It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

belliott HB User
Red face Itchy facial rash

Has anyone experienced a severely itchy, majorly red rash that presents like a bad sunburn then eventually swells and develops tiny blisters that ooze clear fluid? The rash is not on my nose (it's completely white) all over the face but under the eyes is the reddest. Everything I read says that the malar/butterfly rash is not itchy but since my nose is the only part of my face not affected it seems like it could be the malar rash. I thought it might be an allergic reaction to a medication however the rash is usually mild to nonexistant in the am and as the day progresses the rash becomes more itchy and red. This has been happening for the last five days. I have not been on any new meds that might cause such reaction except keflex but that was stopped several days ago and the rash is still persisting. Anyone experience anything similar? This is extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.Please Help!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

marie59 HB User
Re: Itchy facial rash

i have never had this or heard of this. have you called your doctor..i think you need to do that.. i hope you feel better soon. ...marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

belliott HB User

Thank you for your post. I actually finally got into see my Rheum. and he did confirm that it is the butterfly/malar rash. He said there are hundreds of different types of lupus rashes and that mine still looked like one because the rash did not cover my nose or nostrils and was the reddest on the cheeks and bridge of the nose. He prescribed me some prednisone and said to call him again if it comes back.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Itchy facial rash

Hello there, You aid you have seen and tralked with a doctor regarding this question. The thing is with a 'true' malar rash the nose will be red as will the cheeks red but the 'folds' at the side of the nose remain white - it dees not affect the whole of that area.

I would suggest - this information is given from me not in a medical way at all but from a long term patient with SLE - that you look into and discuss with your doctors the following if you can:-

Subacute cutaneous lupus of which there are 2 major types. The first one looks like red pimples when the rash first comes out then as itpersists and then the 'pimples' become might/can become bigger. Patients complain about the rash being very itchy. The rash usually appears on the face, chest, or arms and commonly comes on after sun exposure, and can usually worsens after more sun exposure.

The second type starts out as a flat lesion and gets bigger by expanding outward. The center may become less red and may even clear up completely so that, after a while, this rash looks like many circular red areas with clear holes in their centres. It can appear on the face, chest, arms, and back. It is very sensitive to the sun and, like the other form of subacute cutaneous lesions can usually be very itchy. The rash of subacute cutaneous lupus usually heals without scarring, or leaves a non-depressed scar or area of depigmentation where the rash had been. The thing is also that people with subacute lesions are very sun-sensitive.

Chronic discoid lupus lesions are found in about 20 percent of people with SLE. Chronic discoid lupus also is found in people who have absolutely no trace of systemic lupus. In these people, the lupus is confined to the skin and these lesions are slightly elevated, pink or red areas which form crust or flakes on the surface. As the lesions mature, the central area becomes depressed and forms a scar. These lesions rarely are found below the chin and practically never on the legs. However, chronic discoid lupus frequently is found on the scalp and in the outer ear. Lesions are itchy and get bigger by spreading outward, leaving a central scar.

Hope this information is not too long drawn out, but I feel it is relevant to your question. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Take care,

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
(male)

Ag1 HB User

It sems i suffer the same thing. Well, lets see. For years i get red itchy rashes over my face. Mostly my nose and cheeks. Somtimes, but rarely, on my chin too.

My allergist seems to think its related to insulin resistance. But we arent sure. If i eat meat, lollies or fat, i get the reaction. The meat is less so but the others are highly likely to show bad results.

Some possible causes that seem consistant are; fat/oil, meet, sea food, sugar (processed sugar mostly) and alcohol (beer and wine).

Any thoughts?

Ag,

Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post
Has anyone experienced a severely itchy, majorly red rash that presents like a bad sunburn then eventually swells and develops tiny blisters that ooze clear fluid? The rash is not on my nose (it's completely white) all over the face but under the eyes is the reddest. Everything I read says that the malar/butterfly rash is not itchy but since my nose is the only part of my face not affected it seems like it could be the malar rash. I thought it might be an allergic reaction to a medication however the rash is usually mild to nonexistant in the am and as the day progresses the rash becomes more itchy and red. This has been happening for the last five days. I have not been on any new meds that might cause such reaction except keflex but that was stopped several days ago and the rash is still persisting. Anyone experience anything similar? This is extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.Please Help!

Closed Thread