It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question Memory Loss or Lapses

I am having a hard time remembering simple things such as where I put things .i.e. my keys or a purse or when I did something. This morning, I went to my car to go to work and I couldn't remember putting my backpack in the car at all.I looked all over for my backpack and it was right in front of me the entire time!!!Sometimes my memory comes back very vaguely and sometimes I remember right away. I feel really weird about this because it has been happening a lot and now, the only excuse that I can say is, maybe it is caused not just by Lupus, but perhaps by a lack of actual sleep.This is bothering me somewhat, I don't have control over my memory "slip-ups". Does this happen to anybody else? Just curious..nightowl2
P.S. I do know that it helps to have a regular spot to put things, but, I am more worried about when things are smack in front of you and you just do not remember that it is there.I am not on any meds now.

[This message has been edited by nightowl2 (edited 07-08-2002).]

Old 07-09-2002, 10:51 AM   #2

tholavina HB User
It's very common to have memory lapses. One widely felt lupus symptom is "missing time". It is slight Central Nervous System (CNS) involvement. It comes and goes just like joint pain. Lupus moves all around the body and attacks all organs, your brain is an organ just like everything else. There was another post about what someone called brain fog. You might go check it out. There are times that I am missing hours, days, even weeks. When people expect me to remember something that they remember, I just tell them I've slept since then and shrug indifferently. They laugh it off, and I've saved face. It can get really embarrassing at times not having a clue about things you should.

[This message has been edited by tholavina (edited 07-09-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Smile

Thanks for the help....I still get frustrated,but, I guess I am not alone!
nightowl2

Old 07-11-2002, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Smile

Nightowl,
I understand what you mean. It drives me nuts too. Just the other day, I had taken something out of the fridge and set it down on the counter. Then I spent 5 mins looking in the fridge for it.

We have to make accomodations for ourselves. Leave your keys in the same place every day. Make a special place for it. Make routines - it's a lot easier to stick to things. Make lists - check off stuff you've done. And, tell your doctor about it. (It helps to write it down in case you forget or can't recall examples!)

Old 07-15-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question

Maybe, it isn't the lupus, maybe it is either old age, although I am not quite 40 yet or perhaps it's lack of sleep? Or depression, of which I think that I may be suffering from at this time(off and on).What do you think?Just a thought....Nightowl2

[This message has been edited by nightowl2 (edited 07-15-2002).]

Old 07-30-2002, 03:25 PM   #6

nvralone HB User
Have you been taking something to help you sleep or relax your muscles? I thought I had brain fog for years since I was diagnosed with Lupus and fibromyalgia. I would stop in the middle of a sentence and forget what the first half was, forget entire conversations while I was in them, forget names, what I'd done, why I came in rooms. It was very scary and interfered with my work and home life. Turns out, I had been on trazodone to help me sleep and upon going off it, my episodes have stopped. I can concentrate and no longer look like an idiot on a regular basis. I tried other sleep aids, and I had some trouble with other ones, though not as much. I never realized that could be the problem, because I didn't feel groggy or "hung over" as some people describe I could, I just got stupid. The difference is amazing however. I hope this helps someone.

Old 09-12-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Smile

Hi!
I think that I am now on the right track, I am on the medicine Effexor and it really helps for my sleeping and anxiety problems, a lot!! I was having huge sleeping problems because I am so sensitive, I am always worrying about somebody or something too much.(I think that it runs on my dad's side and my mom's side of the family, in other words it's genetic)!I am doing better, sleep-wise even though I am still a nightowl!! Effexor really konks you out!!!
nightowl2

Old 09-17-2002, 11:05 AM   #8

tonzie HB User
I have this happen to me alot lately also. I have the most trouble remembering certain small words in my sentence..I search for words to fit..I end up using words that will help me get my point across, but the actual words are gone..My father had altheimers disease and that is one of my biggest fears. I try to blame lupus tho..

Old 09-29-2002, 10:44 AM   #9

ninalicious HB User
Smile

Hi nightowl?
My mom has lupus and she suffers from memory loss also. It can a bother to her and she gets upset but it doesnt bother me cause I'm used to it. I try to be as helpful as I can. She also has Fibro M(cant spell it lol) and some other problems. I am just learning about all the problem she has. I hope it isnt bothersome for you. Have a nice day.

Sincerly,
Nina

Old 10-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #10

kimmi HB User
Wink

Brain Fart! I feel so ridiculous sometimes. I get in the middle of a sentence and can't think of a word. Or my children say "mom, you have asked me that several times! Sometimes I don't know what to blame....Lupus, menopause, stress....
Kim

Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
(female)

FLBucki HB User
Re: Memory Loss or Lapses

You're not alone, chica! Read my other post about teen's memory loss. Imagine how devastating to a profoundly gifted child, one who was multiplying and dividing at age 4; one who had an IQ only a small percentage of the population could stand alongside her. Insurance and some medical personnel don't take that too seriously, as "she can still function"!!!????? I guess they want her down to a vegetable level before she can be taken seriously. But I am still pushing for more tests.
Anyhow, use post it notes. Try & park in the same section at stores. Have a system for organizing, always the same way. BTW, daughter got a parking ticket because she forgot to put up the handicap sticker! Memory gets worse when under stress, too!!! (got parking problem cleared up). Re-learn with a smile; tell folks you are having a "brainfart", and they generally forgive you whatever small transgression you have made! Take copious notes. Use a highlighter. Employ memory tools like mnemonics and such to help you out. I don't know about you, but I am gonna solve the riddle of my child's memory loss, even if I have to shanghai every doctor in the book! P.S. If you have had chemo, you may also be suffering from "chemo fog". My poor girl had to have 6 bouts of chemo. So, she might have some of this going on. Cancer survivors talk about this lasting a year or so, some say they have never truly gotten over it.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
(female)

Public_NewSense HB User
Re: Memory Loss or Lapses

My grown kids often tease me about my memory loss but lately, my daughter has been saying I need to tell the doctor about it b'c she thinks it's getting serious. I admit, it embarrasses me when my kids--who often reminisce about their childhoods-say to me, 'remember when....?' and I don't remember. And it makes me feel bad b'c it's something that meant something to them.

Closed Thread