It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #1

Kathy2sons HB User
Question alot of pain in elbows, hips, wrists,hands,but

I was wondering if havng alot of stomach aches etc. is a symptom of lupus?? I havn't been diagnosed yet. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis,fibromyalgia about two years ago. The last six months things are much different; I'm having rash/hives more often ( I always thought I just had sensitive skin)In 1988 when my second child was born I started noticing rashes, and was getting tired very easily, I went to a dermatologist, and he said that the rashes were "some type of reaction" I could have told him that. So I had been living with the reaction since 1988. After my diagnosis in 2000, I just assumed the other symptoms I have been having were related....This feels different. I have heard that it takes a while to get a lupus diagnosis??? Blood work many times??? I have a second opinion in September; I really don't think I can wait that long.. I'm gathering all of my lab work reports, etc. for my next appt. The rashes are also leaving little brown spot after the itching goes away. Any info on this would be great. We were at the beach recently, and I was under our umbrella, but within an hour I had hives, felt very warm, light headed, and with the worst stomach ache in my life. I don't want to chance going to the beach again. I also had sunscreen on, which I know I am not allergic to. I tried to keep this short.....ooops!!
Input please!!
Take care, Kathy

Old 08-02-2002, 05:17 PM   #2
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

Kathy-
I can't say I've ever had stomachaches that weren't associated with overeating or food poisoning. BUT, that's not to say that for you, it could be inter-related to an autoimmune problem. Each of us reacts differently. I don't get the typical sunrash but I am completely covered in small blisters with sun exposure. Then other times I can tan and tan and tan with absolutely no problem.

I know you're grabbing at straws but a diagnosis generally does take time and patience. And, the diagnosis isn't "the end" - it's just the beginning. I was expecting them to be able to "fix" me immediately. Learned that finding the right meds in the right combination takes time and there are no guarantees.

I don't want to sound like the angel of gloom and doom, but I think it's important that you have a realistic expectation after the appt.

Keep us posted. Take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy2sons:
I was wondering if havng alot of stomach aches etc. is a symptom of lupus?? I havn't been diagnosed yet. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis,fibromyalgia about two years ago. The last six months things are much different; I'm having rash/hives more often ( I always thought I just had sensitive skin)In 1988 when my second child was born I started noticing rashes, and was getting tired very easily, I went to a dermatologist, and he said that the rashes were "some type of reaction" I could have told him that. So I had been living with the reaction since 1988. After my diagnosis in 2000, I just assumed the other symptoms I have been having were related....This feels different. I have heard that it takes a while to get a lupus diagnosis??? Blood work many times??? I have a second opinion in September; I really don't think I can wait that long.. I'm gathering all of my lab work reports, etc. for my next appt. The rashes are also leaving little brown spot after the itching goes away. Any info on this would be great. We were at the beach recently, and I was under our umbrella, but within an hour I had hives, felt very warm, light headed, and with the worst stomach ache in my life. I don't want to chance going to the beach again. I also had sunscreen on, which I know I am not allergic to. I tried to keep this short.....ooops!!
Input please!!
Take care, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2002, 05:35 PM   #3

Kathy2sons HB User
Thanks for your reply; it's just so hard dealing with so many symptoms. I have thought many times I had the right meds to help me out, and then suddenly nothing works anymore
Thanks again; I will post again after my appt. for a seond opinion, and I'm sure much more blood work!!
Take care, Kathy

Old 08-19-2002, 10:17 PM   #4

hugsareit HB User
Kathy,
I was just diagnosed with Lupus.What a relief to finally have a diagnoses. About 4 years ago a doctor said it might be Lupus and now more symptoms showed and I do have it. I too have had lots of stomach problems -one of the causes was parasites. Also itching which could drive me up a wall and was told at first that I was allergic to a medicine. I also have burning in my body and bruises plus lots of pains in my bones. Im not happy that I have Lupus but at least now I know!
Take care, Syl

Old 08-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #5

Kathy2sons HB User
Thanks Syl for your reply. How were you diagnosed? Also, do you experience rashes? I get really sever rash/hives, and feel faint in the sun for too long. Bright lights also bother me in general. I will ask my doctor to check me for lupus.
Take Care, Kathy

Old 08-22-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Cool

Syl,
Bloodwork doesn't always conclusively say you have SLE or not. You might want to read up a little on the disease - when I started reading, I was like "EUREKA! That's me!". Some doctors will dx you as SLE without the positive blood tests - some won't. Some people never "officially" test positive, but they have all of the other indicators. But, the bloodwork is a good place to start.

If you get any more of the rashes/hives before seeing a rheumy, get someone to take some pics of your rashes - luck will have it that they will be gone before your appt - at least they can have something to look at.

Some things that can help in dx-ing it is reading up on the disease so you can be more aware of symptoms that might have gone unassociated, as well as triggers, and solutions. When you can reel off a list of symptoms you've been having, it helps the doctor in his/her job. Also, a delicate balance of patience and persistence help...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 09-24-2002, 06:39 AM   #7

Ceya HB User
Kathy,
I started with a rash, swelling joints and fever. I was dx with the parvo virus. That was almost a year. Blood work borderline. Now my doctor says he thinks it is lupus and has added a lupus med. I get a rash that iches alot. Some times my head iches, but you can not see anything. Looking back I broke out in terrible hives 2x never did know why. I also have stomach pain, this summer I had a hystoretomy, and then went to a gastrologist who says irritable bowel syndrom. I think it is related to what is wrong with me. The Rhemitologist doesn't, but I do.
Hope this helps - Good luck.

Old 10-02-2002, 03:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
could the 'bisters' your talkin about be the ones that get referred to as *****ly heat????? i have lots of aches etc and do suffer from wot other people (not doctors have called *****ly heat) could we be talking same thing??

Closed Thread