It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002, 06:07 PM   #1

anita1008 HB User
Question anyone have answer

I went to my rummy today and was told that I have a postive ana with it being 1:160 he did nothing else and said that I didnt have Lupus, How does he know without doing anything else and what else could it be, I went back to my family Dr. and told him I wonted a second opinion, but now its going to be Oct30th before I go to the other Dr......Can anyone tell me what else this could mean? Thanks, Anita

Old 09-12-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

Ana,
I know its FRUSTRATING dealing with doctors when you're sure you have SLE. Have you read up on the disorder? What makes you think you have SLE?

A positive ANA is an indicator, but there is no cut & dry test to confirm lupus. A positive ANA can also point to other things as well. Did they order any more bloodwork or take a urine culture?

Have you tried asking your family doctor to call the 2nd opinion doctor directly and make an appt for you - that trick works for me every time and I usually get in in a matter of days.

Stress, whether you have SLE or not, is NOT good for you. Don't let this dominate your life right now. Pursue it but don't let it get the best of you. Realize that a SLE diagnosis can be quite a challenge.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2002, 08:01 PM   #3

anita1008 HB User
Thanks so much for the reply, I actually went back to my family dr. and he is sending me for my second opnion, I was digonoised with fibromyaliga about 3 yrs ago and some of the same symtons are with it also, so thats a big concer I have is that it could be this, fatigue is the one thing that sets everything off, I can be relaxed one min and then its like everyting goes to pieces, my body hurts all the time, just walking through the parking lot to go to work is a daily chore, I think I just wont to know for sure, I just dont feel like this DR. took the time to really to look at anything, thats why I would feel better if I had a doc that would take the time to really look over the situation and explain it all to me.....But again thanks for the response.....It really helps having someone who can help you look at the hole picture it really makes things alot easier...Anita

Old 09-22-2002, 07:39 PM   #4

Friends HB User
Smile

Anita,There are a host of other test that need to be done along with the 11 criteria chart for lupus to determine if someone has lupus.I would definately request that those blood test be done. Here are some of those test>>>Anti-dna,sedrate,antiphospolipid,and there are others.ALso a history and physical of you and your family members.There are also people that have Lupus that have negative test results.If really takes a qualified Rhematologist to determine if you have lupus.Just because the are Rhematologist does not mean that they know alot about lupus. I have been to 4 Rhemy's and finally the last one has been the best.It is very important to find a good doctor. Try to learn as much as you can about lupus!DR. DANIEL J. WALLACE'S BOOK IS VERY GOOD!!! IT HAS HELPED ME ALOT!! I wish you the best. PLEASE PUSH FOR MORE BLOOD TEST and make sure the doctor is listening. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

Closed Thread