It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2002, 05:15 PM   #1

Junebug62 HB User
Question Early Lupus Symptoms?

What are the EARLIEST symptoms of Lupus?
I sometimes get these bright red patches on my cheeks,which are hot to the touch,and a little irritated.
Somebody at work mentioned LUPUS...I am not that familiar with the disease.
I also am always fatigued,stiff in the morning,some joint aches,but nothing that I can't manage.
I am just wondering about those patches on my face.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2002, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Lightbulb

Junebug,
Do the red patches appear after you've been in the sun? Lupus is often called the great masquerader because it's difficult to diagnose. Your best bet is to see your primary care physician for some basic bloodwork.

You may test positive OR not - many "newbies" often test negative for quite some time, despite having many symptoms. Some never test positive but the blood test is not like a pregnancy test - it's not black/white. The criteria for diagnosing lupus includes at least 4 of 11 symptoms.

There is a sort of "bible" of Lupus that might be of help - you can get it at most bookstores or libraries. It's called "The Lupus Book" by Patterson - it's got a teal green cover. The first chapter or two get very technical but after that, it's very helpful for newbies. You can also check out lupus.org (the Lupus Foundation) or arthritis.org (The Arthritis Foundation) for more info on Lupus. FYI - Lupus is an autoimmune disorder, much like Rheumatoid Arthritis - so we fall in the same "family" of ailments.

Talk to your doctor and get the blood test - it's the first step. And, keep us posted and let us know if we can shed any more light.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2002, 04:21 PM   #3

Junebug62 HB User
Thanks,scbagrrrl...(Checked your profile)...
stands for scubagirl??? Scuba Diving w/sharks,eh? LOL
I don't recall if the red patches come out after I've been in the sun....I ALWAYS use an SPF of 30 or higher.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the advice..its really appreciated.

Old 08-27-2002, 04:29 AM   #4
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Yep - I love diving with sharks - the closer, the bigger and the more, the better. Most folks thing I'm totally nuts but sharks have a bad rap. (I'm talking about the fish in the ocean, not the atty's!)

If the red patches were related to sun exposure - you would know it - it hits immediately after you're out there and can start when you still in the sun.

Still, talk to your doc about it. And I'd read up on the symptoms before seeing him/her so you can list the things off - it helps if you can indicate dates when they occurred. Also, are you on any sort of birth control pill? The estrogen can effect women with lupus in bizarre ways...

Old 08-27-2002, 07:08 AM   #5

Junebug62 HB User
Nope, no BC Pills...although I was on them for about 10 years or so...until hubby got a vasectomy.
Next time I get the patches I am going to have him take a picture so that I can bring it to my doctor.
Reading all the symptoms can make you turn into a hypochondriac!!
But..I DO seem to have 2 of them frequently..(chronic fatigue AND stiffness EVERY morning.

Thanks again...and BE CAREFUL with them sharks,ya hear???

Junebug

Closed Thread