?

Old 07-01-2002, 05:52 AM   #4

Cook4Andy HB User
Smile

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions and advise, much appreciated!

Yes, her rashes do itch and have heat. I just got off the phone with her. She has had this rash for a couple of months. At first her doctor prescribed a spray to be used topically called "Kenolog" sorry I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling.

When that didn't work, her doctor prescribed steroids, which she stopped taking last Wednesday.
Her rash is drying and peeling, so we're hoping it's getting better?!

I told her about trying to avoid yeast, wheat, pasta and sugar. Ouch, she's a pasta freak. I told her to try and cut it out some. I also told her about the gel/cream "Fluocinonide" which she took note of.

I appreciate your feedback and good luck to you both.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 AM   #5

FranInMd HB User
Cook4Andy: I am sorry about your Sister. I also had rashes that seemingly are associated with allergies to Wheat products. I was in serious desperation and losing weight rapidly and in and out of the hospitals until I started following a Gluten Free Diet. You can go to any health food store and find products that are gluten free. I was also on Prednisone (steroid) until my body cleared up from the hives that would surface in the middle of the night until I started following this type of diet. My problems are not so much related to the gluten sensativity now and seem to be stemming into the headachey stage. I wish you and your Sister good luck.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #6

SusanM HB User
Just wanted to say that the gel/creme flu...that was mentioned in previous post, I believe, is a topical steroid that comes in different strenghts. I have had terrible problems with rashes and have been prescribed it numerous times. Topical steroids can be problematic too causing rebound problems, thinning of the skin etc. Susan

Old 07-11-2002, 06:24 PM   #7

Cook4Andy HB User
FranInMd & Susanm, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated

FranInMd & Susanm, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated

My sister was seeing a regular doctor. I told her of what I read on here and she decided to go back to a dermatologist. He has prescribed some new medications. Hopefully these will help.

Wishing you all the best

Closed Thread