It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2002, 03:38 PM   #1

tholavina HB User
Post Breast Reductions and Lupus

Has anybody with lupus gotten a breast reduction? I've heard that it can interefere badly having general anesthesia when you have lupus. I am seriously needing to have this done for comfort's sake, but I don't want to take a risk that is just too big.
Thanks
Thol

Old 07-11-2002, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Thol-
I'm having one done in the next couple of weeks. I've been under general anesthesia several times and never had a problem other than nausea. But then again, lupus affects each one of us differently. My doctor's wife has fibro, so he's fairly "in the know" regarding autoimmune disorders.

BUT, when I go in for my pre-op work, I always bring a copy of my medical history (bloodwork, meds, etc) and tell them that I'd like to make sure I speak personally with the anesthesiologist. They have always been extremely responsive.

We have a lot of "issues" that your doctor need to be aware of - ask him/her if she's had experience with doing the procedure with lupers before. Mine is putting me on extra antibiotics and Procardia (to improve circulation) before the procedure.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #3

tholavina HB User
Thanks so much. I've never had anything done other than when my son was born...that was my first stitches and it was very minor. Though I suppose if I can be in labor for 16 hours and give birth, I can do a 4 hour procedure, right? I guess we'll just be really careful and I will do what you suggest and ask if the Dr. has ever worked with a patient with Lupus. I wonder....how many of you out there have larger than normal breasts...or more hormones than you really should? Wonder if it's related?

Old 07-24-2002, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

Tho -
The first couple of days are 'rough' but I plan on keeping myself in a drug-induced stupor. (ha ha) Some advice I was told by a friend that had it, is to pile pillows on either side of you, to keep your arms propped up. Don't bother buying new bras until you've healed fairly well. And it's going to take a while before it looks ok. (She was emphatic saying DON'T look at them until you have to - shocked her to death!)

If you have a Rheumy, you might ask him/her if they can recommend a plastic surgeon. (It's an unusual referral for them, I'm sure!) I'm lucky that I found one that specializes in breasts whose wife has an autoimmune disorder. If you don't have much success, I'd be happy to ask my doc for a referral next time I see him.

Old 07-27-2002, 10:43 PM   #5

tholavina HB User
Good advice...advice somebody might not think to tell me, thanks. I saw on TLC they have programs about breast reductions...they show the surgery itself. They have coming on in August, a surgery of a woman that is a cup size of PP (yes...it exists, can you believe it??) I don't know how small she is going, but I figure that's quite a bit bigger than me and if they can make HER look good and feel better about herself and have less body pain, then just imagine what they can do for ME. I'm going to tape the surgery and watch it over and over again until I'm totally desensitized by it and being cut doesn't bother me. I don't mind them being inside my body, it's getting past the skin that gets to me. (I am *probably* not helping your feelings out much by going on about this) I've looked at websites with tons of pics and stories about what it was like and journals that explained feelings about it day to day from beginning to end. I've greatly appreciated those. Hopefully watching the procedure will help. (You'd think a trained medical professional wouldn't be so scared of a little thing like this) Anyway, I'd like it if you would keep me posted on your progress, if you don't mind my nosiness. It will be a good year before my insurance will even consider it, I think. They want a "paper-trail". So that means going and getting massages and then coming back and saying that didn't work, then getting a better bra, and saying that didn't work, etc etc etc until they are satisfied that I really need the procedure. (HMOs suck) Well anyway, thanks a lot for everything!

Old 07-28-2002, 12:57 AM   #6
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

I've got an HMO too - but I am also "uneven" due to a birth defect called Poland Syndrome - so I guess the process is a little easier (6 weeks for approval). I've been complaining to my doctor for over a year about shoulder/neck pain, been seeing a chiro because I knew I wanted to get it done...

I can't bear to watch the surgery part of those procedures - I'm not going to be awake anyway - so what does it matter?

If you have to do the legwork, use the time to research and get referrals for the best breast doctor around. And remember to ask if he/she has had experience with Lupus patients - as we are special.

Closed Thread